Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

Steelheart

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: The Reckoners (1)

2,3471334,155 (4.02)1 / 95
At age eight, David watched as his father was killed by an Epic, a human with superhuman powers, and now, ten years later, he joins the Reckoners--the only people who are trying to kill the Epics and end their tyranny.

English (132)  Dutch (1)  All languages (133)
A typical Sanderson novel, in that it sucked me in and only grudgingly released me each evening. While the genre (superheroes / supervillians) is not exactly my favourite, it is, as I have come to expect from Sanderson, well written and engaging.

The story is, sadly, in large parts predictable. I couldn't really identify with the main character, but that may be because he's a gun nut and I am many things but not that. Even with these problems, I enjoyed the book, and will read the next part when it comes out. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
Won in a Christmas competition on twitter by Gollancz.

In Steelheart, Brandon Sanderson has taken the Super-Hero trope and turned it on its head. The world has become over run with Super-Villains, known as Epics. Steelheart of the title being one of these. These people have taken the roles of tyrants and their henchmen. Our hero joins a small group of vigilantes, the Reckoners, who seek to assassinate the Epics. What follows reads like an action film, with some good characters and a few tricks. Sanderson is inventive in his super powers, world building and overall delivers a fun read. Most enjoyable.

I have bought the short-story Mitosis and am looking forward to the Sequel "Firefight" ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
Steelheart was a very engaging tour through a post-apocalyptic Chicago. The basic premise is that an object appeared in space, Calamity, and soon after, some humans (epics) started manifesting special powers. Unfortunately, they aren't nice, like Superman. The title character, Steelheart, rules like a god-emperor with a few other epics as allies. Society fractures and people do what they must to survive.

In addition to being an interesting and well utilized realm, this book had just the right balance between thoughtfulness (what do you do if Superman isn't coming to save humanity?) and action. While it grapples with serious things and there is a fair amount of death, I think it would be reasonable for YA readers who enjoyed The Hunger Games. ( )
  phiguru | Mar 25, 2019 |
David wants revenge. Steelheart killed his father while David, only a kid then, looked on powerless. He's eighteen now, but he's still just a normal human. Steelheart is an Epic--one of the people who developed superpowers and turned into a supervillain after a star named Calamity burst into Earth's sky. Supposedly, nobody fights the Epics, but David knows that's not true. There are human resisters called the Reckoners, and David wants to join them, if they'll have him. He's pretty sure they will, when he tells them what he knows: he's seen the impervious Steelheart bleed.

I read a good hundred pages of this fast-paced novel without any investment in the outcome. I was reading fast, having a great time, enjoying the coolness of the book although it clearly knows it's a cool book. David was just a kid telling me a story with an original storyworld and some brilliant plot twists. Then, at some point, that changed. Interpersonal relationships between the characters began to deepen, and I started rooting for David and all the Reckoners. I started caring about whether or not they came out alive and okay.

The layers of these characters slowly peel away until those who seemed like tropes in the beginning prove themselves to be more than that. The plot is driven by their choices and the consequences of their choices. And many times when I thought I knew where the story was headed, Sanderson surprised me with something better than I wanted.

If half stars were possible, I'd have to give this one 4.5 due to some info-dumping (mostly early in the book, but a bit of repetition later on made me grind my teeth) and one character whose dialogue got on my nerves due to an accent that needed to be dialed down about three notches. Other than those gripes, however, I loved this book. It's clear that characters are what matter most to this author (as opposed to cool plot twists), and ultimately characters are the thing I'm reading for.

Fun and deep by turns, Steelheart is fresh, bold, and enthralling. I cannot wait to read Firefight (paperback on order!). ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book! There were some twists I didn't expect which was good. I can't wait to read the next one.

I figured out Megan but had no clue about the other twist!

9/25 I just finished rereading this book and I would give it a 4.5 and I think this would make a great movie! ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bryan, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carlino, AngelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dallin Sanderson, who fights evil every day with his smile
Prologue

I've seen Steelheart bleed.

I skidded down a stairwell and crunched against steel gravel at the bottom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,926,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible