The Invisible Guardian (2012)

by Dolores Redondo

Series: Baskimaan murhat (1), Baztan Trilogy (1)

A killer at large in a remote Basque Country valley , a detective to rival Sarah Lund, myth versus reality, masterful storytelling -- the Spanish bestseller that has taken Europe by storm. The naked body of a teenage girl is found on the banks of the River Baztán. Less than 24 hours after this discovery, a link is made to the murder of another girl the month before. Is this the work of a ritualistic killer or of the Invisible Guardian, the Basajaun, a creature of Basque mythology? 30-year-old Inspector Amaia Salazar heads an investigation which will take her back to Elizondo, the village in the heart of Basque country where she was born, and to which she had hoped never to return. A place of mists, rain and forests. A place of unresolved conflicts, of a dark secret that scarred her childhood and which will come back to torment her. Torn between the rational, procedural part of her job and local myths and superstitions, Amaia Salazar has to fight off the demons of her past in order to confront the reality of a serial killer at loose in a region steeped in the history of the Spanish Inquisition.… (more)

English (17)  Spanish (13)  Catalan (8)  Polish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (41)
La inspectora de la sección de homicidios de la Policía Foral, Amaia Salazar, será la encargada de dirigir una investigación que la llevará devuelta a Elizondo, una pequeña población de donde es originaria y de la que ha tratado dehuir toda su vida. Enfrentada con las cada vez más complicadas derivaciones del caso y con sus propios fantasmas familiares, la investigación de Amaia es una carrera contrarreloj para dar con un asesino que puede mostrar el rostro más aterrador de una realidad brutal al tiempo que convocar a los seres más inquietantes de las leyendas del Norte. ( )
  AmicanaLibrary | Aug 17, 2023 |
I just want to say before I review this book that it's very handy to have all three books to read. Or perhaps as audiobooks as I did. Well, the first book did I have both as a paperback and audiobook, but I preferred listening to them. The narrator is fabulous! Anyway, they are so good all three, and it's like one book split into three parts. So, get all three!

In The Invisible Guardian do we get introduced to Amaia Salazar who will lead the investigation of the death of the teenage girl found on the banks of the River Baztán. She herself has grown up in the village of Elizondo close to where the girl was found and returning there with her husband, who is an American artist, will bring back dark memories. Her childhood was very traumatic and this still affects her life. Then, the killer strikes again. Is there a serial killer loose or is it the Basajaun who is killing the girls?

The Invisible Guardian is just my kind of book with an interesting main character who has to return home to a town that has a lot of superstitions. I love small town settings when it comes to crime novels, especially towns with secrets. The setting of the town of Elizondo in a Basque valley added to my interest since I knew nothing about the history of the Basque people and this was like taking a step back in time to a more superstitious time. I quite liked getting to know more about the invisible guardian, the Basajaun, a creature of Basque mythology that is said to protect the forests. The Invisible Guardian is a great book that I recommend warmly! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
Inspector Amaia Salazar returns to her home town, having been put in charge of the search for a serial killer. She also has to contend with PTSD from her experiences at the hands of her abusive mother and spooky goings-on in the forest with creatures from Basque legend.

Enjoyable background in Tarot mysticism and the basajaun and uncertainty as to whether they were real or just part of the characters' belief system. Looking forward to the second part of the trilogy. ( )
  Robertgreaves | May 5, 2022 |
This is an atmospheric tale of what happens when a detective is sent back to her hometown to investigate some serial killings. Set in a village in northern Spain, two, no three young women are found dead and family secrets are dug up. Happy endings there are not, even though most people are satisfied that the killer has been found. I did not realize this was part of a trilogy when I started reading it, and my library owns only the first volume. Sigh. How badly do I want to read all of the Barztan trilogy? I haven't decided yet as I'm feeling overwhelmed by Mt. TBR.

Also made into a movie trilogy. ( )
  markon | Jan 8, 2022 |
En los márgenes del río Baztán, en el valle de Navarra, aparece el cuerpo desnudo de una adolescente en una circunstancia que lo relacionan con un asesinato ocurido en los alrededores un mes atrás.

La inspectora de la sección de homicidios de la policía foral, Amaia Salazar, será la encargada de dirigir una invesitgación que la llevará de vuelta a Elizondo, una pequeña población de la que es originaria y de donde ha tratado de huir toda su vida. Enfrentada con las cada vez más complicadas derivaciones del caso y con sus propios fantasmas familiares, la investigación de Amaia es una carrera contrarreloj para dar con un asesino que puede mostrar el rostro más aterrador de una realidad brutal al tiempo que convocar a los seres más inquietantes de las leyendas del Norte...
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Dolores Redondoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gregory, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Clàssica (957)
Oblidar és un acte involuntari. Com més vols deixar
alguna cosa enrera, més et persegueix.

WILLIAM JONAS BARKLEY

Estimada nena, has de pensar que aquesta poma
no és com les altres, aquesta poma té màgia.

La Blancaneu i el sets nans,
de WALT DISNEY
Forgetting is an involuntary act. The more you want to leave something behind you, the more it follows you.
-- WILLIAM JONAS BARKLEY

This is no ordinary apple; it's a magic wishing apple.
-- WALT DISNEY'S SNOW WHITE
Per a l'Eduardo, que em va demanar que escrivís aquest llibre,
i per a en Ricard Domingo, que el va saber veure quan era invisible.
Per a en Rubén i l'Esther, per fer-me plorar de riure.
For Eduardo, who asked me to write this book,
and for Ricard Domingo who saw it when it was invisible.

For Ruben and Esther, for making me cry with laughter.
L'Ainhoa Elizasu va ser la segona víctima del basajaun, tot i que aleshores la premsa encara no li deia així.
Ainhoa Elizasu was the second victim of the "basajaun", although the press was yet to coin that name for it.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,942,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible