Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Kite Runner (2003)

by Khaled Hosseini

Other authors: Mirka Andolfo (Illustrator), Fabio Celoni (Illustrator)

42,956114018 (4.21)1 / 852
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M. G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    American Taliban: A Novel by Pearl Abraham (SheReads)
    SheReads: Very different, but the cultural relevancy of both books has similar characteristics.

Asia (5)

English (1,020)  Dutch (37)  Spanish (21)  Danish (12)  German (9)  Swedish (6)  French (6)  Italian (6)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Bulgarian (1)  Croatian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (1,134)
Amir grew up privileged in northern Kabul, before it would be savaged by war, Russian occupation, and finally the Taliban. His father was wealthy, but more than that he was respected. The best friend he would ever know, Hassan, was the son of their servant and devoted to Amir in a way that few people will ever experience. He didn't know how lucky he was.

Years later, the secrets Amir harbored, secrets that had haunted him since his last kite tournament, the last time he had seen Hassan smile, demanded reparation. So he returned to Kabul to atone for his sins, seeking both punishment and forgiveness.

Breathtaking. It is the only word I can think of to describe this novel. No words I use to describe this story could do it justice. It is a timeless tale of love, sorrow, and redemption. This is a book that will stay with me for a very long time. ( )
  Jawin | Aug 18, 2018 |
A fascinating story of the life of a boy in Kabul and his trials and tribulations. I am glad I listened to this one. Read by the author and I did not have to try and pronounce all the names! ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
An Afghan lives with the guilt of the horrible things he did as a child.

2/4 (Indifferent).

It reads quickly. I never really wanted to pick it up, but when I did, quite a bit of it would fly by in one go. Hosseini goes to extremes to make his protagonist as unsympathetic as possible, and I understand why - it's important to the story that the reader doesn't forgive him too easily. But I get very little out of reading a story about a character I can't sympathize with. ( )
  comfypants | Aug 13, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Apr 2009):
- Exceptional first novel. What hasn't been said? What I liked most of the book is the simple story of friendship between Amir and Hassan, a childhood that is battered from all sides by war and cruelty. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Jul 22, 2018 |
My sophomores and I read this--mostly in class. It doesn't require teaching, so we could have discussions about it with little scaffolding. It appeared in every final exam essay on novel as bildungsroman.
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Khaled Hosseiniprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
"For you, a thousand times over."
"I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great."
"But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie".

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747566534, Paperback)

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:04 -0400)

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present. The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption, and it is also about the power of fathers over sons-their love, their sacrifices, their lies.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,136,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible