Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and…

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance

by Barack Obama

The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream by Barack Obama (foof2you)
    foof2you: This is Obama's life story and how became the man he is today.
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: While these works may be in regard to entirely different cultures and nations, and one of fiction while the other is nonfiction, both are literary coming-of-age tales that are not only beautiful written, but relevant to today's issues and diversity, and memorable for their tales and messages.… (more)
    Renegade: The Making of a President by Richard Wolffe (Furu)
    Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela (maitebauwens)

English (168)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All (177)
African Americans > Biography|Obama, Barack|Racially mixed people > United States > Biography|Racism > United States|Racism > United states|United States > Race relations|United states > Race relations
  FHQuakers | Oct 13, 2017 |
I wanted to read this after hearing Barack speak at the Democratic Convention this year. He is the "up and coming" politician. It was a sweet memoir of this life. He takes a hard look at his black, African father who he has known very little while growing up. Barack talks about how he has an internal struggle being both black and white. ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 24, 2017 |
Interesting but a little depressing at times. He's very honest and the thought that he might get to be US President had obviously never entered his head. There is too much detail at some points but it is meant to be a memoir and not a novel. ( )
  infjsarah | Aug 26, 2017 |
This was a great read! A masterfully written search for purpose told with elegance and brilliance. I have come to this book only now so I am viewing his story in hindsight, which makes his extraordinary journey even more impressive. President Obama’s story stretches beyond the American dream and speaks to international aspirations. I highly recommend it. ( )
  BBPScribe | Aug 9, 2017 |
Written before he entered the political sphere, in Dreams from My Father Barack Obama explores his personal history as a child and young man of mixed race growing up in Hawaii and Indonesia. He goes on to detail his simultaneously discouraging and rewarding experiences working as a community organizer in Chicago's underprivileged south side. Finally, he documents his poignant first visit to his father's ancestral homelands in Kenya, making the acquaintance for the first time with the extended family who had existed to him previously only as an anonymous collection of half-siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.

While I didn't find this memoir as riveting as I'd hoped -- and, to be fair, I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting -- I was grateful for, appreciative of and occasionally surprised by this insight into Obama's earlier life. Additionally, in a time when so many memoirs are co-written, and when others of our political leaders seem unable to formulate a single grammatically correct sentence, I found myself continuously impressed by his natural writing ability. ( )
  ryner | Aug 7, 2017 |
All men live in the shadow of their fathers -- the more distant the father, the deeper the shadow. Barack Obama describes his confrontation with this shadow in his provocative autobiography, "Dreams From My Father," and he also persuasively describes the phenomenon of belonging to two different worlds, and thus belonging to neither.

Barack Obamaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zwart, JoostTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"For we are strangers before them, and sojourners, as were all our fathers. I Chronicles 29:15.
A few months after my twenty-first birthday, a stranger called to give me the news.
They are NOT my people.

(No quotation marks.)

Pg. 47

Nine years before the Senate campaign that made him one of the most influential and compelling voices in American politics, Barack Obama published this lyrical, unsentimental, and powerfully affecting memoir, which became a #1 New York Times bestseller when it was reissued in 2004. Dreams from My Father tells the story of Obama’s struggle to understand the forces that shaped him as the son of a black African father and white American mother—a struggle that takes him from the American heartland to the ancestral home of his great-aunt in the tiny African village of Alego.

Obama opens his story in New York, where he hears that his father—a figure he knows more as a myth than as a man—has died in a car accident. The news triggers a chain of memories as Barack retraces his family’s unusual history: the migration of his mother’s family from small-town Kansas to the Hawaiian islands; the love that develops between his mother and a promising young Kenyan student, a love nurtured by youthful innocence and the integrationist spirit of the early sixties; his father’s departure from Hawaii when Barack was two, as the realities of race and power reassert themselves; and Barack’s own awakening to the fears and doubts that exist not just between the larger black and white worlds but within himself.

Propelled by a desire to understand both the forces that shaped him and his father’s legacy, Barack moves to Chicago to work as a community organizer. There, against the backdrop of tumultuous political and racial conflict, he works to turn back the mounting despair of the inner city. His story becomes one with those of the people he works with as he learns about the value of community, the necessity of healing old wounds, and the possibility of faith in the midst of adversity.

Barack’s journey comes full circle in Kenya, where he finally meets the African side of his family and confronts the bitter truth of his father’s life. Traveling through a country racked by brutal poverty and tribal conflict, but whose people are sustained by a spirit of endurance and hope, Barack discovers that he is inescapably bound to brothers and sisters living an ocean away—and that by embracing their common struggles he can finally reconcile his divided inheritance.

A searching meditation on the meaning of identity in America, Dreams from My Father might be the most revealing portrait we have of a major American leader—a man who is playing, and will play, an increasingly prominent role in healing a fractious and fragmented nation.

Pictured in lefthand photograph on cover: Habiba Akumu Hussein and Barack Obama, Sr. (President Obama's paternal grandmother and his father as a young boy). Pictured in righthand photograph on cover: Stanley Dunham and Ann Dunham (President Obama's maternal grandfather and his mother as a young girl).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

The son of an African father and white American mother discusses his childhood in Hawaii, his struggle to find his identity as an African American, and his life accomplishments.

Canongate Books

4 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847670911, 1847670946, 1847674380, 1847673287

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921351438, 1921520620, 1921520515

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,527,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible