dismiss

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner (2003)

by Khaled Hosseini

Other authors: Mirka Andolfo (Illustrator), Fabio Celoni (Illustrator)

45,045116819 (4.2)1 / 881
Traces the unlikely friendship of a wealthy Afghan youth and a servant's son in a tale that spans the final days of Afghanistan's monarchy through the atrocities of the present day.
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (susonagger)
    The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (the_frog)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (BiddySouts)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan by Nelofer Pazira (kathrynnd)
    The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Those who have been through a war never really leave it behind and the consequences often reach beyond those immediately involved.
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (BiddySouts)
    The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (Anonymous user)
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (Anonymous user)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (infiniteletters)
    Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both beautifully written accounts of atrocities we never really think about. Each one is a fast and amazing read.
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (alzo)
    The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M. G. Vassanji (Yervant)
    Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras (JanHeemskerk)
    The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis (abesue)
    The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (bsiemens)
    Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Shooting Kabul by N. H. Senzai (meggyweg)
    American Taliban by Pearl Abraham (SheReads)
    SheReads: Very different, but the cultural relevancy of both books has similar characteristics.

Asia (12)

English (1,045)  Dutch (37)  Spanish (22)  Danish (12)  German (9)  French (8)  Italian (6)  Swedish (6)  Norwegian (4)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (2)  Croatian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Bulgarian (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (1,163)
Marvelous book by Mr Khaled Hosseini. This book is about Amir a Afghani living in Kabul with his father and 2 servant father ali and son hassan duo. Amir and Hassan grew together in the same house. Ali and Hassan were Hazara a working class caste. This story is about how Amir tries to fight his own demons by facing the demon. He tries to save Hassan's son's life where as he could not save hassans life in the winter of 1975. The story is poised greatly keeping the reader attached to the story. Story starts from Amir's childhood in Afghanistan and goes again to Afghanistan to bring Hassan child with him which makes him face his own demon and passes with flying colours with the help of Sorabh Hassan's son. Overall I would a say a very very good Goodread.... 😊 ( )
  ShriVenne | May 14, 2020 |
Amir, Sohn eines wohlhabenden Paschtunen, verbindet eine enge Freundschaft mit Hassan, dem Sohn des Hausdieners. Die Jungen verbringen ihre Kindheit wie Brüder, und zu ihren Lieblingsbeschäftigungen gehört es, Drachen steigen zu lassen. Doch eines Tages begeht Amir auf furchtbare Weise Verrat an Hassan, ihre Freundschaft zerbricht. Jahrzehnte später sieht Amir dann die Gelegenheit, seinen schlimmen Fehler wiedergutzumachen. Doch gleichzeitig zweifelt er daran, die große Schuld, die er als Kind auf sich geladen hat, so viele Jahre später sühnen zu können.
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
I wanted to like this book, I really did but I couldn't buy into the naivete of it, as touching as it was. I felt that although it was a beautiful story of attempted redemption (the boy didn't really redeem himself) it became predictable - not in the ending but in the expectation, all the way through, that he was going to get the opportunity to redeem himself and for that alone I felt the book was too one dimensional. It's as though he has decided that he will touch pre-determined nerve endings in order to evoke the idea that we can all be redeemed. He's a good story teller but he's not a good writer, it's as though I'm reading the holiday scribblings of a fourteen year old, but the movie will probably be an award winner. ( )
  GhostofBelleStar | Apr 10, 2020 |
I read this for the "A Sports Related Book" part of my 2019 reading challenge. I gave it a 4 because it's well written and I read it in a day and couldn't put it down, but overall I strongly dislike it and find it really depressing and traumatizing. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
This was nice. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
The Kite Runner is about the price of peace, both personal and political, and what we knowingly destroy in our hope of achieving that, be it friends, democracy or ourselves.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Observer, Amelia Hill (Sep 7, 2003)

At times, the book suffers from relentless earnestness and somewhat hackneyed descriptions. But Hosseini has a remarkable ability to imprison the reader in horrific, shatteringly immediate scenes... The result is a sickening sensation of complicity.
added by Shortride | editTime, Aryn Baker (Sep 1, 2003)

This powerful first novel, by an Afghan physician now living in California, tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love.

Khaled Hosseiniprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaj, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, HoniCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to
Haris and Farah, both
the noor of my eyes,
and to the children
of Afghanistan.
I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
I see now that Baba was wrong, there is a God, there always had been. I see Him here, in the eyes of the people in this corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him, not the white masjid, with its bright diamond lights and towering minarets. There is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to him in my hour of need.
"For you, a thousand times over."
"I see America has infused you with the optimism that has made her so great."
"But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie".

This novel presents life in Afghanistan before the revolution and the Russian invasion. The author describes the customs and culture of the Afghan people and the difficulty of immigrants trying to adapt to American life. Most of all, this is a story of friendship, family, betrayal, and redemption. There are intense images, but the book is very powerful and well-written. The 2007 movie was based on this book.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,704,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible