Fables, Vol. 06: Homelands

by Bill Willingham

Other authors: Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Dan Green (Illustrator), David Hahn (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), Lan Medina (Illustrator)

Series: Bill Willingham's Fables (Vol. 6, Issues 34-41), Fables 2002-2015 (#34-#41)

Collecting issues #34-41 of writer Bill Willingham's Eisner Award-winning creation, HOMELANDS follows Boy Blue on a mission of revenge as he uncovers the Adversary's true identity! Plus, the 2-part story of Jack's adventures in Hollywood and the one-shot story of Mowgli's return to Fabletown.

It was every bit as awesome as I thought it'd be! ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
Once upon a time... we got the story of Jack of the Fables and his meteoric rise (and eventually fall) as a reclusive Hollywood billionaire. And that's just the first story. On top of that, we get another section in the lands of the Fables, with Boy Blue, Action Hero, keen on saving his lady love, willing to Vorpal Sword his way through anyone to get what he wants. And confirmation that the adversary is who we thought he was, plus the big How He Did It all along. Quite the crazy story.

I'm honestly quite impressed with how awesome Boy Blue has turned out to be in this story.

I really do like these bigger worldbuilding stories. Well worth the read.

Spoilery favorite images:

It's funny because they're all centuries old. We don't always get that, but from time to time.

So he's Jack the Horny. Why are so many Fables seemingly obsessed with sex? And is there anything preventing half Fables running around? I don't think I've seen such a thing.

SNICKER-SNACK! I love the Vorpal Sword. And the Witching Cloak. And really just Boy Blue in general in this section.

Oh Geppetto. I would never have pegged you as the Adversary, but the more we see, the more it makes perfect sense. And the more we see how it all came to be...

That Winter chick is going to be interesting, calling it now.

The Witching cloak is pretty cool! And Boy Blue is intense.

Important men only lie about important things.

That, is quite an interesting point.

It just keeps getting bigger! Especially looking forward to the next Fables tale: [b:Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights|21327|Fables, Vol. 7 Arabian Nights (and Days)|Bill Willingham|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1327962799l/21327._SX50_.jpg|2542586].

Once again, Boy Blue is awesome. That is all. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Couple bumps, but lovely. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
'Homelands' was satisfying, I didn't mind that the identity of the Adversary was who I expected it to be. There are times when you can build up a good surprise, and others you can't. If they had gone any other way I would have been irritated at the red herrings.

Boy Blue left Fabletown after the battle, stealing the Witching Cloak and the Vorpal Blade, and stalks the homelands seeking Red Riding Hood and the Adversary himself. This is our first real look at the Homelands other than flashbacks from when the Fables were escaping and it was a great blend of history and fantasy.

Fables

Previous: 'Fables: 1,001 Nights of Snowfall'

Next: 'Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days)' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I love getting more back story. The further these graphic novels go on, the more fleshed out the setting and characters are. I know I keep saying it but it literally keeps getting better and better! Each installment is five star worthy!
  ecataldi | Jul 31, 2018 |

Medina, LanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This volume is dedicated wtih respect and gratitude to Mike Sinner, who traveled these lands with me long before I was priveliged to write about them.
— Bill Willingham
Once upon a time (actually the day after Snow White and her babies were banished to the Farm, and Bigby Wolf left Fabletown forever) a man named Jack set out to find his own bold new direction in life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,847,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible