The Infinite Sea (2014)

by Rick Yancey

Series: The Fifth Wave (2)

"Cassie Sullivan and her companions lived through the Others' four waves of destruction. Now, with the human race nearly exterminated and the 5th Wave rolling across the landscape, they face a choice: brace for winter and hope for Evan Walker's return, or set out in search of other survivors before the enemy closes in"--… (more)

English (98)  German (1)  All languages (99)
Completely completely in awe of Rick Yancey's ability to create amazing characters and plotting that leaves me unable to put his books down for a second. This picked up right where The Fifth Wave left off, and carried our characters for a nail-biting ride. It's especially effective the way Yancey doesn't necessarily always deal in surprises... it's not that a bad guy jumps out of the closet on every page. Rather, that he reveals the insidious next threat long before it gets to our favorite characters, and we're left in suspense as Cassie, Ben and the gang try or fail to figure out the threat.

Loved the continued romance between Cassie and Evan. Wished we could have gotten more of them. The Ringer/Razor storyline was especially effective and for me, even better than Ringer/Ben. Can't want to see what happens next. 5/5 stars.

Please excuse typos. Entered on screen reader. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
So, what did I think of The Infinite Sea?

I want to leave it at that, but Cannonball Read has some stupid word minimum for reviews.

Goddamn it. Anyway, a friend saw I was reading this and asked how I liked it. I said, “I’m about 2/3 of the way through and so far, nothing has happened to justify its existence.â€ù She said, “High praise indeed.â€ù But it’s true. The Infinite Sea fails to do what any competent sequel does, i.e. expand the universe and raise the stakes. Off the top of my head, here are some of the most egregious moments:

1) The title is meaningless. In The 5th Wave, “the infinite seaâ€ù was a crowd of child soldiers. In this book, it refers variably to snow, tears, unconsciousness, and blood. In the Harry Potter books, there were not multiple Sorcerer’s Stones scattered about willy-nilly. If you want to ascribe some importance to your book’s title, do not waste it on describing a field of wheat. (Which, by the way, happens in the prologue.)

2) Important characters like Ben and Sam have been reduced to cardboard cutouts in favor of Cassie, who is now the equivalent of nails on chalkboard. While I appreciated her will to survive and her morbid sense of humor in the first book, now she’s judgmental, self-righteous, catty, and possessive. Evan hasn’t changed much, which is to say he still has his annoying habits of speaking in enigmas and passing out whenever he’s asked a pressing question. Cassie and Evan’s infatuation with each other, which I was already puzzled by, is even more intense now. These two should just cake on some eyeliner and scribble emo song lyrics on each other’s skinny jeans.

3) Ooh, speaking of the lovebirdsâ€_ I was wrong. There is no love triangle in this book. There is a fucking love hexagon.

4) A minor character dies in a way that just leaves me with this lasting bad taste in my mouth. To be clear, I’m not talking about the usual grief or shock. At least when J. K. Rowling killed off a character, she had some purpose behind it. This book has one of the most unconscionable, horrifying character deaths I have ever seen. The way this character was treated like a plot point throughout the book, and then the way their murder is framed as an act of loveâ€_ No. Just, no. I can’t.

5) There is no new information as to why the aliens have taken over Earth and why they are using the waves. Their approach certainly raises doubts about their capacity for logic. Why do beings without physical forms need to occupy a planet? Why watch humans evolve over thousands of years when you can stamp them out right at the beginning? These questions are asked but are never answered, other than humans suggesting, well, maybe they just like to fuck with us. And you cannot propel your plot just by withholding information from your reader. It is frustrating beyond belief. I guess there is one revelation that could be considered a plot twist, if you stretch it, but to me it was just one more instance of the aliens’ sadistic mindfuckery.

So, I should end this rage-y review by saying something nice, namely what prevents me from rating this fucker one star. Number one, Poundcake. His backstory and the reason he never talks broke my heart. Number two, Ringer. She was the real badass of The 5th Wave and Rick Yancey should just hand over the rest of the series to her. She actually goes and gets shit done. Good for you book, I don’t entirely regret reading you!

doryfish | Jan 29, 2022 |
"Self-centered, stubborn, sentimental, childish, vain. I am humanity. Cynical, naïve, kind, cruel, soft as down, hard as tungsten steel. I am humanity."

This book hurt my feelings.

And I thanked it. ( )
  thinktink93 | Jan 20, 2022 |
También en: El Extraño Gato del Cuento

Reseña Primer Libro "La Quinta Ola"

Reseña sin ningún tipo de spoiler

Una de las cosas que no hago últimamente es leer una saga seguida, empiezo el primer libro y por más que me guste mucho el siguiente demora en llegar a mis listas de lectura, no importa a veces que el libro me haya encantado o que toda la serie ya esté publicada, puedo aplazar la lectura. Raro, lo sé. Sólo que yo tengo una debilidad: los desastres y los problemas. Y ¿qué más tiene problemas, desastres y angustia que una invasión alienígena? Lo maravilla de los ebooks es que no tengo que esperar hasta que el libro llegue (si es que llega) a mi país o la editorial se apure en traducirlo, por lo que inmediatamente después de terminar The 5th Wave, devoraba The Infinite Sea.

Esta segunda parte es mucho más delgada que La Quinta Ola, me sorprendió y decepcionó un poco porque quería pasar al menos dos días en compañía de Cassie y todos los demás, y al final solo pude pasar unas pocas horas con ellos. Claro, eso no quiere decir que no hayan valido completamente la pena. No quiero revelar nada a los que no leyeron el primer libro, así que si no leyeron el primer libro, al menos lean mi reseña de The 5th Wave, y luego regresen. ¿Ya está?

En la reseña del libro anterior dije que había algo que no me convenció del todo en la historia ¿Por qué los aliens no atacan y acaban con todos los humanos de una vez? ¿Es solo crueldad? Aunque mi duda no está del todo resuelta, hay una revelación en El Mar Infinito que no sé qué tan cruel es o qué tan bueno desde algún punto de vista, supongo que desde el más romántico (y no me refiero al romántico de cursi, sino al de idealismo). Solo diré que todas esas objeciones que tuve con la trama bélica del primer libro fueron apaciguadas en esta secuela.

Definición: Histérico

Una ya está acostumbrada a que las distopías acaben con nuestros nervios, es como un requisito si quieres ser una buena distopía. Yo terminé riéndome con The Infinite Sea, no porque sea malo, le puse 4 de 5 estrellas, sino porque era eso o ponerme a llorar. ¿CÓMO ES POSIBLE RANCEY? ¿CÓMO? ¿DESPUÉS DE TODO? ¿CÓMO TE ATREVES A REVIVIR UNA DE LAS SENSACIONES MÁS CRUELES QUE ME DEJÓ OTRO FAMOSO LIBRO DISTÓPICO PERO NO MENCIONARÉ PORQUE NO QUIERO QUE CREAN QUE LOS COMPARÓ? ¿EH?

Si han visto algún programa de asesinos seriales (Criminal Minds ♥), mencionan que los asesinos seriales (algunos) tienden a entrar a la casa de su próxima víctima y hacerles notar su presencia, no lastimarlos en ese momento, sino sólo quitarles la sensación de seguridad; porque si no puedes sentirte completamente seguro en tu casa ¿dónde más? Te preguntarás a que viene todo esto, te diré que el señor Rick Yancey destruyó mi sensación de seguridad. Varias veces.

Yo creía que ya sabía una cosa
Yancey: ¡PUM, NO!
Ya están salvo
Yancey: ¡PUM, YA QUISIERAS!
Después de todo, todo salió bien
Yancey: ¡PUM, JAJAJA SONSA!

No es justo, porque ni en los malos se puede confiar ya.

Siempre me encantará leer a Cassie

El escritor repite su fórmula de cambiar de perspectiva, solo que esta vez usa a otros personajes y el maldito lo hace tan cruelmente. Lo bueno es que seguimos teniendo como una de las voces principales a Cassiopea, una de las voces más ligeras y entretenidas de todas las distopías que leí hasta ahora ¿No sé si te has dado cuenta que los narradores de distopías son bien densos y estresados? Sea hombre o mujer pero Cassie no, por eso me gusta mucho leerla porque al menos para mí se me hace muy relajada.

Ahora este Gato está desesperada por el tercer libro, que solo sé se publica en 2015 y quieren que esperé. Estoy segura que Rick Yancey está riendo en su casa rascándose la panza.

Twitter || Blog || Pinterest || Tumblr || Instagram
  Ella_Zegarra | Jan 18, 2022 |
Let me start off by saying that I thought that [b:The 5th Wave|16101128|The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)|Rick Yancey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1359853842s/16101128.jpg|19187812] was amazing, and I was really looking forward to this one. This book started off promising, and then it hit a really long dry part. So long and dry, actually, that I was about to give up on it. There's really only so much teen/alien angst that I can tolerate. But at about the 75% mark the book shifted perspective back to the character from the more-exciting beginning and it got MOSTLY good again. Still a little bit of teen angst, but definitely toned down a bit from the dry part.

One small thing that really irritated me - the title was repeated by nearly every character at some point, and almost always about a different thing. After about the third time, it got really annoying and seemed like just a device by the author. The interesting thing is that I looked in the original book for the phrase Infinite Sea and the ONLY thing it referred to (Cassie refers to the young children captured as an infinite sea of faces would've been a perfect SOLO use in this book. A nice, neat tie between the two. But by the end of the book, it was over-used to the point that I cringed everytime I heard it.

Note on the audiobook version - as with the first, there were 2 readers; one for the boys' perspectives, and one for the girls'. I did not catch the names if they were the same as in the first book, but they both did a fine job. As with the first book, it was helpful that there were different readers since from the text of the book was not clear when the perspectives changed. It was slightly clearer this time when one girl's perspective changed to another girl's. I don't recall if there was a boy-to-boy perspective change. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strole, PhoebeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yannette, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep;  the more I give to thee,
The more I have;  for both are infinite.
--William Shakespeare
For Sandy, guardian of the infinite.
There would be no harvest. The spring rains woke the dormant tillers, and bright green shoots sprang from the moist earth and rose like sleepers stretching after a long nap.

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,091,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible