Shift by Hugh Howey

Shift (2013)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Wool (omnibus 6-8), Silo Series (2)

English (73)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (76)
This is book two in the Wool Trilogy. This book takes us back in time to the year 2039 when the silos first became an idea. The main charater - Donald - is a senator who has been brought on the project to help build the silo. He was an architect before we ran for government office, so he is to design something that can go underground for over 100 floors. He spends months and months profecting the design. When it is finally put into place, he finds out that it wasn't just for one silo, but for 50. And that instead of them being used "in case", they would be used to save the human race.

The book starts to jump forward a century at a time. People who were placed in the silo in 2039 are being woken for 6 month shifts to keep the silos running. Donald is awake and starting a shift, but his memory has been wiped and he thinks he is a man named Troy. He is given a daily pill to keep his memories at bay, but as he starts to refuse the pills, he starts to remember who he was and what happened. Each time he is awake, he remembers more and tries to solve the mysteries of why the silos exist, what happened to his wife, and what is happening in the other silos.

I liked this book as much as the first. It opened the world and gave us an insight on how it all began and who is running the silos. We learn the reason they were put into place and see how they evolved to where they were during the first book in the year 2300. We also get to see how Jimmy (aka Solo) started alone at the age of 16 until he was found by Juliette.

I encourage you to read this series. I am looking forward to reading book 3 ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I read Wool and LOVED it and got hooked to this series. After finishing Wool, I couldn't wait to find out what happened next so I started Shift. Although I enjoyed Shift, I didn't like it as much as Wool. The epilogue did give me goosebumps and is enough as a cliffhanger/teaser that I'll probably be reading Dust in the next couple of books.

I enjoyed how this book answered some hanging questions from Wool and finding out the story of how things got to be the way that are in Wool. There were a lot of moments where I was like... "Ahh, ok... now I get it". My complaint is that some of the parts seemed to drag on and I got a bit bored and it was easy for me to put the book down. Luckily there were too many parts like that. ( )
  CharleyBethH | Aug 23, 2018 |
I liked "Wool" better. It started out well, but then dragged a bit through the middle. It got better at the end---enough to make me want to read the third in the series. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
Just wow. Such great story telling. When I read wool it was a great story on it's own, but as the universe it's set in expands, it's... Oh man. ( )
  jwilker | May 23, 2018 |

Hugh Howeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all those who find themselves well and truly alone.
IN 2007, THE Center for Automation in Nanobiotech (CAN) outlined the hardware and software platforms that would one day allow robots smaller than human cells to make medical diagnoses, conduct repairs and even self-propagate.
Troy returned to the living and found himself inside of a tomb.

What would you do if you were forced to survive when everyone you cared about whas dead and the only place you could live was in a closed-off world buried deep below ground?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,557,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible