Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead

by Sheryl Sandberg

Other authors: Nell Scovell

In "Lean In", Sheryl Sandberg -- Facebook COO and one of "Fortune" magazine's most powerful women in business -- looks at what women can do to help themselves, and make the small changes in their life that can effect change on a more universal scale. She draws on her own experiences working in some of the world's most successful businesses, as well as academic research, to find practical answers to the problems facing women in the workplace.… (more)

English (94)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (96)
I just want to say to the people complaining that this woman is writing from a place of privilege - Shut Up. No seriously, shut up. She's writing this because she is calling others to join her there, so yeah, she has a nanny, money, and opportunities. That is the entire point. She wants you to join her there, asap. You'll have to excuse her for having the things you don't, and wishing that you would get up there with her already so you could have them if you wanted as well.

Now that I've said that, this is a great book for anyone trying to figure out how to keep their head up in a world where men walk around with true privilege and are absolutely blind to this fact. With that in mind it can be a reading for anyone who is a minority in their field. While I have no desire to be a CEO, I am struggling to find what a/ I want to do in the world and b/ what opportunities are actually open to me. This book inspired me to remember that I am capable of a lot more than what I think. It's relatively short as well which means I can go back to read it when I need a pick me up and it also avoids a lot of the "let me repeat the same thing ad nauseum so you think you bought a bigger book". ( )
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
Such a relevant message. We all have to bring to our consciousness and acknowledge our stereotypes and biases.. "accept and transcend them" as Sandberg puts. Really clearly written, and such a short book too! Time to be active about driving change. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
Our book club selected to read Lean In: women, work and the will to lead by Sheryl Sandberg (CEO of Facebook). It is a book you might consider only intended for women in the corporate world but I am pleasantly surprised and hope I continue to be as I finish reading it. I am only about 20% into the book. I was worried when I began reading it because it seemed she was blaming everyone and everything else for women's inequality and I have always disliked the attitude of blaming others (especially men) for what we think we deserve.

I then was thrilled when the tone of book took a whole different turn and she eloquently began showing how we as women are our own worse enemy and greatest critic - but she makes it not a battle to shift the mindset but she easily guides us to undistort the distortion (her quote).

I think this would be a powerful book for any woman to read whether they are in the corporate world or not. I think this should be required reading for every high school senior (woman of course).

I don't think it is one that every word and paragraph must be read, I have skimmed parts of it already but there are great gems lying in wait for you to discover. ( )
  Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
To the point commentary on why women need to help each other ( )
  avonar | May 27, 2020 |
To be clear, nothing she says is new or revolutionary, and yes, it applies mostly to women of privilege. But I am glad nonetheless that someone in a very prominent and public position is taking this on as their cause, because an important element of equality for women is equality at all levels of society--including the top.

The writing is engaging and often entertaining; her advice is good and relentlessly pragmatic (though I missed the boat on marrying the right person and making them an equal partner in the home ... oops). She comes across as generally aware of how her increased resources make things easier for her, and supportive that not all women will want to climb the ladder. ( )
  andrea_mcd | Mar 10, 2020 |

Sandberg, Sherylprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scovell, Nellsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Donovan, ElisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO MY PARENTS for raising me to believe that anything is possible AND TO MY HUSBAND for making everything possible
I got pregnant with my first child in the summer of 2004.
I wish I were strong enough to ignore what others say, but experience tells me I often can't. Allowing myself to feel upset, even really upset, and then move on - that's something I can do.
One of the things he (Mark) told me was that my desire to be liked by everyone would hold me back. He said that when you want to change things, you can't please everyone. If you do please everyone, you aren't making enough progress. Mark was right.

Œuvrer pour que plus de femmes accèdent au pouvoir , qu'elles bénéficient des mêmes opportunités que les hommes , qu'elles osent s'affirmer et assumer leurs choix : autant de défis qu propose Sheryl Sandberg dans un livre percutant , plein d'énergie et d'humour , à partir de son expérience personnelle .

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,722,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible