Star of the Morning by Lynn Kurland

Star of the Morning (2006)

by Lynn Kurland

Series: Nine Kingdoms (1)

Amazing book. Such a wonderful mix of fantasy, action, and romance. Cannot wait to read the second one. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Don't be fooled by the description. This book is actually a romance hidden under a flimsy fantasy-book disguise. I was lured in by the promise of adventure and a fantasy plot, but instead I just got endless pages of slow-building romance. Which is not a bad thing, but definitely not what I expected.

I can't say that I like this book though. It hits a lot of the usual notes for a female-lead fantasy book, but it missed the mark for me, overall. I had problems with main characters, the side characters, the romance, the plot... I guess I had a lot of problems with this book.

To start off, Morgan is supposed to absolutely kick-ass what with her amazing sword skills and no-nonsense personality. She takes it like a man and can throw down harder than one in a swordfight. But even though she is supposed to be the strong female character (and I love those in my books!), I don't like her. I think the reason is because I haven't seen her "earn" her strength. She just comes into the book already the strongest shieldmaiden that can take down any man and a pretty little backstory of being trained by one of the greatest fighters. But I don't care about that. I haven't seen her sweat tears and blood for that strength so it bores me. It's like a cheap way of making her a strong character. She's a "strong female character" because she's physically strong. That's not strength to me.

Morgan also really annoyed me whenever she spoke. She complains about Adhemar bragging about himself, but her words are so freaking arrogant and casually dismissive. And then she would pry for Miach's secrets with the parting words that she'll figure him out, and then be obstinately closed-mouth about herself, her goals, and her past. Until, of course, y'know, they start falling in love. Then they're open books. Blahh..

Other major problem I have: freaking perfect main characters. Not only are Morgan and Miach powerful and magical and the strongest of all, they are also beautiful. Insta-fall-in-love beautiful. I don't do perfect characters and I don't do beauty without a major flaw. I think having characters moon over someone's beauty cheapens any romance that develops.
Riddle me this: what character flaw do they have?
... right. Thought so. And that makes them boring.

The side characters were useless. Why were they even there?

I am just annoyed because this entire book was a romance. The plot is a flimsy reason for these characters to meet. Honestly, in the whole book nothing happened but the romance. In the long journey, only a romance was achieved. At the end of the book, we find out that Morgan is indeed the swordbearer. Which we knew from the beginning since they introduced her!! So what excitement is there for the reader? Uhhhhh no plot (since the big plot purpose was figured out from meeting Morgan), not world building (we just see trees and horses). What's left? Oh right. Romance. Whoop-de-doo.

If you think about it, Adhemar and Miach don't even have a method to figure out who is the swordbearer. Did they think they were just going to waltz around the country randomly and find her? Well, I guess they did, and I think that's ridiculously stupid. Honestly, they met her and if they didn't travel with her and she didn't accidentally touch the sword, they would never have known. What kind of idiots are they? Did they even have a solid plan? No wonder their country is going to be invaded if the rulers just up and leave their throne to go on a wild goose chase with no plan. Their meeting was too contrived. Too happenstance for it to have happened.

What more can I say about this book? It was empty of magic. Oh there are shapeshifters and spells, but it's the same old, same old you see in any fantasy book. There are monster. Yep, scary things that you fight. There are... horses? Pretty horses. It's just such an empty world besides Morgan and Miach. And I don't like them nearly enough to like this book.

I was going to give it 2 stars because it was okay, but after writing all of my annoyances out, it's more like a 1.5 stars. But I'll round up to 2 because I'm generous and I did manage to finish without ever angrily tossing the book at my window.
I don't think I would recommend it to any of my friends though. I can't recommend it to people who like fantasy, because I think it's more of a romance novel. I can't recommend it as a romance because the pacing is a little too slow. I can't recommend it for people who like strong female characters, because I don't think she is one (besides her physical strength). I just don't know who I could recommend this to, even though it's really not a horrible book. Maybe nobody.

Note: I do not think I will pick up the second book unless I run out of things to read. I was just not convinced. And running out of things to read? Haha, highly unlikely. ( )
2 vote NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Riddle me this: what character flaw do they have?
... right. Thought so. And that makes them boring.

The side characters were useless. Why were they even there?

1 vote NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
An entertaining fantasy novel for adults full of romance, adventure and magic. Set in a land of dragons and mages, warrior women and magical swords, nothing is as it seems. Female warrior, Morgan of Melksham, can't stand magic but whilst on a quest finds it stirring within her. As a favor to her mentor, she has agreeed to deliver a magical blade to the King of Neroche (one of the nine kingdoms) who has lost his magical abilities. Joining her along the way is a stranger, Adhemar, also three old friends, and later Miach, who claims to be Adhemar's brother. Adhemar (who is the king of Neroche in disguise), and Miach (actually the archmage of Neroche), are searching for a person that the sword of Neroche will chose to weild it against the tide of black magic threatening their kingdom. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Mar 13, 2012 |
Liked it, even though I didn't understand a couple of things – hopefully the next book in the series will enlighten me. I think that somewhere in the middle of Morgan's mission things get unnecessarily complicated and confusing, and I only have to blame the secondary characters for it. Didn’t like any of them (except for Nicholas).
Really liked Morgan and Miach’s relationship, she’s so tough and has so many walls around her heart that I couldn’t imagine he could get through, but he did. Don’t get me wrong though, for the romance is almost inexistent in this book, one needs to be a patient reader regarding this subject and wait for new developments in the next books.

On a side note: Morgan from the cover totally looks like supermodel Gisele Bündchen.

*PT* http://cuidadocomodalmata.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/star-of-the-morning/ ( )
  Jen7waters | Dec 12, 2011 |

Lynn Kurlandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craig, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Darkness covers the north, since the black mage has begun his assault on the kingdom of Neroche. Legend has it that only the two magical swords held by Neroche's king can defeat the mage. Now the fate of the Nine Kingdoms rests in the hands of a woman destined to wield one of those blades...

In this land of dragons and mages, warrior maids and magical swords, nothing is as it seems. And Morgan will find that the magic in her blood brings her troubles she cannot face with a sword-and a love more powerful than she has ever imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:48 -0400)

As the dark forces and evil magic of the black mage threaten to engulf the kingdom of Neroche, the fate of the Nine Kingdoms lies in the hands of the woman destined to wield one of two magical swords in the possession of the king of Neroche.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,685,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible