Waiting for Wednesday by Nicci French

Waiting for Wednesday

by Nicci French

Psychotherapist Frieda Klein finds she has an unusually personal connection with DCI Karlsson's latest case. She is no longer working with him in an official capacity, but when her niece befriends Ruth Lennox's son, Ted, she finds herself in the awkward position of confidante to both Karlsson and Ted. When it emerges that Ruth was leading a secret life, her family closes ranks and Karlsson finds he needs Frieda's help more than ever before. But Frieda is distracted. Having survived an attack on her life, she is struggling to stay in control and when a patient's chance remark rings an alarm bell, she finds herself chasing down a path that seems to lead to a serial killer who has long escaped detection. Or is it merely a symptom of her own increasingly fragile mind? Because, as Frieda knows, every step closer to a killer is one more step into a darkness from which there may be no return...… (more)

English (20)  Dutch (5)  All languages (25)
I finished this novel two days after I got it. As some of you might know by now I read really fast, but my reviews sometimes take a while longer to get posted, that being said it’s usually because I like to let the story first sink in before I make a proper evaluation of the book. With Waiting for Wednesday by Nicci French my deliberations took a little longer seeing as I came to the conclusion that the Frieda Klein series is bumping off some of my favourite crime series’ from the list. Quick paced, intriguing and well-written, Waiting for Wednesday is the third book in this series, following up Tuesday is Gone and Blue Monday. What makes these books so endearing though is how swiftly the storyline pulls you into the world of Frieda Klein.

I was initially sceptical about Nicci French’s endurance in the genre, not because anything’s wrong with the books, on contraire, the storyline, characters and writing is really gripping, but because Nicci French is up against authors like Patricia Cornwell, J.D. Robb, and numerous other established crime authors. Now, I know in the rest of the world the name, Nicci French, might be well-known, but in South Africa and with the Frieda Klein series, I had my first taste of what they have to offer as did many other readers. That being said, I’m happy to announce that I may have been very wrong in that regard. Nicci French definitely shows that there is a lot more to come from them and that Frieda Klein is going to keep readers entertained for a long time. With unique twists and turns that keeps you wanting more long after you’ve finished the book, I can announce with a smile on my face that I can’t wait for the next book.

Waiting for Wednesday can be read as a standalone book, but it’s best to read the previous two to get a bit more background. Granted in this book new readers will be able to catch up, but for a more enriched reading experience, I’ll suggest to read the books in order.

So, the verdict is that I loved it. It’s as simple as that. Waiting for Wednesday is a good read and by golly, unless you don’t want to have some of your favourite crime writers knocked off of your metaphorical list, you better get your hands on the Frieda Klein series.

(Review originally posted on www.killeraphrodite.com ) ( )
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
From Amazon:

Nicci French’s Blue Monday and Tuesday’s Gone introduced the brilliant yet reclusive psychotherapist Frieda Klein to widespread critical acclaim, but Waiting for Wednesday promises to be her most haunting case yet.

Ruth Lennox, housewife and mother of three, is found dead in a pool of her own blood. Detective Chief Inspector Karlsson can’t piece together a motive and calls in Frieda, hoping her talents will offer a new angle on the case.

When it emerges that the mother was hiding a scandalous secret, her family closes ranks. Frieda herself is distracted, still reeling from an attempt on her life, and struggling with her own rare feelings of vulnerability. Then a patient’s chance remark sends Frieda down a dangerous path that seems to lead to a serial killer who’s long escaped detection. Is Frieda getting closer to unraveling either case? Or is she just the victim of her own paranoid, fragile mind? Because, as Frieda knows, every step closer to a killer is one more step into a darkness from which there may be no return . . .

Flawlessly executed, Waiting for Wednesday is a penetrating, twisted novel of murder and neurosis with a jaw-dropping climax that will linger in readers’ minds long after they have turned the last page.

Why I wanted to read it: Third in the Frieda Klein series.

I’m really surprised that I haven’t devoured this series one after another because they are just that good. This entry brings Frieda closer to some of the people in her life, dangles her love interest Sandy tantalizingly in front of our eyes, and confirms her persistent and stubborn determination to pursue things she thinks needs pursuing at the risk of her professional career and her life.

This book is an intricate puzzle. There are no missing pieces and no extraneous pieces. Things that don’t seem related might be, other things that may portend things fizzle away. We’re left guessing about a potential serial killer until a chance encounter ties two threads together. We learn more about how responsible Frieda feels for people. We learn about her strength of character in getting what she wants at the risk of a friendship.

All in all a very good book. ( )
1 vote karenmarie | Feb 27, 2019 |
This is the 3rd Frieda Klein novel. She no longer works for the Police as a psychotherapist.
She is recovering from her injuries after the last Police investigation she worked on.
Unwittingly she gets involved when her nieces friends Mother gets murdered, the Police investigate she looks after the children for a little bit.
She also teams up with an ex journalist and they uncover a Serial killer who has been killing young women.
OK book this but to many characters ( )
  Daftboy1 | Oct 2, 2018 |
Frieda is still not fully recovered after her nearly death. What she needed would be a quiet home, rest, and definitely not a new case she might occupy. It all starts with Joseph redesigning her bathroom, bringing her niece in with her, and soon three children who have lost their mother in tragic circumstances. Frieda does not have a quiet home anymore. She keeps out of the investigation, but is looking for a missing teenage girl. All of these activities are too much for her. She can not sleep anymore, hardly eats anything and looks almost like a ghost. Her nemesis Dean Reeves is always close to her, which does not necessarily soothe her.
Also the third volume of this series is very exciting. ( )
  Ameise1 | Aug 22, 2018 |
WAITING FOR WEDNESDAY: A FRIEDA KLEIN MYSTERY is Book 3 in this riveting suspense series by Nicci French.
I love the map and description of the meandering Wandle River. So far, I have learned about 3 ‘lost, buried’ rivers in the greater London area: the River Fleet, the River Tyburn and now the River Wandle. I am fascinated.
Frieda was introduced to the Wandle at the home of Laurence Dawes, when they spoke of his missing daughter, Lila.
LD “I’ve always liked the idea of living by a river. You never know what’s going to float by. I can see that you like it, too.” FK “I do,” Frieda admitted.
I like a series that has strong, continuing threads running through each title. They (ex. the rivers in this series) keep me interested and intrigued and often offer up clues and insights into various characters and plots in a story.
There are 2 strong ‘cases’ in this title - the missing girls, with a search spearheaded by journalist Jim Fearby, and the brutal, appalling murder of Ruth Lennox. Both cases leave behind scattered suspects and damaged persons like flotsam from a sinking ship.
This title is a bit more of a stand-alone book in terms of plot, although I do recommend reading the series in order. Frieda’s structured, calm, kind, solitary psyche is our main character here.
Josef, DCI Malcolm Karlsson, Yvette, Sasha, Reuben, Sandy, Olivia, Chloe, the lost, damaged Lennox family - all have their roles to play, but Frieda’s role is the main one.
A psychological thriller; suspense and mystery - hard to put down. ( )
  diana.hauser | Jun 15, 2018 |
For Pat and John, once more with feeling.
There was no sign that anything was wrong.

Ruth Lennox, beloved mother of three, is found by her daughter in a pool of her own blood. Who would want to murder an ordinary housewife? And why? Psychotherapist Frieda Klein finds she has an unusually personal connection with DCI Karlsson's latest case. She is no longer working with him in an official capacity, but when her niece befriends Ruth Lennox's son, Ted, she finds herself in the awkward position of confidante to both Karlsson and Ted. When it emerges that Ruth was leading a secret life, her family closes ranks and Karlsson finds he needs Frieda's help more than ever before. But Frieda is distracted. Having survived an attack on her life, she is struggling to stay in control and when a patient's chance remark rings an alarm bell, she finds herself chasing down a path that seems to lead to a serial killer who has long escaped detection. Or is it merely a symptom of her own increasingly fragile mind? Because, as Frieda knows, every step closer to a killer is one more step into a darkness from which there may be no return...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,804,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible