Cordelia's Honor (Barrayar / Shards of Honor / Aftermaths)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Series: Vorkosigan Omnibus (1), Vorkosigan: Chronological Order (Omnibus 2 & 3), Vorkosigan: Publication Order (Omnibus 1 & 8)

2,549744,323 (4.3)1 / 180
Made an outcast after being forced into an unwanted marriage with her arch enemy, Cordelia Naismith finds further trouble when her husband is made the guardian of the infant heir to the imperial throne. Original.
    Once a Hero by Elizabeth Moon (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: Or really any of the Serrano Legacy series. Flamboyant space opera with strong female characters.
    Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Memorably written female characters who are most definitely not the typical teenage/twenties protagonists, forced to make hard moral choices when political and military events spin beyond their control. Bujold's writing talents shine across both fantasy and sci-fi.… (more)
    Fault Lines by Kelly Jennings (reconditereader)
    reconditereader: Both are the start of sci-fi series in space, with family and hijinks!
    An Accidental Goddess by Linnea Sinclair (flemmily)
    Grimspace by Ann Aguirre (leahsimone)
    Finders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair (flemmily)
    flemmily: Sinclair writes in a more Romance Novel style, and creates a book which is a little more "adult content", but the plots are very similar, and I enjoyed both books a lot.

So far so good. I've had this recommended my way from so very many places. Liking. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
I read these separately, but together, they really make sense. From courtship to marriage to having a wonderful baby boy, it's definitely not about Miles, just as the title explains. Cordelia was always a very strong character in all of the books, but it was never as clear as here. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This got a Hugo award? It must be why I read so little science fiction. It was recommended off the C.J.Cherry fanclub site and so I tried it. Got to page 128 and decided it was clever romantic fantasy of a kind that does not appeal. Insights (such as the relationship between political power and the imagination) salted (with some clunking sounds) throughout, but the garish emotions of the characters were boring.
(postscript: I originally gave it 1 star. Someone (whom I don't know but who read my review) wrote and urged me to finish the book. He was right: it improved. I changed my review to 2 stars. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
I LOVE THIS BOOK. I LOVE CORDELIA! I can't believe I hadn't read it earlier. Seriously, this is one of those books that I had trouble setting down even for a moment for silly things like sleep and work (eating was fine, I can do that with a book in one hand). ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
Excellent. These two novels (Shards of Honor and Barrayar) addicted me to the Vorkosigan saga. Great plot, great characters and tremendous world building. Highly recommend. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jul 21, 2017 |

To Pat Wrede
for being a voice
in the wilderness
Barrayar: For Anne and Paul
A sea of mist drifted through the cloud forest: soft, grey, luminescent.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,562,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible