The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon

The Winter People

by Jennifer McMahon

1,2261369,894 (3.72)1 / 102
Recently added byrena75, bhvaughn, diane_v12, Awill424, NoelleButtry, ijustgetbored, vittithing, private library

West Hall, Vermont 1908. Sara Harrison Shea is found dead in the field behind her house just months after the tragic death of her daughter. She has been acted weirdly since then and her death is horrifying.

In the present day is nineteen-year-old Ruthie living in Sara's old farmhouse with her mother Alice and her younger sister. They have always lived a very simple life, farming what they need staying away from the modern world as much as possible. When Alice comes home late one night can she see that the little farmhouse is lit and that her mother is probably waiting for her. But, when she comes in she notices that the even though the kitchen is lit, her mother isn't there. Thinking that her mother has gone to bed she shrugs it off and goes to sleep in her room. But, the next day her little sister wakes her up and tells her that mom isn't in the bedroom. They search for clues in the house to find out what has happened to their mother and it is during the search that they discover a paperback version of Sara Harrison Shea diary...

Have you ever read a book that sucks you into the story from page one? The Winter people did that to me. I just couldn't stop reading the book. Both the present and the past story was both very interesting and I loved how the mystery slowly unraveled itself. It's not really a terrifying book, but it's engrossing and I found myself totally drawn into the mystery of Alice's disappearance and what it had to do with Sara Harrison Shea.

I also completely loved the paranormal part of the book, the legend that you can wake up a loved one from the dead and how that legend plays a part in this story. Ruthie is a wonderful character, and as much as I enjoyed reading the past story with Sara was I a bit more interested in Ruthie's search for her mother. But, I guess that's because there is so much going on in the present, things that she learns about herself in the search, why they live as they do and also because in the present we learn the consequence of the past events in 1908.

The book is great, one of the best I have read this year. It's a perfect read if you want an interesting story, not too terrifying, more poignant, but still a dark story. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Wow... that is really all I can say. This was such a page turner right until the end! Creepy and disturbing. Definitely not for the faint hearted nor people who don't like to read about children dying. Its a basic witch story with a few resurrected sleepers thrown in with missing people and murders. Such a crazy story. I loved every minute of it. ( )
1 vote booklover3258 | Mar 14, 2019 |
Pure fun. The perfect kind of story line with each revelation building to its conclusion. The pacing was pretty spot on and it was an easy, entertaining read. Nothing much deeper than a fun ghost story though. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Review: The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon. 4 Stars 01/16/2019

The story is well written and a fascinating subject. I found it very easy to read and the characters were well developed. The astounding mystery/horror is set in a bleak, frozen, inhospitable landscape of a cursed countryside. The pace of the story is great with tragedy building slowly at first. Once the reader is captivated terrible happenings start to escalate and spiral out of control. The sadness of the story starts at the beginning with the loss of a child which is the most unbearable nightmare for any parent.

As the story goes on Sarah, the grieving mother has an irresistible desire to bring a deceased child back to life. Sarah has an aunt who may be a witch and she knows a formula that can bring people back to life for seven days. The reader is dealing with the past and present events while the story is establishing a small amount of rituals and consequences that involve mythology.

The past is told from Sarah’s diary and the present is told by Katherine who deals in antiques and discovered pages of Sarah’s diary. In the present day there is a family living in Sara’s old house located near a wooded area that contains a landmark called, “The Devil’s Hand”. The family who now lives in the old house is Alice and her daughters Ruthie and Fawn however, Alice goes missing. After a while the daughters start to find clues that may lead them to their mother. The story took several inventive twist and turns to develop various points of view of the characters embedding depth and interest as you read about the past and present legends.

The story sounds like a lot of confusion but each chapter draws the reader into the story a little bit at a time which leaves the reader with more questions that are answered when reading the ending. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Feb 28, 2019 |
Another satisfying mystery-bordering-on-horror (a bit more so than other works of hers I've read) from the reliable Ms. McMahon. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |

What am I?

A: Memories

--A FOLK RIDDLE
For Zella
Because one day you wanted to play a really creepy game about two sisters whose parents had disappeared in the woods ... "Sometimes it just happens."
My beloved Aunt, Sara Harrison Shea, was brutally murdered in the winter of 1908.

The New York Times bestselling author of Promise Not to Tell returns with a simmering literary thriller about ghostly secrets, dark choices, and the unbreakable bond between mothers and daughters . . . sometimes too unbreakable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:35 -0400)

West Hall, Vermont, has always been a town of strange disappearances and old legends. The most mysterious is that of Sara Harrison Shea, who, in 1908, was found dead in the field behind her house just months after the tragic death of her daughter, Gertie. Now, in present day, nineteen-year-old Ruthie lives in Sara's farmhouse with her mother, Alice, and her younger sister, Fawn. Alice has always insisted that they live off the grid, a decision that suddenly proves perilous when Ruthie wakes up one morning to find that Alice has vanished without a trace. Searching for clues, she is startled to find a copy of Sara Harrison Shea's diary hidden beneath the floorboards of her mother's bedroom. As Ruthie gets sucked deeper into the mystery of Sara's fate, she discovers that she's not the only person who's desperately looking for someone that they've lost. But she may be the only one who can stop history from repeating itself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible