dismiss

Tito Puente, Mambo King/Tito Puente, Rey del Mambo (Pura Belpre Honor…

by Monica Brown

A vibrant bilingual picture-book biography that portrays the musical and cultural phenomenon of Tito Puente, Mambo King.

As soon as I saw this book, it brought me back to my childhood. I grew up in Little Havana in Miami, Fl, where there was a strong Hispanic influence. From the food to the music. I remember watching Tito Puente playing with Celia Cruz in my living room with my parents. This book was very accurate with his portrayal and his musical influence in the Latin community. I learned that he lived in Spanish Harlem, which I never knew. I liked how the book is bilingual. The text is both in English and Spanish. The pictures and colors of this book reminded me of my cultural background, giving me a feeling of comfort. This will be a book that I will introduce to my students. ( )
  KaylaCrescioni | Mar 24, 2020 |
This book tells the true story of Tito Puente in a simple yet fun way so children can understand! This book is rich in illustrations and text that has you wanting more. ( )
  KPareti | Oct 10, 2019 |
I thought this book was great! This bilingual book was written about Puerto Rican musician Tito Puente. The book is written in both English and Spanish. The vibrant images on the pages show lots of emotion and the feelings evoked through different situations. This book a great read for bilingual students. They are able to learn about a real person while reading in English and Spanish. The book includes examples of onomatopoeia which could tie into a language arts topic or in social studies. This book is great for English Language Learners and older elementary students. ( )
  chayes14 | Apr 1, 2019 |
I liked this book for three reasons. The first thing that I noticed about the book were the vibrant illustrations. The illustrations are bright and are appropriate to the mood of the story. The smiling faces and swirls allow the reader to see the joy that the music brings to the people around Tito Puente. Second, I appreciate the organized plot of the story. The author takes the reader through the life of Tito Puente and his journey of making music. As a young boy, he bangs on pots and pans, and as an adult, he had an orchestra and won several Grammys. Lastly, the book includes many features to aid readers’ understanding. The book is bilingual, includes a biography for more information about Tito Puente, and has music notes for a simple rumba beat at the end. These features allow more readers to access/understand the text and explore more about Tito Puente. The big idea of this story is to take readers through the story of a musical legend’s life and career. ( )
  jmanga2 | Mar 31, 2019 |
Tito Puente, the Mambo King, was born to make music. This book is written in both English and Spanish so it would be a great book for Spanish speaking English Language Learners to practice. This book can be used in a Language Arts classroom to show examples of onomotopoeia as well as descriptive language. This book can also be used in social studies as an example of different types of biographies. ( )
  lauraedavis | Mar 8, 2019 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Monica Brown's book Tito Puente, Mambo King/Tito Puente, Rey del Mambo was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,121,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible