Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead…

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead

by Sheryl Sandberg

Other authors: Nell Scovell

English (87)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (89)
Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg is a professional development book that encourages women to take control of their careers. Sandberg acknowledges that women struggle in choosing between work and family and then goes on to explain how and why that struggle is benign. She encourages women to speak up and voice their opinions. Her book is full of anecdotes and her statements are backed up by hard facts. Lean In is not a book about feminism and how men are oppressive, but rather a book about how both genders have the ability to change the current reality we live in. ( )
  saudia89 | Feb 26, 2019 |
Sheryl Sandberg has received more than her share of publicity as being Facebook’s chief operations officer. With her new book out, Lean In, it’s becoming more difficult to not hear her name on a regular basis. She has made her mark in the technology world. She hit the book world with both feet running. The book also produced something else, an organization, Leanin.org which Sheryl encourages everyone to visit at the end of the book.

The book starts off with Sheryl stating that her grandmother went to UC Berkley, her mother went to college, and Sheryl herself went to Harvard as well as Cambridge. This sent a message of “if you don’t come from a well-educated and financially stable family, you will not be as successful as I am”. Even though she puts it sweetly, it’s kind of a kick to the face. Sheryl Sandberg is what Peggy McIntosh would call “White Privilege”.

The only thing lacking in this book is cultural diversity, or any diversity other than males and females. The American office corporation is mostly populated with white Americans. This is addressed once in the book when an African American business man spoke with Sheryl after she’s been quiet at a business meeting and told her to start speaking up as the only female in the meetings, just like he had to speak up as the only African American in the meetings. Along with needing more women in the workplace, we also need more diversity – more people of different backgrounds.

Before I started reading, I thought the audience for this book were middle to late 20’s who either had an entry level position or for women who have been in the office for a few years. I was wrong. Even though the book offers insight and advice that everyone can use, the book is mainly for older women who are higher in the office work chain that, usually, already have a family and are being passed up for promotions.

The overall theme of the book can be summed up as women’s lack of speaking up in the workplace. This generally covers everything from isolating yourself in meetings to not speaking up during meetings because you are surrounded by people who are higher in rank and of the opposite gender. Women also make sacrifices to their careers by having families and making time for their families. This makes receiving promotions more difficult for women, according to the author. While women need to lean in more at meetings, men need to lean in more at home and help around the house. Sheryl is talking about gender equality.

There are many issues addressed in the book. Sheryl covers feminism, gender equality, business, family, career, leadership, and research. This book was put together beautifully. It flowed and had more than enough research to back up her opinions. She points out, however, that this book is not a self-help, directions on how to be successful, or a mentorship book. This is Sheryl’s manifesto. This is her life, her experiences and journey. With hard work, dedication, a few lucky moments, and some connections, she got where she is today. This book may be Generation Y’s The Feminine Mystique. No one has not tried to start a movement of this scale since, not until Sheryl Sandberg.

The reason Sheryl starts out the book with her grandmother is not only did her grandmother go to college in the 1940’s, but to also illustrate that not much has changed for women since then. The things that have changed are due to women standing up for themselves and letting their voices be heard. We have more choices in life. We get more options for picking our careers, but we still get paid less than men. Men are still preferred for most high paying jobs or jobs with power such as lawyers, doctors, and government officials. This will not stop until we all make the conscious decision to treat everyone equally and end gender stereotyping.

Overall, it was an insightful book filled with research and experiences – good and bad. It’ll be a good reference book one day for the future generations to look back to for life in the early 21st Century. ( )
  ashleydavida | Dec 21, 2018 |
This book inspired me to think of my career in a different way. I agree strongly with her point in the last chapter - women should be helping women. We're in this together even if we make different decisions about whether to work in or outside of the home. Worth the read. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
For decades, we have focused on giving women the choice to work inside or outside the home. We have celebrated the fact that women have the right to make this decision, and rightly so. But we have to ask ourselves if we have become so focused on supporting personal choices that we're failing to encourage women to aspire to leadership. It is time to cheer on girls and women who want to sit at the table, seek challenges, and lean in to their careers.

I am so glad that I finally read this book. I was reminded of its existence after listening to a recent episode of NYT's The Daily podcast, where, during an interview, a female (conservative) political thinker, a former Reagan speechwriter, mentioned Sandberg's book and called that we should support women who want to "lean out," which made me very sad. You would think that a woman with a successful career who was discussing her recent experience at a political conference would be encouraging young women to lead. As Sandberg reiterates in her book, we have enough support for women who want to "lean out," which comes from societal pressure, other women, and internal conflict.

Lean In is spectacular. I want to give a copy to every woman in my life. Sandburg acknowledges that women have to overcome many hurdles to succeed in the workplace, and provides excellent insight and advice on how to navigate life in the workforce while managing a home life. Her advice on negotiating particularly stuck with me.

The negative feedback on this book baffles me. Sheryl Sandburg is honest and truly inspiring. I would recommend this book to everyone in my life. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I found this one useful to read as a woman in the workforce, especially working in tech/Silicon Valley. I don't agree with everything in it, but it's a lot more measured and helpful than I thought it would be after I read all the think pieces about it when it came out. ( )
  jrogoff | Sep 22, 2018 |

Sandberg, SherylAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scovell, Nellsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Donovan, ElisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO MY PARENTS for raising me to believe that anything is possible AND TO MY HUSBAND for making everything possible
I got pregnant with my first child in the summer of 2004.
I wish I were strong enough to ignore what others say, but experience tells me I often can't. Allowing myself to feel upset, even really upset, and then move on - that's something I can do.
One of the things he (Mark) told me was that my desire to be liked by everyone would hold me back. He said that when you want to change things, you can't please everyone. If you do please everyone, you aren't making enough progress. Mark was right.

Œuvrer pour que plus de femmes accèdent au pouvoir , qu'elles bénéficient des mêmes opportunités que les hommes , qu'elles osent s'affirmer et assumer leurs choix : autant de défis qu propose Sheryl Sandberg dans un livre percutant , plein d'énergie et d'humour , à partir de son expérience personnelle .

Thirty years after women became 50 percent of the college graduates in the United States, men still hold the vast majority of leadership positions in government and industry. This means that women’s voices are still not heard equally in the decisions that most affect our lives. In Lean In, Sheryl Sandberg examines why women’s progress in achieving leadership roles has stalled, explains the root causes, and offers compelling, commonsense solutions that can empower women to achieve their full potential.

Sandberg is the chief operating officer of Facebook and is ranked on Fortune’s list of the 50 Most Powerful Women in Business and as one of Time’s 100 Most Influential People in the World. In 2010, she gave an electrifying TEDTalk in which she described how women unintentionally hold themselves back in their careers. Her talk, which became a phenomenon and has been viewed more than two million times, encouraged women to “sit at the table,” seek challenges, take risks, and pursue their goals with gusto.

In Lean In, Sandberg digs deeper into these issues, combining personal anecdotes, hard data, and compelling research to cut through the layers of ambiguity and bias surrounding the lives and choices of working women. She recounts her own decisions, mistakes, and daily struggles to make the right choices for herself, her career, and her family. She provides practical advice on negotiation techniques, mentorship, and building a satisfying career, urging women to set boundaries and to abandon the myth of “having it all.”  She describes specific steps women can take to combine professional achievement with personal fulfillment and demonstrates how men can benefit by supporting women in the workplace and at home.

Written with both humor and wisdom, Sandberg’s book is an inspiring call to action and a blueprint for individual growth. Lean In is destined to change the conversation from what women can’t do to what they can.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook COO and one of "Fortune" magazine's most powerful women in business looks at what women can do to help themselves, and make the small changes in their life that can effect change on a more universal scale. She draws on her own experiences working in some of the world's most successful businesses, as well as academic research, to find practical answers to the problems facing women in the workplace.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,132,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible