HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Shining Girls

by Lauren Beukes

2,2031646,266 (3.54)166
The sole survivor of a time-traveling serial killer who began his murder spree in Depression-era Chicago tries to hunt him down in 1989 along with help from an ex-homicide reporter."A time-traveling serial killer is impossible to trace-- until one of his victims survives. In Depression-era Chicago, Harper Curtis finds a key to a house that opens on to other times. But it comes at a cost. He has to kill the shining girls: bright young women, burning with potential. He stalks them through their lives across different eras until, in 1989, one of his victims, Kirby Mazrachi, survives and starts hunting him back. Working with an ex-homicide reporter who is falling for her, Kirby has to unravel an impossible mystery"--Publisher's web site.… (more)
Recently added byspookymulder, Arina6000, DMM71
    NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (tootstorm)
    tootstorm: Well: Time-traveling serial killers powered by unexplained forces. You'll see the comparison in many reviews. NOS4A2's definitely worth checking out for genre fans. (The audiobook is read by Kate Mulgrew--Captain Janeway!--and comes highly recommended.)
    The Straw Men by Michael Marshall (imyril)
    Watch Me Disappear by Jill Dawson (Anonymous user)

English (162)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (164)
The Shining Girls - Lauren Beukes

It's interesting that this book has a rating of only 3,55 on Goodreads, because usually GR ratings are heavily skewed up (compared to my personal tastest). However, I felt that this was a pretty good serial killer book with a time travel twist. I liked the characters well enough, even though I found Dan's crush on Kirby a little shifty, considering she read pretty much like a teenager (she wasn's) and he read like a middle aged divorcee. Anyway, that wasn't a deal breaker for me and he wasn't too insufferable about it, so I can look past it.

Now, I listened to this on audio, and on several occasions I had to pick up the physical copy to check the timeline (every chapter jumps around over several decades) and I didn't even try to keep the kills straight in my head. Over all I just found the concept very interesting, and thought the author did a pretty good job exploring it.

By no means my favorite book ever, but a solid one nonetheless. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |
This book did not have to be this long. ( )
  Jess_M | Nov 17, 2022 |
I always enjoy Beukes's books, and this one, with its glimpses of Chicago throughout the 20th century, is no exception. The many victims have distinct personalities, and the villain is remorseless and unhinged. There are two wordings I noticed that aren't quite what an American would say (describing honking cars as "hooting" and referring to French "plaiting" instead of braiding), but spotting those kinds of things is a fun scavenger hunt for me. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Oct 24, 2022 |
What a strange book. It was kind of fun to read if you don't take it too seriously. I personally can't take time travel too much, as it really makes things complicated, and this was no exception. But this one didn't get too caught up with things like changing the timeline. But it skipped around in time a lot, maybe too much, which made it confusing at times.

I never understood a lot of what was happening, and why certain girls were targeted. But I stuck with it until the end, so I guess it was OK. ( )
  MartyFried | Oct 9, 2022 |
Could not get interested ( )
  ELockett | Sep 26, 2022 |

Beukes, Laurenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayes, KeithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Llewellyn, RobertCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neleman, HansCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Matthew
He clenches the orange plastic pony in the pocket of his sports coat.

THE GIRL WHO WOULDN'T DIE HUNTS THE KILLER WHO SHOULDN'T EXIST.

"The future is not as loud as war, but it is relentless. It has a terrible fury all its own."

Harper Curtis is a killer who stepped out of the past. Kirby Mizrachi is the girl who was never meant to have a future.

Kirby is the last shining girl, one of the bright young women burning with potential whose lives Harper is destined to snuff out after he stumbles on a House in Depression-era Chicago that opens onto other times.

At the urging of the House, Harper inserts himself into the lives of the shining girls, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. He's the ultimate hunter, vanishing into another time after each murder, untraceable — until one of his victims survives.

Determine to bring her would-be killer to justice, Kirby joins the Chicago Sun Times to work with the ex-homicide reporter Dan Velasquez, who covered her case. Soon Kirby finds herself closing in on the impossible truth...

The Shining Girls is a masterful twist on the serial killer tale — a violent quantum leap featuring a memorable and appealing heroine in pursuit of a deadly criminal.

Back and forth in time
goes a serial killer.
One victim prevails.
(julienne_preacher)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,780,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible