Burning Girls by Veronica Schanoes

Burning Girls

by Veronica Schanoes

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (Euryale)
    Euryale: Similar historical setting, different bit of Jewish folklore.

Deborah é uma rapariga judia que aprende as artes da bruxaria com a avó e vê-se obrigada a proteger a família, não só recorrendo às artes mágicas como também fugindo para a América.

Em 48 páginas temos todo um retrato da perseguição dos judeus na Polónia pelos Cossacos, no início do século, as crenças e características específicas judaicas (como por exemplo, a crença que nenhum objecto para o bebé deve entrar em casa antes de nascer) assim como as condições laborais no início do século nos EUA e o início do movimento sufragista.

Há todo um conjunto de calão e simbologia ligada à religião judaica a qual não entendo mas, todo o ambiente e escrita lembrou-me o realismo mágico.

O melhor: a escrita e o facto de retratar tão bem o universo feminino.
O pior: de ser apenas um conto e não um livro inteiro. ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
I haven't read a novella in a long time but this one seemed very interesting so I decided to leave off of my longer novels in lieu for this novella.

When I first read this premise, I thought it would be more fantasy based but this story ended up being so much more. This was such a refreshing and poignant novella and I really loved every minute of it. The main character is cheeky and practical and just such a unique and amazing protagonist, who really makes you connect with her struggles. This story portrays the struggle of a Jewish family as they try to find peace from persecution, only to discover horror in their new home. I can't say more without spoiling this story but I really think this novella is one that everyone should read so please do yourself a favour and check out this amazing story!

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
Every now and then, in the midst of all the dross, you read something that moves you. [a:Veronica Schanoes|4022202|Veronica Schanoes|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1405876221p2/4022202.jpg]'s [b:Burning Girls|17910198|Burning Girls|Veronica Schanoes|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1368362956s/17910198.jpg|25095679] is just one such story.

Set in the late 19th century, Burning Girls is about Deborah, the daughter of Polish Jews in the years after Cossacks stopped burning villages but while the threat of pogroms against Jews was still very real. While her sister is raised to follow her mother as a seamstress, Deborah is trained by her grandmother to be a witch. She uses a white magic that draws on arcane and mythical Kabbalah-like Jewish writings and beliefs. As her power grows, she learns of a demon stalking their little family. Then, one day, the long feared pogroms come for them, and they set their sights on America, to start over, to escape the violence, and to escape the demon.

Part of what I enjoyed about this fantasy (a period fantasy, maybe?) was how it felt authentic, while at the same time avoiding cliches. Sure, there's a bit of handwaivium going on, but the magic is not without a cost. Based on language and the calling on power from certain angels and names of God, Deborah uses the magic to help women, and it lends a certain sense of sympathetic feminism to it.

And yet, it's Schanoes use of pathos, rather than magic, that makes the story worth the read. They struggle, grow, hurt, and are hurt. They grow together and apart, are tossed and turned in the trends and politics of the day. With each obstacle overcome, sympathy builds until a final denouement that both surprises and moves.

Burning Girls was nominated for the 2013 Nebula in the novella category, and while it didn't win, it was a worthy nominee. ( )
  publiusdb | May 23, 2016 |

publiusdb | Oct 20, 2014 |
This is an interesting and well-written short story - it'll only take an hour or less to read at one sitting. I don't want to give any of the story away, but I loved the Jewish mysticism mixed into it - which turned out to be not what I expected. The ending is clever all right, and makes sense if you know much about US labor history - I just didn't see it coming. ( )
  J.Green | Aug 26, 2014 |

Veronica Schanoesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balbusso, AnnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, ElenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In America, they don't let you burn. My mother told me that.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,609,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible