dismiss

The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream

by Barack Obama

The junior senator from Illinois discusses how to transform U.S. politics, calling for a return to America's original ideals and revealing how they can address such issues as globalization and the function of religion in public life.

English (157)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Arabic (1)  German (1)  All languages (165)
I read this book at three different segments of time. The first few chapters when it came out. The middle part during the 2016 election cycle and final the last four chapters after reading “A Promised Land.” The book hit me personally on many levels as I am only a few months younger then President Obama. I went to college in Illinois and lived in Chicago for several years and he chronicled these years and events so I found myself crossing paths with him so to speak. I found the book to have the same optimism as his campaigns and I liked how open he was about how the tole of politics took on his family. In a way reading this over time was a rather nice reflection of the past 15 years come full circle. Our democracy is in fragile condition but I hope this book can guide younger readers understand his desire for wanting to make the US a “more perfect Union.” ( )
  John_Hughel | Aug 30, 2022 |
I finally read this book. Figured this was a good time to read it now that he is officially running fr president. Wow, I really like this man. He is so down to earth and humble. I like his ideas, hopes, and dreams for this country.
  KyleneJones | Apr 25, 2022 |
good book

pretty idealistic (but that was kinda the point I think)

Made me want to be a school teacher (who knows I just might)
  royragsdale | Sep 22, 2021 |
While admittedly not as good as his first book, Dreams From My Father, and certainly less personal, The Audacity of Hope is still an interesting read following Obama in the run to what would be his election and eventual 2-term presidency in 2008. Instead of focusing on his life, it mainly centers around his political opinions without giving many straight-forward answers, preferring to take more of an "it's complicated" approach to a lot of issues, and it's interesting to look back on his presidency and compare it to his writings here. I would recommend Dreams From My Father and his wife Michelle Obama's book, Becoming, for more intimate and relatable stories about the people rather than the politicians. By this point, a book about the politics feels quite dated. ( )
  TMLbuds34 | Aug 13, 2021 |
It's now 2021 and I'm finally getting around to this before I tackle his latest book. There are some "timing" things that jump out. Osama bin Laden is referred to in the present tense, Obamacare is not mentioned and Reverend Wright is his pastor. My guess is they make major appearances in the next book, or for both men, should I say disappearances. This is actually Senator Obama as presidential want-a-be, of course he never even mentions that possibility. There's one overriding message - we know we can do better. It's a simple proposition that Obama bases his pitch on. Corny but compelling. I wanted more. The goals are clearly laid out, the hope is there but the policies to get us there are more like we can work this out if we just talk to one another empathetically. Details to be filled in later. I felt he was signing to the choir. Inspiring but not informative.

We get some more detail about life with Michelle, Malia and Sasha. But nothing about law school or any of the time he spent as a practicing attorney. Yes he was President of Harvard Law Review but we never learn what happened, what he learned, etc. He's clearly a thoughtful and learned person. We hear about how his family taught him different things, but what did Harvard and Columbia do to form him, nothing? We do learn a bit more about his mother in this book - her absence in the first book was noteworthy. One guesses this was a reflection of her not spending as much time with him as he would have liked.

On to "A Promised Land." ( )
1 vote Ed_Schneider | Apr 10, 2021 |
Barack Obama, the junior senator from Illinois and the Democratic Party’s new rock star, is that rare politician who can actually write — and write movingly and genuinely about himself.

Obama, BarackAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dierlamm, HelmutTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorado, ErwinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Engstrom, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schäfer, UrselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schäfer, UrselÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the women who raised me - my maternal grandmother, Tutu, who's been a rock of stability throughout my life, and my mother, whose loving spirit sustains me still.
On most days, I enter the Capitol through the basement.
It's been almost ten years since I first ran for political office.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,972,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible