Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Miss Nelson Has a Field Day by Harry Allard

Miss Nelson Has a Field Day (1982)

by Harry Allard

Other authors: James Marshall (Illustrator)

Series: Miss Nelson (3)

Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 7, 2017 |
miss nelson gets miss swamp to take over the football team after the coach was sent away with "measles". coach swamp turned the team around and ended up winning their game.
1 book
  TUCC | Aug 5, 2016 |
The theme is showing good sportsmanship
  Rachel_Scarborough | Apr 18, 2016 |
I picked this book because I had always really enjoyed Miss Nelson books when I was growing up. For this book, I would have students write who they think Coach Swamp was. ( )
  ksd011 | Mar 16, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book because of the illustrations, the writing, and the plot. I like how the illustrations aid the words in conveying the character's emotions and feelings. For example, in the beginning of the book as the author is talking about how the school is sad about their bad football team, the pictures show the principle under his desk, very sad looking students, and a rambunctious football team that does not care. The illustrations help reinforce the things the author is telling us by showing them what the characters are up to in the story and how they are acting. Also, I like the writing style and how the wording is accurate for the characters who are talking. The students sound like kids, while the adults are proper in the way they speak. For example, the students say things like "holy smokes" and talk about plotting against their new coach. In addition, the writing is direct an is clearly written in a way that readers have no difficulty understanding the text and what the message of the story is. In addition, I like the plot and how it is well paced and is logical. The problem is clearly presented in the beginning of the story and has a definite resolution by the end of the story. The characters are all realistic and many of them grow and develop during the story, like how the football team becomes good players and the principal goes from hiding under his desk to being proud of the school. Also, the events are logical and there isn't anything too unrealistic, especially since readers are able to figure out who Viola Swamp is at the end of the book. The mystery added in the plot helps engage readers and causes them to make predictions about who the character of Viola Swamp could possibly be. The main message of the story is that sometimes all you need is to work hard and you can achieve your goals. ( )
  MarissaLechmann | Oct 26, 2015 |

Harry Allardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marshall, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The notorious Miss Swamp reappears at the Horace B. Smedley School, this time to shape up the football team and help them to win at least one game.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:33 -0400)

The notorious Miss Swamp reappears at the Horace B. Smedley School, this time to shape up the football team and make them win at least one game.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,516,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible