Obama: An Intimate Portrait by Pete Souza

Obama: An Intimate Portrait (2017)

by Pete Souza

I loved it, of course. ( )
  anitatally | Feb 28, 2019 |
A very entertaining look at the presidency and the president. A coffee table picture book but the text is enlightening too. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Pete Souza was the official White House photographer during Barack Obama's 8 years in the White House. This book is such a loving retrospective of what integrity looks like, and not only in comparison to the current circus that lives there now.

I think my favourite photo was one that probably everyone has seen by now, one Souza titled *Hair Like Mine*, where Obama is bending down so that the child of one of the employees of the White House can touch his (Obama's) head, as his answer to the child's question of whether his hair felt the same as his own. Another hilarious photo was one Souza took during the Easter Egg Hunt at the White House, a pic of Obama and the Easter Bunny, shot from the back. Obama, upon seeing the pic, asked for copies to give to his daughters, saying that these were the 2 most famous sets of ears in Washington.

There were two other poignant quotes that I took from this book. One was from Souza, in his explanation of the debt ceiling crisis, titled *On the Brink of Default*. He said: "...by July (2011) Congressional Republicans were using the debt ceiling as a form of blatant political blackmail. The next few weeks were dominated by this issue as the president met constantly to try to reason with leaders in Congress and with his economic team to prepare for the worst-case scenario of default. This is what governing looks like". (bold letters are mine)

The last quote was one that was penned by parents from Newtown after the horrific terrorist attack there: "Newtown is thankful that you are coming to help us heal. In times of adversity it is reassuring to know that we have a strong leader to help us recover."

Maybe because I am also listening to Michelle Obama read me her book on audio, at this same time (I'm a little over half way through it), but this family just packs such a powerful punch, when it comes to integrity and being role models. Will the world ever see the likes of them again? Hard to imagine…. ( )
  jessibud2 | Jan 31, 2019 |
Beautiful book and insight into the 8 years of the Obama presidency. The photographs detail the humility and the compassion of President Obama. The photographs are well done, and truly depict an historic presidency. They show President Obama's playful side, his thoughtful side, his caring side, and his role as husband and father. I loved it! ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Many of these pictures were familiar, but it was lovely to see the full collection and read Souza's brief comments here and there. ( )
  byroade | Nov 28, 2018 |

"Obama: An Intimate Portrait reproduces more than 300 of Souza's most iconic photographs with fine-art print quality in an oversize collectible format. Together they document the most consequential hours of the Presidency--including the historic image of President Obama and his advisors in the Situation Room during the bin Laden mission--alongside unguarded moments with the President's family, his encounters with children, interactions with world leaders and cultural figures, and more."--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,084,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible