The Disappearing Alphabet by Richard Wilbur

The Disappearing Alphabet

by Richard Wilbur

Other authors: David Diaz (Illustrator)

2431371,768 (4)1

A cute poetry book about the world if there was no alphabet. It was a cute read aloud for young children. Some of the rhymes seemed a little forced. ( )
  csheldon | Dec 11, 2018 |
The author goes through what would happen if the letters of the alphabet started disappearing.
  Jennaclubb | Sep 13, 2016 |
Ok, I have to admit, as some of you know, I have trouble with nonsense. Sometimes I like it, and I always try to, but it often fails with me. So, if you like this book you can just blame my bad attitude & lack of sense of humor.

However, I don't actually believe this is nonsense - it's worse than that; it's 'anti-sense.' It's stupid. The verses don't signify; language doesn't work the way the author describes, nothing tickles nor resonates. I honestly don't think it's just me.

However, the pictures are very cool. Bright, clear, artsy but not fartsy. I'll look for more by Diaz. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This was a very clever way to make a poetry book as well. I think kids would adore it and it would go really well with a lesson about letters and their importance for words. The rhyming in it would make it fun. ( )
  ravjohns | Sep 19, 2013 |
This is a cute way to teach the importance of every letter to kids. depending on the child, it might serve better as a read-aloud because of all the unusual and sometimes misspelled words. The poetic couplets are witty and clever. "X" probably has the best quip: "The letter X will never disappear. The more you cross it out, the more it's here." Illustrations are uniquely different, perhaps best described as a cross between modern and folk art with a hint of surrealism. Expect to chuckle at the poem, and stare for a little while at the illustrations. ( )
  Laene | Apr 20, 2013 |

Richard Wilburprimary authorall editionscalculated
Diaz, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015216362X, Paperback)

Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Richard Wilbur turns his sharp eye to the noble alphabet and imagines what life would be like without these twenty-six little--but powerful--letters. Packed with humor and subtle wit, the verse in this captivating picture book is splendidly matched by Caldecott Medal winner David Diaz’s hilariously clever illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

A collection of twenty-six short poems pondering what the world would be like if any letters of the alphabet should disappear.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,357,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible