HomeGroupsTalkExplore

How to Be Interesting: (In 10 Simple Steps)

by Jessica Hagy

Combining fresh and pithy life lessons, often just a sentence or two, with deceptively simple diagrams and graphs, this inspiring guide shows you how to lead a richer life. Written by the author of the Webby award-winning blog, Indexed.

English (5)  Spanish (1)  All languages (6)
An "interesting" (see what I did there?) read. A quick fun 30 or so minutes of reading. Nothing too extraordinary or crazy advice, but some good practical advice, and a lot of "do this" "don't do this" and "recommendations" that aren't really always practical or things that are easily done in any real sense outside of the fun and playful of it all. Mostly platitudes, but some fun gems in there.

The diagrams (Venn diagrams) and graphs are a nice fun touch to the book that gives it more perspective, but doesn't add a whole lot of weight to it. And each page ranges from 1 sentence to 6-10 sentences, so there is nothing super profound or amazing, and it's a super quick read.

But possibly worth a look just for a quick 'uplifting' beat. ( )
  BenKline | Jul 1, 2020 |
Cute but repetitive and very slight. ( )
  libraryhead | Jan 6, 2020 |
Forbes columnist Jessica Hagy gives us a glimpse of how to interesting ( or have a life worth talking about) through a series of topical, self-help infograms. A few of these are delightful ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
I did not find the book very interesting at all. I skimmed through it in about an hour. ( )
  writemoves | May 3, 2015 |
Jessica Hagy’s playfully engaging book “How to Be Interesting (In 10 Simple Steps)” is fun, stimulating, and rewarding as it encourages us to think about those we serve as much as we think about ourselves; being interesting, after all, means producing something of value to others rather than simply striving to make ourselves centers of attention. Step 2 of "How to Be Interesting," for example, speaks to the artist in each of us: "Share what you Discover. And be generous when you do. Not everybody went exploring with you. Let them live vicariously through your adventures." Those words help remind us that we engage in training-teaching-learning, writing, drawing, or any other creative endeavor that appeals to us because we have been lucky enough to have a vision that we correctly (or, in less lucky situations, incorrectly) assume will be of interest to others. While there’s nothing revolutionary in what Hagy is fostering--anyone involved in creative endeavors for a considerable period of time will be able to look at each of Hagy’s suggestions and cite other sources for similar ideas--the book does encourage us to remember that each of us brings our own unique set of experiences and dreams and visions to what we do. If we effectively share those with others as Hagy encourages us to do, we will have reached the goal implied by her title and encouraged by her suggestion that each of us work to "put your own spin on it." ( )
1 vote paulsignorelli | Jun 23, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,790,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible