Becoming by Michelle Obama

Becoming

by Michelle Obama

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama (TheLittlePhrase)
    A White House diary by Lady Bird Johnson (Elizabeth.Macyshyn)
    Elizabeth.Macyshyn: First Lady autobiographies are fascinating, after enjoying Becoming, try the one that started the trend.

English (71)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (74)
Here is how I break-down this book:

20% Me thinking, "Damn, she is a SUCH an Amazing Person. Squee!"
40% Advert for How Amaze-balls she thinks Her Husband is
20% Let me explain shit I did that ya'll criticized.
20% Politics sucks donkey butt.

Read it. Even if you didn't like her or her husband, read it, so you better understand how shit works in US politics. ( )
  empress8411 | Mar 21, 2019 |
Well, heck!! How am I supposed to go out writing a review for a masterpiece like ‘Becoming.’ I truly feel that I cannot do the book justice.

To put it simply, I loved this book!!

As a storyteller, Michelle was perfect; her warmth, intelligence, and straightforward manner of speaking all carried through as she described her childhood experiences all the way to her two terms as Flotus. I couldn’t help but feel an immense sense of admiration as she detailed some of her struggles.

Furthermore, as a listener, it was fascinating hearing the stories that helped Michelle become who she is today. I will admit that being the nosey person that I am, I particularly enjoyed her behind-the-scenes account of living in the White House. However, it was all amazing.

Overall, I find it difficult to write a more detailed review simply because I loved everything about this book. I laughed in parts, got teary-eyed in others, but mostly, I got a feeling of hopeful energy from this book. I doubt that there is one person that wouldn't benefit from reading 'Becoming' regardless of political affiliations as, despite being involved, this biography isn't explicitly about politics.

I give this book full marks and would not hesitate to recommend this book, especially for those of us who could use a little hope in these grim times. ( )
  Melzyrose90 | Mar 17, 2019 |
This is a very personal book: Michelle Obama talks about her own life and principles, her own choices, as they take her from a poor, but loving Chicago South Side home to Princeton, through a glitzy law firm, community organizing, to the White House. There is very little politics: even as she campaigns and works as First Lady, Michelle focuses on her children, her family, and working for children, military familes, people with disadvantages.

I loved hearing her voice, her genuine love and concern for people; her optimism and belief in people. She is a principled, dignified, gracious, yet down-to-earth and enpathetic woman, and the world is better for her being in it. It is so refreshing to her someone so honest, real, and connected to people.

There are lots of lessons in this book, but also interesting insights into living in the White House - like going outside into the garden is a major production; that the First Lady always warrants a motorcade, which puts a dampener on being close to anyone. Raising kids that require a security detail is challenging; Michelle was constantly trying to find a way for her daughters to grow up as close to normal as possible.

She also talks of her projects as First Lady: planting a White House vegetable garden, promoting healthy nutrition for children, supporting military families, and girl’s education world-wide. Michelle does not like politics, but she loves to do good for people and communities, and used her status as First Lady to help people, especially children, in need.

She talks of the significance of being the first black family in the White House, which is more than just politics: it is a symbol, a symbol of being able to achieve anything, no matter where you come from, or what color is your skin. At the same time, having a black president does not mean the end of the question of race. We are all very aware of it - Obama’s presidency also brought a backlash, but hopefully, this will be temporary. We have a long way to go.

It was lovely to listen to her read her book. This is a wonderful reminder of dignity, empathy and grace in the White House, and everywhere else. However, it is about twice as long as it needed to be... I was going to deduct a star for that, but then I decided, she is lovely and we need more of her in our life. ( )
1 vote Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
How can one not be inspired? She's awesome! ( )
  KellyFordon | Mar 6, 2019 |
Worth reading, Michele Obama's early life is not nearly as interesting as the woman herself, and the known results do hinder any suspense. The current moment pretty much requires a certain blandness, whether or not there is anything beyond what is said. The isolation of University of Chicago and the idea that Princeton was more accessible was interesting as was Michelle Obama's work there. ( )
  quondame | Mar 5, 2019 |

Michelle Obamaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Svensson, ManneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the people who have helped me become:

the folks who raised me---Fraser, Marian, Craig,
and my vast extended family,

my circle of strong women, who always lift me up,

my loyal and dedicated staff, who continue to make me proud.
To the loves of my life:

Malia and Sasha, my two most precious peas,
who are my reason for being,

and finally, Barack, who always promised me an interesting journey.
When I was a kid, my aspirations were simple.
Grief and resilience live together.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible