The Kite Runner (2003)

by Khaled Hosseini

46,112119119 (4.2)1 / 900
Traces the unlikely friendship of a wealthy Afghan youth and a servant's son in a tale that spans the final days of Afghanistan's monarchy through the atrocities of the present day.
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M. G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    American Taliban by Pearl Abraham (SheReads)
    SheReads: Very different, but the cultural relevancy of both books has similar characteristics.

Asia (16)

English (1,063)  Dutch (40)  Spanish (23)  Danish (12)  German (10)  French (8)  Swedish (6)  Italian (6)  Norwegian (4)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Croatian (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Indonesian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,188)
Events from my own life made this a book I could not finish. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Although this book is sad it tells an interesting story. Amir is a young boy and recalls and event that happened over 20 years ago in Afghanistan. It starts off with him, his father Baba and two servants Ali and his son Hassan, who are Hazaras. It goes through his life and the event that he saw. Amir and his father move to California and he goes to school. Yesrs past by and he has to return home and faces several challenges when he returns home. ( )
  andreawilliams12 | Mar 25, 2021 |
I'm teetering between 4 stars and 5 for this book. It was a horribly emotional story... of course any story about a young boy facing adversity in his own country which is falling apart would probably be emotional. The language was beautiful and the descriptions were just enough, but I think what I struggled with most were Afghan words that were used that had no explanation for them. At times it was also hard to feel like you were part of the story because there were so many crazy things that were happening to the main character that only those who had experienced a collapsing economy, country, and way of life would truly know how horrific it could be. I would highly recommend this book to anyone for it's beautiful messages of forgiveness, second chances, and freedom. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
I actually want to give The Kite Runner 3.5 stars but that's not an option. Any book that moves me to tears has a head start and there were many tears here. I was enthralled with the early part of the book and and how the idyll of childhood is so easily shattered but also the struggles of a young boy to earn the love and approval of his hero-like father. That he was unable to live up to expectations had calamitous consequences. However as things move on, characters grow and mature and die there are plot devices that I found cliched. It was obvious the evil boy of Amir's childhood would reappear and he did just where I guessed he would. At least we are left with a not quite fairy tale ending but a reflection that redemption and trauma and tragedy are not quick fixes but take time and patience. As a first novel this is pretty good but do read A Thousand Splendid Suns. It is a much better book. ( )
  Patsmith139 | Mar 15, 2021 |
An excellent book, from one of my all-time favorite authors. Glad I finally read it and I hope the author Khaled Hosseini has a new book coming out soon! If there were1/2 star increments available, this would be a strong 4-1/2 star book! ( )
  ChetBowers | Mar 10, 2021 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Hosseini, Khaledprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
"For you, a thousand times over."
"I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great."
"But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie".

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,951,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible