HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

HEX (2013)

by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

English (29)  Dutch (3)  All languages (32)
Partenza splendida finita poi miseramente in un'accozzaglia imbarazzante di eventi senza logica e risposta. .....da evitare! ( )
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
I think I have a very unpopular opinion of this book. I see a lot of "Love this book", "So good", "Amazing", etc reviews of this book. I, however, did not find this book to be any of those things. With the reviews of this book being scary and creepy and one of the best new writers I was expecting to be blown away but that's just not the case. Unfortunately I think it was the translation of the book from Dutch to English. There were so many strange words used that didn't make sense or the wrong tense of words used that it really distracted from the story.

The first 100 pages seemed super goofy. I thought it was the author trying to be humorous and failing but I think it was the translation. The book did start to get eerie and creepy and scary but then it got a little too gory and messed up for my personal taste. I like psychological thriller horror more so than the gory disgusting kids and animals dying type horror.

However I did like the social commentary of this book. I think if the translation had been better, or the writing was better, this book could have been utterly fantastic. I feel like this book is more about how we behave as a group, as a community. How the digital world has changed how we can behave and how what we think behind the anonymity of our computers and being part of a mob is what is wrong with our society. That we think we are in the right because we are in the majority or that we can do and say what we want cause no one sees the individuals but the group. When we feel wronged we wrong back and that isn't how we as a community should behave.

"One evil spawned another, greater evil, and ultimately everything could be traced back to Black Spring." ( )
  MinDea | Oct 30, 2018 |
About halfway into this book I started to get a very bad feeling about it. Up until then I'd been enjoying the story for the most part...the characters were a bit one-dimensional but unfortunately that seems to happen in a lot of horror novels. And then as I kept reading the very bad feeling grew much, much worse.

The last third of this book was perhaps the worst thing I've read in...a very long time. When I finished, I was viscerally disgusted. Now for some people that might be fine but I grew up on Stephen King and his books--no matter how dark they became--still managed to hold onto a kernel of hope. There was nuance in King's work that saved it from the tired, boring Humans Are The Real Monsters trope. The ending of this book was like the ending of "Pet Sematary" but like a hundred thousand times worse. I feel like good horror doesn't need to shock you just for hell of it and the "message" here was so ham-fisted, so simplistic and utterly without nuance that the grossness at the end was just completely gratuitous.

Ugh I feel like I need to cleanse my brain after this book. ( )
  ElleGato | Sep 24, 2018 |
Honestly there's not much I can say about this that won't be spoilers, but this was definitely a good read. Heuvelt took little pieces of different historic and literary events as inspiration and wove them into a wonderful new story that felt very unique. ( )
  Erica_Coomer | Jul 13, 2018 |
Voor Rod Downey,
die mij vormde als mens en schrijver

en voor Vincent Docherty,
die deuren opende en me stimuleerde wanneer het tegenzat.
Steven Grant rounded the corner of the parking lot behind Black Spring Market & Deli just in time to see Katherine van Wyler get run over by an antique Dutch barrel organ.

"Welcome to Black Spring, the seemingly picturesque Hudson Valley town haunted by the Black Rock Witch, a seventeenth-century woman whose eyes and mouth are sewn shut. Muzzled, she walks the streets and enters homes at will. She stands next to children's beds for nights on end. Everybody knows that her eyes may never be opened or the consequences will be too terrible to bear. The elders of Black Spring have virtually quarantined the town by using high-tech surveillance to prevent their curse from spreading. Frustrated by being kept in lockdown, the town's teenagers, decide to break their strict regulations and go viral with the haunting. But, in so doing, they send the town spiraling into dark, medieval practices of the distant past."--Jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,222,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible