The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner (2003)

by Khaled Hosseini

Other authors: Mirka Andolfo (Illustrator), Fabio Celoni (Illustrator)

38,542103216 (4.21)1 / 692
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    Par les monts et les plaines d'Asie centrale by Anne Nivat (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievitch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievitch (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)

English (915)  Dutch (38)  Spanish (19)  Danish (12)  German (9)  Italian (6)  Swedish (6)  French (6)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Indonesian (1)  Croatian (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (1,027)
The Kite Runner was one book that came highly recommended. Every other fellow bibliophile kept asking me if I had read the book . I decided it was high time I read the book that was making waves.
When I finished reading the book, I simply wondered how I had missed reading such a good book. One thing that surprised me more was that, it was written by a first timer
The story is about the relationship between two Afghani boys, Hassan & Amir (Who turn out to be half brothers in the end of the story!) narrated by Amir. Hassan is initially portrayed simply as Amir's father's servant's son.But as the story moves on, the truth unfolds.Hassan has this uncanny ability to predict where exactly a downed kite will fall. Amir & Hassan participate in the annual Kite Fighting event in their province. Amir wins the fight and Hassan becomes Amir's “Kite Runner” to fetch the runner-up's downed kite.
On the way to fetch the downed kite, Hassan is cornered by the Haraza hating bully kids and they do something unspeakable and unforgivable. Amir witnesses this but he doesn't prevent it from happening. Not because there was nothing he could do, he just doesn't have the backbone to fight. Not even for his best friend.
After the incident, everything changes. Virtually everything. The relationship between Amir & Hassan, Kabul is bombed by Russians, Amir escapes to America with his father becomes a writer and gets married too.
Now comes the most important part of the story. That part which made me feel sad for an entire day after reading the book. That part which I really don't want to write about for it will be the ultimate spoiler.
For a new comer, Hosseini has done exceptionally well. The book is filled with heavy emotions and is one for some one who cries at the drop of the hat. The description of Afghanistan is beautiful and is an eye opener for people (like me) who have a wrong idea about the country.
Its that kind of a book one must really read in a life time. ( )
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
Its that kind of a book one must really read in a life time. ( )
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
Hmmm...where to begin. I'm not sure I've had as intense an experience reading a book as I did with this one (except reading Breaking Dawn, which caused physical illness). I have learned about myself that I have become too sensitive and need disclaimers on my books. I'm going to have to start reading the back covers, providing a checklist to my friends to fill out before I enter the book: Does it contain graphic images of child molestation or any forms of sexual abuse? Does it have a protagonist that you want to choke? Does every lovable character suffer tremendously while the ones who SHOULD suffer are just fine? Will this novel leave me nauseous, angry, and shattered? If so, please tell me. I'm no longer interested.

This novel left me feeling bereft and spent. I went through surges of intense emotion throughout, which I usually crave in a reading experience, except that all of my emotions were negative. Usually, if my eyes sting and swell when I'm reading, or I'm curled in a ball sobbing on the couch, that's a GOOD thing--my sadness is somewhat welcome and pleasant (hard to describe), like when you know that what's happening was an inevitable, natural part of life and it sure does suck. I didn't cry reading this novel. I just erupted in anger, bitterness, depression, rejection, and the feeling that Hosseini hated Amir as much as I do so what is the point of continuing on? I almost quit repeatedly, and only made it through because I felt it was the right thing to do. The ending could have been redeeming, but I feel that Hosseini made a terrible mistake toward the end (with the broken promise) and just caused the lovable characters unnecessary extra suffering for no apparent purpose. So the ending was just okay. Okay. It kept me from hating the book, and made me realize that it was "good fiction" in the sense that it's a worthy read (follows all the rules), but just not for me. I DO see why my friends have given it 5 stars, and maybe I would have, too, at a different stage of my life.

Despite the plot, which caused me needless suffering, I did pick up more understanding of Afghan culture, and understanding where people come from is so important, so I did benefit somewhat from this novel.
Hosseini's writing is significantly better in his second novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns, so if his writing seems somewhat immature in this one, do not give up on him. He improves his style of narration "a thousand times over." Less obvious foreshadowing, less cliche, and more subtly in his later work.

So while I recognize that this is quality literature, I wish I hadn't read it. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I don't know why I put off reading this book for so long. I really enjoyed the whole story. To see Afghanistan through the eyes of a child in the beginning and to see how Afghanistan has changed through the same eyes as an adult.

Amir is the narrator of this story. To see how life was for him growing up, leaving Afghanistan when things start to change and then coming back to set somethings straight. I am not that familiar with the lifestyle in Afghanistan and reading about it written by a person that was born in Kabul, Afghanistan.

Amir is friends with a Hazara boy who is also his servant's son. The things they get themselves into are typical of all children. I will be picking up the second book by this Khaled Hosseini. ( )
  crazy4reading | Jul 18, 2015 |
I decided to get out of my usual reading habits and take a chance on this book which is fiction, but in a much too real Afghanistan.

This is one of the best book I have read in a couple of years, period. The writing is phenomenal, and you get to truly care, not only for the characters, but for Afghanistan itself and the people currently living there.

Would I recommend this book? "For you, a thousand times over" ( )
1 vote kinwolf | Jul 6, 2015 |
The Kite Runner begins in Afghanistan with a boy named Amir and his father living happy but after the threat of Soviet forces they flee to America then soon after in the book, Amir's father dies. Later on in the story Amir is wedded to his wife but then he is called upon by his fathers old friend to return to Afghanistan and then later on he ends up saving a boy, the son of a child hood friend, named Sohrab and that gives Amir his redemption
added by CRosss | editLos Angeles Times, Cameron.Ross (Sep 10, 2014)

The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

il était un enfant calme. le calme est synonyme de paix. de tranquillité. le calme, c'est lorsqu'on pousse la manette volume de la vie vers le bas.
il marchait comme s'il avait peur de laisser des traces de pas derrière lui. il se déplaçait comme s'il souhaitait ne pas créer le moindre mouvement d'air.
added by fati.mokhtari | editFZ

Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
For you, a thousand times over.
I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great.

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0747566534, Paperback)

In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.

The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:04 -0400)

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present. The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption, and it is also about the power of fathers over sons-their love, their sacrifices, their lies.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,131,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible