dismiss

The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey

The Infinite Sea (2014)

by Rick Yancey

Series: The Fifth Wave (2)

"Cassie Sullivan and her companions lived through the Others' four waves of destruction. Now, with the human race nearly exterminated and the 5th Wave rolling across the landscape, they face a choice: brace for winter and hope for Evan Walker's return, or set out in search of other survivors before the enemy closes in"--… (more)

English (92)  German (1)  All languages (93)
Really mixed on how I feel about this book. I suppose it was interesting, but nothing happened. Seriously. From the start of the book to the end, the overall series progressed very little."

Actually, the more I think about it, the more frustrated with this book I get. It's actually already gone down a star from me just thinking about this review.

The payoff at the end better be a really, REALLY good stunner. The book was a complete yawner.
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Big fan of the fifth wave. Obviously have to see the series out.
This book just seemed so slow. Second half was better. ( )
  hipney | May 26, 2020 |
Terrific follow up to The 5th Wave.
Too often the second part of a trilogy is weak and acts as nothing more than a filler. That thankfully isn't the case here.
In The Infinite Sea we see less of Cassie/Evan and more of Ringer which was perfectly fine with me. Ringer is an interesting character and what she goes through/learns when she's back in Vosch's clutches, well it kind of changes everything.
I love Yancey's writing. The way he switches POV's certainly manages to keep you on the edge of your seat.
May needs to hurry up because I need to read the final installment of the series NOW. ( )
  maebri | Mar 10, 2020 |
This is a continuation of “The 5th Wave”. The human population has mostly been wiped out by an alien invasion. Some young people are left and a small group of them are trying to survive.

Ok, sadly, it’s hard to come up with a good synopsis. It wasn’t long ago I read the first book, but it was long enough that a recap would have been nice, but I didn’t get one (I don’t think; this time, I listened to the audio, so lost focus for a good portion of it). This was also harder to “get into” because many of the characters go by two names, so that didn’t help me remember things from the first one (I particularly forgot that “Zombie” = “Ben” for a good portion of this one).

I’m still rating it ok for the parts I paid attention to. I think I will continue with the third book, as I still want to know what’s going on (and I will admit that there was an interesting storyline happening at the end of this one). I will just have to remember to NOT listen to the audio. Oh, I also missed until 3/4 of the way through, that the female narrator wasn’t just narrating from Cassie’s POV, but also from Ringer’s. So, I’m not sure how much of Ringer’s story I heard (or, maybe, didn’t hear!), thinking I was listening to Cassie. Sigh. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 8, 2020 |
Like the first book, my expectations were rather low for this series, yet once again I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I did find the introduction of new character perspectives a little disorienting to begin with - especially because it was the first part - but I came to like reading from Ringer's point of view.

Whilst I don't feel it was as good as the first, I still enjoyed reading it and managed to finish it in 2 weeks (which is fast for me haha).

I enjoyed the banter between Cassie and Ben, I really like Evan, though working out who he truly is, is an enjoyable mystery I hope is solved in book three. I also enjoyed the introduction of Razor/Alex, though his actions towards the end definitely took me by surprise, that's for sure.

I'm not sure how I feel about the revelation of the aliens, but that could be more due to the fact I'm not sure I fully understand.

So far, an enjoyable series and I look forward to reading the third and final book in this series. ( )
  ashooles | Jan 25, 2020 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strole, PhoebeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yannette, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep;  the more I give to thee,
The more I have;  for both are infinite.
--William Shakespeare
For Sandy, guardian of the infinite.
There would be no harvest. The spring rains woke the dormant tillers, and bright green shoots sprang from the moist earth and rose like sleepers stretching after a long nap.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,530,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible