The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream

by Barack Obama

Senator Obama calls for a different brand of politics--a politics for those weary of bitter partisanship and alienated by the "endless clash of armies" we see in Congress and on the campaign trail; a politics rooted in the faith, inclusiveness, and nobility of spirit at the heart of our democracy. He explores those forces--from the fear of losing, to the perpetual need to raise money, to the power of the media--that can stifle even the best-intentioned politician. He examines the growing economic insecurity of American families, the racial and religious tensions within the body politic, and the transnational threats--from terrorism to pandemic--that gather beyond our shores. And he grapples with the role that faith plays in a democracy. Only by returning to the principles that gave birth to our Constitution, he says, can Americans repair a broken political process, and restore to working order a government dangerously out of touch with millions of ordinary Americans.--From publisher description.… (more)
Recently added byStrayerUni, fsuthy, jrigney, JLaBee, soulstrong, JeffYour, private library, ddahlkemper, davhar19

English (159)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Arabic (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (167)
My local library had this book as an ipod download (along with ipods to check out!) so I enjoyed listening to Barack narrate the book himself. He shares stories from his family, faith journey and early career. His balanced insights and thoughtful ideas for addressing the ills of our society made me a believer. He's got my vote. ( )
  rebwaring | Aug 14, 2023 |
An inspiring book, full of great ideas and lucid explanations. I learned a lot about Obama's view of how our government works, and a lot about the government in general. My favorite theme was his emphasis on the value of amicable conflict in coming to compromise which works and serves us, rather than serves an ideology. He talks about how the whole "check and balances" thing we are taught in school is not just to prevent tyranny, but to engender discussion. We're forced to spend a great deal of time talking over what our government is going to do, and so we are forced to understand each other a little bit more.

I still liked his first book more. ( )
  grahzny | Jul 17, 2023 |
excellent
highly readable
written while a Senator ( )
  pollycallahan | Jul 1, 2023 |
Obama wrote this with an eye on the 2008 presidential race, so one should not expect art or even uncomfortable honesty from this book. Obama is consciously self-deprecating, takes positions that only unrepentant right-wingers would oppose, but I think his heart is in the right place. The most common criticism of Obama is that he is inexperienced - but with that inexperience comes an optimism and refreshing rough edges, a tendency to make political mistakes (which Oprah's endorsement may well turn out to be), but a willingness to take risks that the other main contenders don't have. He doesn't get into the details of policy - suffice to say, he wants universal health care, is pro gay and women's rights, but has a healthy respect for fiscal conservatism and Reagan's foreign policy successes. Here's a quote by Frank Rich in today's NYT about Obama's candidacy-

"For those Americans looking for the most unambiguous way to repudiate politicians who are trying to divide the country by faith, ethnicity, sexuality and race, Mr. Obama is nothing if not the most direct shot. After hearing someone like Mitt Romney preach his narrow, exclusionist idea of “Faith in America,” some Americans may simply see a vote for Mr. Obama as a vote for faith in America itself." ( )
  jonbrammer | Jul 1, 2023 |
A little bit history, a little bit politics and a little bit personal reflection. This is a very well written and thoughtful book, without being dense or hard to follow. No matter what your politics may be, you could find something of value in this book. Written when he was still a Senator, it would be interesting to see how far his positions have changed since this was written. ( )
  Karlstar | Mar 27, 2023 |
Barack Obama, the junior senator from Illinois and the Democratic Party’s new rock star, is that rare politician who can actually write — and write movingly and genuinely about himself.

Obama, BarackAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bais, AmyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dierlamm, HelmutTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorado, ErwinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Engstrom, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schäfer, UrselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schäfer, UrselÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the women who raised me - my maternal grandmother, Tutu, who's been a rock of stability throughout my life, and my mother, whose loving spirit sustains me still.
On most days, I enter the Capitol through the basement.
It's been almost ten years since I first ran for political office.

Current Discussions

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 197,768,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible