Obama: An Intimate Portrait by Pete Souza

Obama: An Intimate Portrait

by Pete Souza

2021682,888 (4.75)6

I received this book for Christmas. After opening it, I spent the next few hours looking at each photograph and reading all of the commentary. I had to stop several times to wipe the tears from my eyes. I miss him so much, but I am glad to have this visual record to remind me what a presidency is supposed to be. Pete Souza is an amazing photographer. ( )
  slsmith101 | Jul 30, 2018 |
An excellent collection of photographs put together to tell the story of the Obama Administration. While I would never go so far as to say I agreed with everything he's done or the decisions that he made, he made such decisions with respect to the job he had.

Souza portrays moments in the presidential life, but also moments that remind us that he is still, regardless of title, a human being, and a father. Souza shows intimacy between Barack and Michelle, and love between the whole family. Showcased also was his respect for former POTUS' and their families, but also his respect for people--the ones he worked with, yes, but also the everyday people he interacted with.

Noted, here and there, are poignant photos with longer captions and explanations--of what the moment meant, of what it meant for the people, and any story behind it. There are more than you think.

I highly recommend you at least borrow this book from your local library, if not buy a copy outright. ( )
  m_mozeleski | May 13, 2018 |
A gorgeous collection of photos from all aspects of the Obama presidency. Several of the photos are so iconic that they were immediately familiar, but even the new pictures had that same combination of drama and intimacy. (Apparently the photographer took nearly to million pictures!)

There's not too much text to comment on. The photographer wrote about the kind of intimate access he had to the president (his family, his day to day work, and the most pivotal events of his presidency), as did Obama in his forward.

Maybe it's the norm for photo books like this, but I did like how much white space there was -- sometimes entire blank pages. ( )
  Andibook | Apr 19, 2018 |
This oversized book chronicling Obama’s eight years in office is full of wonderful pictures, and offers a rather unexpected trip down memory lane. That is, while reading, we were filled with wonder: “Wow, remember the days when we didn’t know ANY of the names of the President’s staff?” And “Wow, remember the days when we could go about our lives not scared about the future?” And “Wow, remember when former presidents were invited to the White House?” And so on. The photos are exceptional, both informative and revealing, each one having a small caption to provide background information. I especially loved all the pics of Obama and kids and Obama and pets. Better times, for sure! ( )
  nbmars | Apr 10, 2018 |
An exceptional book. I loved reading the stories behind the photos and to get Obama's take on being shadowed by a photographer. The pictures are wonderful! Some funny, some sweet, some heartbreaking. All with a great eye and they really capture the mood of the moment. This will be a treasure in anyone's library. ( )
  njcur | Apr 3, 2018 |

"Obama: An Intimate Portrait reproduces more than 300 of Souza's most iconic photographs with fine-art print quality in an oversize collectible format. Together they document the most consequential hours of the Presidency--including the historic image of President Obama and his advisors in the Situation Room during the bin Laden mission--alongside unguarded moments with the President's family, his encounters with children, interactions with world leaders and cultural figures, and more."--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,949,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible