Crampton Hodnet (1985)

by Barbara Pym

Other authors: Hazel Holt (Editor)

7843623,349 (3.9)1 / 166
'A wonderfully accomplished farce beginning with the . . .unsuitabe romantic entanglements of a curate and a pretty young girl, both of whom live in the same rooming house, and a starry-eyed university professor and his female student.'

good characters. good stories. ( )
  mahallett | Aug 9, 2022 |
An amusing but rarely laugh-out-loud funny story about romantic dalliances between upper class English people in a college town in the 1930's. I found the relationship between the Oxford Don and his graduate student to be a lot less amusing than the one between the curate and the lady's companion who works for his landlady. In the latter case, the very sensible woman in question responds to the curate's romantic overtures with thoughtful consideration and, when he shows that he doesn't really respect her, sarcastic wit. ( )
  wishanem | May 27, 2021 |
A total hoot from beginning to end. I need ALL the Barbara Pym in my life. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Classic British village spinsters alert!

In the vein of Excellent Women and Some Tame Gazelle, we have shrewd discerning internal monologues from our main spinster/s, and a gossipy Greek chorus of villagers who keep the three parallel love affairs running.

Near the end, one of our protagonists notes the cyclical nature of village life, how things change (people leave our lives) and yet remain the same (new people enter our lives but follow the same pattern of action). And that's exactly how I like my favourite Pym stories: hilarious situations and snippy prose, small churchy village, many potential love affairs, doddering men contemptuous and foolish of love, one wise spinster amongst younger spinsters or malicious spinsters or married women with differing marriage situations.

Someone make an AI read through these books so I can have infinite takes on this one story please. ( )
  kitzyl | Aug 3, 2020 |
This was one of the lighter, more humorous ones. Miss Morrow was the wry detached voice here, and I particularly enjoyed Francis and Barbara's 'relationship'. Very entertaining. ( )
  pgchuis | Apr 26, 2020 |

Pym, Barbaraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holt, HazelEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernieres, Louis deIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klein, KatarzynaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turle, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winkler, DoraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Has as a reference guide/companion

It was a wet Sunday afternoon in North Oxford at the begining of October.

VIRAGO EDITION:
Formidable Miss Doggett fills her life by giving tea parties for young academics and acting as watchdog for the morals of North Oxford. Anthea, her great-niece, is in love with a dashing undergraduate with political ambitions. Of this Miss Doggett thoroughly approves. However, Anthea's father, an Oxford don, is carrying on in the most unseemly fashion with a student - they have been spotted together at the British Museum! But the only liaison Miss Doggett isn't aware of is taking place under her very own roof: the lodger has proposed to her paid companion Miss Morrow. She wouldn't approve of that at all.

Legacy Library: Barbara Pym

Barbara Pym has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Barbara Pym's legacy profile.

See Barbara Pym's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,834,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible