The Property by Rutu Modan

The Property (2013)

by Rutu Modan

English (12)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (15)
I loved this book! Only improvement would be queer rep. Fantastic art and colors. Delightful intriguing story. Deft translation. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
A relatively fast read, but a good one that weaves secrets, the Shoah, and the delicate strands between generations together in a poignant, often very funny way. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
Didn't reveal that much depth about the poles and Jews and their history as I expected but the script is really good ( )
  aborham | Nov 26, 2017 |
A grandmother and granddaughter from Israel visit Poland to reclaim property lost during the Holocaust, and both find their lives unexpectedly changed financially and personally. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
I love how the genre of graphic novels has developed over recent years. This graphic novel is one good example. The story is of Regina Segal, an elderly Israeli Jewish woman who returns to Warsaw, Poland, many years after World War II in order to reclaim family property. She brings her granddaughter Mica with her. Ruth is somewhat secretive about what she hopes to accomplish by this trip, and Mica does some snooping in order to figure out why her grandmother, once in Poland, is no longer adamant about claiming her rightful inheritance.

This book is very well done. The characters are truly interesting...from Regina Segal, the determined grandmother, to Thomasz, the comic book artist who is a Jewish ghetto tour guide by day, to Avram Yagodnik, the heavyset "nudnik" who follows Micah in Warsaw for his girlfriend's gain.

I'll admit that I had to read this book twice to get what I wanted out of it. My first read-through was for its content. The story seemed a bit complicated, and I wanted to be able to follow it. The second read-through was purely for pleasure. In this second reading, I paid more attention to the drawings and discovered interesting background characters and setting...both of the present and of the past.

I loved that the book was done in colors rather than in black and white. They added much to the story...from the bright blue of the Vistula River to the muted rose tones of the wallpaper in "the property" to the grayish tones of Regina Segal's memories.

This is a terrific book and one that the reader should take the time in reading so that its special details are not missed. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jan 21, 2015 |

Modan, Rutuprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cohen, JessicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"With family, you don't have to tell the whole truth and it's not considered lying."
- Michaela Modan
To Michali
Ben-Gurion Airport, end of October, 200X.

TV producer Mica Segal accompanies her grandmother, Regina, on the old lady's first return to Warsaw since she fled, pregnant by a gentile with Mica's late father, to Palestine in 1939. On the plane, the son of a friend of Regina's ebulliently accosts the women and thereafter seems to show up wherever they go, even separately. Mica shakes him by dodging into a caf', where she meets a charming Pole who leads Jewish history tours. Not by chance, Regina comes on her own to the same caf' to meet an old man who lives in the buildingyes, Mica's grandfather. While the purpose of the trip is to assert Regina's title to a building her parents had owned, what develops is an intrafamilial tiff, an ultimately fulfilling reunion, and the possible start of a romance.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible