My Basmati Bat Mitzvah by Paula J. Freedman

My Basmati Bat Mitzvah

by Paula J. Freedman

Tara Feinstein, proud of both her East Indian and Jewish heritage, questions what it means to have a bat mitzvah and deals with her own doubts about her faith.

As Tara prepares for her bat mitzvah, she tries to find balance in recognizing her mixed heritage (Asian Indian and Jewish) while also dealing with typical teenage drama in her personal life. Tara's teen voice and attitude are authentically drawn and will appeal to teen readers, but resonate particularly with readers of mixed, Indian or Jewish background. This put me in mind of Judy Blume's works. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
(61) I have an elementary school library colleague who bemoans the fact that there are almost no books about suburban East Asian kids. Now there is. As our heroine Tara -- raised on both Indian food and Jewish culture by her multiethnic parents -- faces her bat mitzvah, she has to decide if she will embrace her Jewish identity. And can she do so while still holding onto her Indian traditions? (Can one serve samosas at a bat mitzvah party?) And what about her best buddy Ben-O, who is acting so weird, putting gel in his hair? And Ryan? What's HE doing in robotics club, and why does Ben-O get so annoyed when he's around? While some challenges get solved a bit too easily in this book for adult tastes, it's spot-on for middle grade girls looking for characters who know themselves and engage it a bit of chase romance. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote activelearning | Jul 30, 2013 |
My Basmati Bat Mitzvah by Paula J. Freedman is a delightful coming-of-age story of Tara Feinstein. Tara seems to do everything in twos. She has two best friends, two boys interested in her, and two cultural traditions in her family. While Tara studies for her bat mitzvah and wonders if she needs to believe in God, she also tries to figure out how to bring together her East Indian and Jewish American heritages. Tara is such a great character and so well written that readers can’t wait to see what happens next. I highly recommend My Basmati Bat Mitzvah and hope some television producer is smart enough to turn this book into a series. ( )
1 vote JoStARs | Jul 7, 2013 |
The Coleman Family 2013-5774
When Ben-o came over on Saturday for movie night, my dad answered the door wearing gray silk pajama bottoms and his Math Teachers Play by the Numbers T-shirt, an unit pipe clenched between his teeth.
The secret Indian snack food ingredient is mango powder, which is Hindi for "that which makes everything taste delicious."

Paula J. Freedman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,947,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible