Fables, Vol. 05: The Mean Seasons

by Bill Willingham

Other authors: Tony Akins (Illustrator), Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Todd Klein (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), Jimmy Palmiotti (Illustrator)1 more, Daniel Vozzo (Illustrator)

Series: Bill Willingham's Fables (Vol. 5, Issues 22, 28-33), Fables 2002-2015 (#22, #28-#33)

Collecting issues 22 and 28-33 of the hit VERTIGO series, this trade paperback features two tales of Bigby's exploits during World War II as well as "The Year After," which follows the aftermath of the Adversary's attempt to conquer Fabletown — including the birth of Snow White and Bigby's children!… (more)

My favorite number so far. A lot of people don't like the side story about WWII but I thought it was a fine Wolfman vs. Frankenstein send up. The main story ends with a nice little mystery that in hindsight was hinted at ever since the grandfather North arrived. The Cindy lead story ends up tying up some loose ends that lead into the main story line.

Meanwhile the election for mayor is held and Snow delivers. But where is Little Boy Blue? ( )
  Gumbywan | Jun 24, 2022 |
Pretty cool but feels like a transitional story than a substantial one. I'm sure it's acting as a setup for the next volume. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
After the intensity and depth of [b:Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers|21325|Fables, Vol. 4 March of the Wooden Soldiers|Bill Willingham|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1327870401l/21325._SX50_.jpg|1330999], I fully expected [b:Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons|21330|Fables, Vol. 5 The Mean Seasons|Bill Willingham|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1327870458l/21330._SX50_.jpg|2910] to be something of a step back, a breather. And that's exactly what we got.

That's not to say nothing happened. There's a backstory of Bigby wolf in the war, Snow White goes through childbirth, the election between King Cole and Prince Charming finally happens, and Bigby's father finally gets to meet the lady who's snared his son's heart. And of course along the way, things get bloody and wacky hijinks ensue (sometimes at the same time!).

For a relatively lighter episode, it's still plenty dark, with any number of minor characters (this time) dying and a number of rising and falling stars. We also do realize that no matter how deep we dig into the world of Fables, there's always another secret.

It's kind of crazy to think that more than a year passes throughout this book. Then again, just about all the characters are immortal, so...

Spoilers:

Secret ... Agent Cinderela? Sure! I did not see that coming, but it works.

It's funny because it's true. Bigby being a special asset using his powers in times of war--and with at least a few people 'in the know' is fascinating. I could do with an entire series of just that, honestly.

Of course Frankenstein is a thing.

On to the main story:

44 hours... is quite the time. And it's funny because she survived exactly that--getting shot in the head. And that was probably easier.

Man the farm is a weird and wonderful place. Seeing all those non-human Fables together like that is fascinating. Shrekesque even (Shrek actually predates Fables by a year... who would have thought that?).

Turns out... wolves have litters. And Snow White is awfully magical. But there's another reason they're all floaty that no one seems to pin down.

Man. Imagine floating babies.

I hope so. Well, Bigby at least. I think he and Snow are good for one another.

Birds make excellent[^ish] baby sitters.

I'm Mister... White Christmas. I'm Mister Snow.

... no more spoilers, but that was quite the twist! I want to see more of this; I want to see more of it all!

[^ish]: At the very least they can catch the babies when they fly off! ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Seriously enjoying this series. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Fables is still as solid as ever but this feels like a lot of table setting with not a lot of interesting developments. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |

Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Palmiotti, JimmyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one's for Jenette Kahn and Lisa Henson, who shared a good season with me, before the winter set in.

-- Bill Willingham
New York City.

"Say what you will about our mutual ex-husband."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,846,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible