Things I Didn't Know: A Memoir

by Robert Hughes

Opening with a devastating account of the horrific car accident in Western Australia several years ago that almost took his life and left him physically shattered, Things I didn't know is a magnificent memoir of a life passionately lived and minutely examined. Taking us through his family history, his years at a Catholic boys boarding school and at Sydney University to his new life in Italy and London in the 60s and 70s, Robert Hughes uses his extraordinary life to examine the nature of art, war, sex, writing, religion, and life itself.… (more)

Wonderful writing, compelling and lucid details as usual from Hughes. He never has the most penetrating insights nor has he lived the most admirable existence, but he presents them in an extraordinary way. ( )
  scottapeshot | Mar 30, 2013 |
Robert Hughes is one of Australia's great expatriate curmudgeons, and for all his flaws he is a brilliant man and a compelling writer. This autobiography of Hughes' early life starts, oddly, with a chapter about his recent car accident in WA. He tells his side of that big media story as a tall-poppy assassination. I'm inclined to believe a good bit of it, as he doesn't whitewash his own foolishness in other areas.

But then it's back to the beginning of his life. There's family history, and plenty of lengthy digressions on history and culture and religion and the general state of the media and the nation.

Occasionally he shows how much he's lost touch with modern Australia, but mostly he's entertaining and challenging. It's good to be reminded of the narrowness of 1950s Australian culture - not at all the sentimental dream puffed up by the recent Liberal party. (And then it's extra odd that Hughes is an intimate of Malcolm Turnbull.) ( )
1 vote cajela | Jan 16, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,296,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible