Skin Game by Jim Butcher

Skin Game

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (15)

English (102)  German (1)  All languages (103)
Harry starts to remind me of Star Trek Voyager. You know, the star ship that got shot to pieces in just about every episode and then magically repaired for the next episode. Quite frankly I am getting a bit tired of this. In this instalment he keeps coming, whacking bad guys left right and center, getting whacked himself…again and, of course, in the end he prevails. He is wounded in ways which would put any other man down for the foreseeable future, yet he keeps going. I know that he is a wizard and that this winter mantle stuff is supposed to let him ignore his wounds but come on. It is getting a bit over the top now. At least for this reader.

With that out of the way I also have to say that it is indeed a good book. Harry is set up by Mab in more ways than one. The entirety of the plot is of course not revealed until the very end of the book but the start is bad enough, for Harry at least. He is forced to help one of his worst enemies steal from, not only the greatest treasure hoard in the supernatural world but, the most secure “vault” in the underworld. To get there he first has to help said nefarious scumbag to break into one of the most secure vaults in the human world. The phrase “a really bad day” just got redefined…for the worse.

To help him he has a merry band of supernatural villains, not all of them being what they seem, and a few friends. The story is a roller coaster ride of adventure, action, treachery, deceit and revelations. I would say that there are more reversals, things not being what they look like and come backs of both characters and magical items in this book than in any of the other ones in the series (not that I have counted them though).

The characters are as likable, or dislikeable in case of the villains, as we have become accustomed to in The Dresden Files series and Harry himself, well Harry is his usual sharp tongued, cynical himself. As the book blurb states, we are introduced to Hades himself. I really do not want to spoil the plot but I actually liked this guy. Jim Butcher has a way of weaving in mythological characters from various religions into his stories that is quite enjoyable, at least as far as I am concerned.

Apart from my gripes about Harry being whacked over and over again I quite liked this book. It could have been a 10 out of 10 if it was not for the “Harry whacking” part but now it has to contend itself with an 9 out of 10 rating.
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
This series continues to get better and better. I immerse myself so fully into when I'm listening to the audiobook, that it can be hard to come back to reality. It's so in depth and wonderful and their is no other series that has such wonderful character growth. In this book, Harry is ordered by Queen Mab to help his archenemy, Nicodemus, on a secret mission to rob Hades safe. Backed into a corner and with no way out his must think five steps of his enemies (now co-workers) and pull of the biggest job of his career. He enlists the help of his good friend (and hopefully soon lover!) Karen to help and they have to lean on each other now more than ever. Wonderfully written and plotted, this book was amazing from start to finish. I can't wait for the next book in the series! ( )
  ecataldi | May 21, 2019 |
I love the Dresden books and this one doesn't disappoint but I do think there are too many battles and he gets hurt all the time. I loved Murphy and Butters in this books. ( )
  bm2ng | Apr 9, 2019 |
I read Butcher's first book when it came out and the next 5 books. They are fun but it after awhile, all the unfairness and bad stuff that gets piled up on him gets a little old and I ended up not keeping up with the series. I read this particular book because it was a Hugo nomination for best novel. Skin Games is well written with plenty of action and interesting characters. However, once again I got a little bored by too much action. I knew Harry would work things out and did not spend much time thinking about what would happen to him or the story. On the other hand, I am also reading the Goblin Emperor, another Hugo nomination. So maybe I know where the plot is going but I **do** think about the main character Maia when I am away from the book. ( )
  KateSavage | Mar 29, 2019 |
I don't know how many times I've read all of the published Dresden Files so far. I don't know how many times I've read Skin Game since it came out. It's just that I love this series so much and about every character in it. I love the short stories, I love the comic books, and the audiobooks are so good that 'love' seems not enough to express my feelings.

James Marsters is such a great narrator. He could read the phonebook to me and make it the most exciting book on the planet. Just when you think you can't make Skin Game any better he comes along and proves you wrong.

That being said I started 2017 (which is just 5 days old at this point) by listening to Skin Game all over again. And I can still say that my 5 stars stand. ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheckels, JenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comCover imagessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lori, Julie, and Mom. You guys really came through for me. Thank you.
There was a ticking time bomb inside my head and the one person I trusted to go in and get it out hadn't shown up or spoken to me for more than a year.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . . . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden must help a hated enemy, Nicodemus Archleone, break into a high security vault to steal something belonging to the Lord of the Underworld.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,735,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible