The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order (1996)

by Samuel P. Huntington

In the summer of 1993 Foreign Affairs published an article entitled "The Clash of Civilizations?" by Samuel Huntington. No article, according to the editors of that distinguished journal, has generated more discussion since George Kennan's "X" article on containment in the 1940s. Now, Mr. Huntington expands on his article, explores further the issues he raised then, and develops many new penetrating and controversial analyses. In the article, he posed the question whether conflicts between civilizations would dominate the future of world politics. In the book, he gives his answer, showing not only how clashes between civilizations are the greatest threat to world peace but also how an international order based on civilizations is the best safeguard against war.… (more)

English (26)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (34)
This would be an amazingly observant book today except this was written 20 years ago making it so prescient it's absolutely terrifying. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
Më 1993 revista me emër "Foreign Affairs" botoi një artikull me titullin: "Përplasja e qytetërimeve" të profesorit të Harvardit Samuel Huntington. Sipas redaktorëve të revistës artikulli ngjalli një diskutim më të madh se gjithçka tjetër e botuar që nga koha e Luftës së Dytë Botërore.

Në atë artikull Huntingtoni shtronte pyetjen nëse në të ardhmen mbi politikën botërore do të mbizotëronin konfliktet midis qytetërimeve. Në këtë libër, ai e jep përgjigjen duke treguar jo vetëm sesi përplasjet ndërmjet qytetërimeve përbëjnë kërcënimin më të madh për paqen në botë, por edhe sesi garancia më e mirë për paqen në botë është një rend ndërkombëtar i mbështetur mbi qytetërimet.

Që nga 11 shtatori kjo tezë ka dalë edhe më e mprehtë dhe me fuqi parashikuese. Përplasja e qytetërimeve dhe ribërja e rendit botëror tashmë pranohet si një studim klasik për marrëdhëniet ndërkombëtare në një botë që po bëhet gjithnjë e më e pasigurtë.
  BibliotekaFeniks | Jul 24, 2020 |
Realized that I was a dove instead of a hawk and singlehandedly prompted me to change my college major. ( )
2 vote | nfulks32 | Jul 17, 2020 |
I'm aware of just how influential this book has been ever since it was published and I'm also aware of the author's tremendous reputation, but I've never been able to come to a decisive opinion on this book. I've always felt conflicted. I didn't like it very much, didn't agree with much, but in retrospect, I think I didn't like it because I DID agree with a great deal, but simply didn't want to admit it. I think Huntington had a better grasp on the coming future than his equally famous colleague, Francis Fukuyama, ever did. Sadly. Recommended as a kind of gruesome look into the future which was all too relevant. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 15, 2020 |
This book made me think. It is interesting that the major part of the text was written in 1996, and seems to be coming to fruition in the last decade (from 2010 and forward based on when I read the book). My big takeaway is the need abolish religions, as they seem to be a root cause of conflict. ( )
  dpevers | Sep 5, 2019 |

Samuel P. Huntingtonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dišlers, GuntisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fliessbach, HolgerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

On January 3, 1992, a meeting of Russian and American scholars took place in the auditorium of a government building in Moscow.
Again and again both Westerners and non-Westerners point to individualism as the central distinguishing mark of the West.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,405,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible