Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan

Tower Lord (2014)

by Anthony Ryan

English (17)  Italian (1)  All languages (18)
Tower Lord is the second book in the Raven’s Shadow trilogy by Anthony Ryan. The first book sucked me in right away and held my attention to the end. I enjoyed this one quite a bit also, but it didn’t hold my attention quite as consistently.

Unlike the first book, which was told primarily from the point of view of a single character, this book is split up into four main POV’s, along with a framing story in a similar format as the first book. Three of those characters were in the first book (Vaelin, Princess Lyrna, and Frentis) and the fourth character was a brand new one (Reva). I really enjoyed the first two POV’s mentioned within my spoiler tags. The second was an especially great surprise in terms of how much I enjoyed those chapters. The other two POV’s had an interesting story and I liked the characters, but sometimes their chapters dragged for me. I also thought Reva's skill growth was a little too much for me to suspend my disbelief over.

Despite the occasional slower spots, I’m still enjoying the story. This book left more threads hanging at the end than the first book did, and I look forward to finding out what happens in the final book. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Jul 25, 2018 |
Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan is a strong follow up to his debut novel Blood Song. He changes things up in this edition as it is written in a multi POV style but this to me was very well done and did not detract from the story being told. You will find the continuing stories of both Vaelin al Sorna, Frentis and Lyrna (who was only a minor character) from Blood Song along with new character Reva in rotating chapters as they each follow their paths. Each section of the book also starts with an extended journal entry from Verniers. The book comes with lots of action, good character studies and a great edge of your seat ending that will have you eagerly awaiting the release of the next book in the series.

5 stars for a truly enjoyable read. You will want to read this one!!!
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
So, I did not like this one as well as the first book. I felt like there was a lot of unexplained in portions, nothing that was necessarily important to the plot, and I guess that it was realistic, in that Vaelin did not know the answers either, but it bugged me for some reason. And mostly there were so many different perspectives. I realize that epic fantasy is "epic" because it is expansive and encompasses many realms and people, but I really liked the focus of the first book better. The language was much coarser, to the point I found it distracting. I don't think everything should be sanitized or anything like that, but this got annoying.

Trigger warnings:
I would also warn that there is constant and pervasive reference to sexual violence as a means of torture and punishment. There is also references to child abuse and molestation that could be extremely difficult for some readers. ( )
  dbhart42 | Dec 21, 2017 |
The first book of the Raven Song trilogy, I compared Anthony Ryan's book to works by Patrick Rothfuss and Sabaa Tahir. This time around the Rothfussian and Tahirian elements are still there in book two, but have somewhat moved into the background. They have been replaced by similarities to the writing of RobertJordan in his "Wheel of Time" series nad to the writing of George R. R. Martin in his "Song of Ice and Fire" series. Witout spoiling anything, I will say that Jordanesque stylistic choices were made and Martinesque thematic choices were made.
I had issues with this book that I didn't in the first, namely it wasn't always clear how much time was transpiring or at what rate it was transpiring. There are a lot of moving parts in this story and you need to know what is happening when for it all to make sense. It mostly works. ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
Superb story, the character building grows considerably with the second book in the series, it has everything a good book needs. ( )
  Deryk_Allan | Dec 23, 2016 |
For my mother, Catherine, who believed long before I did
Ik ben opgevoed in weelde en heb niet de behoefte me daarvoor te verontschuldigen.

"In Blood Song, Anthony Ryan introduced readers to "a fascinating world of conflicting religions and the wars fought in the name of those faiths" (Library Journal). Now Ryan's epic tale continues as Vaelin Al Sorna discovers that there is no escape from the call of destiny -- "The blood-song rose with an unexpected tune, a warm hum mingling recognition with an impression of safety. He had a sense it was welcoming him home." Vaelin Al Sorna, warrior of the Sixth Order, called Darkblade, called Hope Killer. The greatest warrior of his day, and witness to the greatest defeat of his nation: King Janus's vision of a Greater Unified Realm drowned in the blood of brave men fighting for a cause Vaelin alone knows was forged from a lie. Sick at heart, he comes home, determined to kill no more. Named Tower Lord of the Northern Reaches by King Janus's grateful heir, he can perhaps find peace in a colder, more remote land far from the intrigues of a troubled Realm. But those gifted with the blood-song are never destined to live a quiet life. Many died in King Janus's wars, but many survived, and Vaelin is a target, not just for those seeking revenge but for those who know what he can do. The Faith has been sundered, and many have no doubt who their leader should be. The new King is weak, but his sister is strong. The blood-song is powerful, rich in warning and guidance in times of trouble, but is only a fraction of the power available to others who understand more of its mysteries. Something moves against the Realm, something that commands mighty forces, and Vaelin will find to his great regret that when faced with annihilation, even the most reluctant hand must eventually draw a sword. "-- "Vaelin Al Sorna, warrior of the Sixth Order, called Darkblade, called Hope Killer. The greatest warrior of his day, and witness to the greatest defeat of his nation: King Janus's vision of a Greater Unified Realm drowned in the blood of brave men fighting for a cause Vaelin alone knows was forged from a lie. Sick at heart, he comes home, determined to kill no more. Named Tower Lord of the Northern Reaches by King Janus's grateful heir, he can perhaps find peace in a colder, more remote land far from the intrigues of a troubled Realm. But those gifted with the blood-song are never destined to live a quiet life. Many died in King Janus's wars, but many survived, and Vaelin is a target, not just for those seeking revenge but for those who know what he can do. The Faith has been sundered, and many have no doubt who their leader should be. The new King is weak, but his sister is strong. The blood-song is powerful, rich in warning and guidance in times of trouble, but is only a fraction of the power available to others who understand more of its mysteries. Something moves against the Realm, something that commands mighty forces, and Vaelin will find to his great regret that when faced with annihilation, even the most reluctant hand must eventually draw a sword"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,862,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible