The Infinite Sea (2014)

by Rick Yancey

Series: The Fifth Wave (2)

"Cassie Sullivan and her companions lived through the Others' four waves of destruction. Now, with the human race nearly exterminated and the 5th Wave rolling across the landscape, they face a choice: brace for winter and hope for Evan Walker's return, or set out in search of other survivors before the enemy closes in"--… (more)

English (95)  German (1)  All languages (96)
I went into reading The Infinite Sea thinking it would be as action packed as The 5th Wave. I think this is where my 3 stars has come from compared to the 5 stars that I gave The 5th Wave.

I still loved the characters and seeing specific characters (like Ringer) evolve and hear about why they act they way they do, and how they became to be the person they are after the first four waves. I also like where the story line is going overall for the group of characters who are trying to survive the 5th wave. So what was my beef with The Infinite Sea? Well, let me tell ya.

The Infinite Sea picks up the story where The 5th Wave leaves off, and I think I would have preferred it if the story continued to be told through the same characters' points of view as The 5th Wave included. I really enjoyed Cassie, Evan, Ben (Zombie), and Sam's points of view. This time around, we are given four or five different points of view, but only two of them are carried over from the previous book. While I understand why certain parts were told through specific character's pov (in order for us to understand how events happened as some could easily be thought to have been performed by other characters), I didn't really feel as invested in the characters whose pov's the story was told through because Rick Yancey seemed to skim over these characters and their roles and lives in The 5th Wave. Why would I suddenly feel attached to a character that I was basically pushed into not caring about in the first book? Then, (spoiler alert) I'm given tons of back story about one said character who ends up dying 20 pages later anyway. I understand why it was told through the character's pov, but still... really?

Another problem I had with this book compared to The 5th Wave was the lack of action. Most of the action in The Infinite Sea was pushed into the very beginning of the book and the very end. We spend so much time in the head of the character Ringer that this book started to feel like a psychological book versus a science fiction/action book. But Ringer isn't the only character whose mind we find ourselves in. Between Cassie, Evan, and a few others, this book felt like it took me longer to read than the week that it did. The 5th Wave has so much more action, intrigue, and excitement that The Infinite Sea felt like a bit of a let down. I still plan to read the final installment in The 5th Wave trilogy because I want to know what will happen to all the characters, but I feel I can only give The Infinite Sea 3 solid stars. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Did anything even really happen in this book? Seriously, this book could easily have been condensed into 70 pages or so, that's how little happens.

It's full of metaphors and teasing so it reads like a pretentious arty novel that's trying way too hard. There is some good action parts, but I felt these were ruined by the long passages of descriptive musings from various characters. Nothing that happened seemed real either because we're continually messed about with what's really going on without getting many answers. ( )
  zacchaeus | Dec 26, 2020 |
Not as great as first one but still entertaining.

Review went missing. How does save not working? ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
4.5 stars ( )
  Jennifer7089 | Sep 29, 2020 |
I liked this book,I think I might have liked it more than the first.There is more character backstory,which for me makes for better development.
A lot of the story seemed to be centered around a character named Ringer,who is my new favorite person.
It was a well written story that picks up right where the first book left off.
I think what I liked best is the fact that"some"people died (I'll not divulge who). ( )
  chalton | Jul 14, 2020 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strole, PhoebeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yannette, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep;  the more I give to thee,
The more I have;  for both are infinite.
--William Shakespeare
For Sandy, guardian of the infinite.
There would be no harvest. The spring rains woke the dormant tillers, and bright green shoots sprang from the moist earth and rose like sleepers stretching after a long nap.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,020,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible