No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor…

No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World…

by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Dense book with a zillion actors explaining the dynamics between Eleanor and Franklin. I have to admit, Eleanor was a force to he reckoned with.

It's a comfort to read about the enormous problems that we faced during the 1930's and 40's and we survived. Today our government is in a shambles and the country divided. We're facing conflicting ideas concerning immigration , health care, climate control, race relations. These problems are not so far removed from the problems of yesterday.

I believe our society is basically good. Given the facts I believe we do the right thing. The Japanese internment camps were wrong. Turning away Jewish refugees fleeing persecution was wrong. Our tendency to be isolationists is wrong and we learned, at least I hope so.
I have never been a student of history until the twilight of my years. Its eye opening to realize not much has changed. People do not evolve quickly, yet when it happens it's like a sea change.

ER & FDR did much to shape our society in America as it is today. They did much to save the world. ( )
  Alphawoman | Apr 21, 2019 |
A good portrayal of marriage set against the backdrop of World War 2 ( )
  mollygerry | Nov 25, 2018 |
There is not much I can say about this book that has not already been said. This certainly was a book that immediately moves into my top 10 history books. Doris Kearns Goodwin is a special talent as a writer, and this in-depth look at Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt during the World War II years is everything you could hope for. It is a detailed look at the personal lives of the Roosevelts, their relationships with each other and with other friends and family, and American society during the War. I particularly enjoyed reading about the relationship between FDR and Churchill, and more than anything, I loved learning about Eleanor Roosevelt. I always knew the general biography of her accomplishments, but to read about her tireless efforts to help all people of every race, gender, and economic background in America was truly inspiring. Highly recommended. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Another great book by DKG! She makes the characters come to life! I really came to love Bothe FDR and Eleanor. Especially Eleanor- what an amazing First Lady and she she did for women's right and civil rights. DKG did point out her flaws although you couldn't help but find those endearing too! ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 18, 2017 |
First edition, inscribed by author, jacket
  Virginislander | Jul 16, 2017 |

Doris Kearns Goodwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Herrmann, EdwardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On May 10, 1940, Hitler invaded Holland, Luxembourg, Belgium, and France, bringing the "phony war" to an end, and initiating a series of events which led, almost inevitably, to America's involvement in history's greatest armed conflict.
They are not dead who live in lives they leave behind. In those whom they have blessed they live a life again.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671642405, Hardcover)

A compelling chronicle of a nation and its leaders during the period when modern America was created. With an uncanny feel for detail and a novelist's grasp of drama and depth, Doris Kearns Goodwin brilliantly narrates the interrelationship between the inner workings of the Roosevelt White House and the destiny of the United States. Goodwin paints a comprehensive, intimate portrait that fills in a historical gap in the story of our nation under the Roosevelts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

Presenting an aspect of American history that has never been fully told, this Pulitzer Prize-winning work paints a detailed, intimate portrait of FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt and provides a brilliant narrative account of America during wartime. Photos. No Ordinary Time is a monumental work, a brilliantly conceived chronicle of one of the most vibrant and revolutionary periods in the history of the United States. With an extraordinary collection of details, Goodwin masterfully weaves together a striking number of story lines--Eleanor and Franklin's marriage and remarkable partnership, Eleanor's life as First Lady, and FDR's White House and its impact on America as well as on a world at war. Goodwin effectively melds these details and stories into an unforgettable and intimate portrait of Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt and of the time during which a new, modern America was born.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,427,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible