The Kite Runner (2003)

by Khaled Hosseini

48,075123420 (4.19)1 / 922
Traces the unlikely friendship of a wealthy Afghan youth and a servant's son in a tale that spans the final days of Afghanistan's monarchy through the atrocities of the present day.
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M. G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    American Taliban by Pearl Abraham (SheReads)
    SheReads: Very different, but the cultural relevancy of both books has similar characteristics.

Asia (15)

English (1,100)  Dutch (40)  Spanish (23)  Danish (12)  German (11)  French (8)  Italian (8)  Swedish (6)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (2)  Croatian (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Indonesian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,230)
Story set in recent Afghanistan and American history as told through the story of two boys, one Shia, one Sh'ite, who run Kites in pre-Taliban pre-Russian Afghanistan. Until something happens, and they both have to live with the consequences for the rest of their lives[return][return]Some of the scenes I read in this I remember seeing something similar on the internet, certainly footage from the football stadium that I found difficult to watch.
  nordie | Apr 18, 2022 |
Hosseini’s tragic coming-of-age story about a fractured friendship has so much emotions, suspense and drama. It tells us the story of the son of a rich Afghan, Amir and the son of a servant, Hassan who have a strong friendship with each other and a love for kite flying. However, their friendship slowly diminishes after Hassan is a victim of an unspeakable crime and Amir was unable to help him. It will also lead to a series of life challenges for Amir as he grows into adulthood, leading up to him to go on a unexpected path to redemption. ( )
  064 | Apr 3, 2022 |
Though carefully and dramatically crafted, this is the kind of book that makes me think it is long past time

for us to re-cross the African Savannas and hoist ourselves back up into the trees.

Horror after horror, Betrayal after Betrayal, Lies, Guilt, and Grief...after.... ( )
  m.belljackson | Mar 22, 2022 |
Maybe there's skill involved here, but I hate this book. I really think it's sentimental pandering, false at its center. There's something more than bad about this book: it's emotionally manipulative in a way that contrives to flatter the reader. ( )
  AnnKlefstad | Feb 4, 2022 |
A very compelling story. Beautiful images and a story line that keeps the reader riveted. ( )
  Richard_Bradshaw | Jan 22, 2022 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Hosseini, Khaledprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
"For you, a thousand times over."
"I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great."
"But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie".

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,090,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible