Parrots Over Puerto Rico (Americas Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature. Winner)

by Susan L. Roth, Cindy Trumbore

"A combined history of the Puerto Rican parrot and the island of Puerto Rico, highlighting current efforts to save the Puerto Rican parrot by protecting and managing this endangered species"--Provided by publisher.

Silbert Award Winner
The collages are stunning, colorful and full of life and movement, bringing the island of the parrots to life. The book acts as a history through the eyes of the parrots, starting before people lived on the island and follows their rise and fall until modern day when they needed to be hand hatched in order to increase the population. Than back pages contain contain more real photos of the parrots and the scientists dedicated to helping them survive. The writing, while incredibly informative, does not live up to the liveliness or the interest of the illustrations, leaving my 5 year old bored about 4 pages in. ( )
  mslibrarynerd | Jan 13, 2024 |
The first part of this book draws parallels between the history of the Puerto Rican parrot the history of Puerto Rico itself. About halfway through the book, when the parrots become truly endangered, the focus shifts away from Peurto Rican history and concentrates on efforts to rehabilitate the parrot population.

Interesting and well-written, but not a stunner in my eyes. In terms of nonfiction books for kids about endangered species, I greatly prefer last year's [b:Moonbird|2017786|Moonbird|Joyce Dunbar|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320427691s/2017786.jpg|2022111] by Phillip Hoose, which was for older readers and more in-depth. I also really love [b:Can We Save the Tiger|9322920|Can We Save the Tiger?|Martin Jenkins|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320546044s/9322920.jpg|14206118] by Martin Jenkins. And of course there is the fantastic [b:Kakapo Rescue|7683285|Kakapo Rescue Saving the World's Strangest Parrot (Scientists in the Field Series)|Sy Montgomery|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1388303129s/7683285.jpg|10330134] by Sy Montgomery.

I don't want to be overly critical of a perfectly good book, but I do think this suffers from an in-between problem. The illustrations are beautiful and evocative, but give off a "little kid" vibe, which doesn't match the more sophisticated vocabulary used in the book. So it's somewhere in between a primary and intermediate audience. It's too long for a group read-aloud and I don't think it quite rises to the level of a great dramatic story. Yet it's not written in a way that lends itself to fact finding for reports, except the afterword which has photographs and a timeline. So it's in between narrative nonfiction and traditional informational nonfiction.

But maybe this in-betweeness is a good thing on some level. It might reach a wider audience and have broader appeal because it isn't so easily categorized. I certainly hope to see more nonfiction of this caliber for young readers! ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
  fernandie | Sep 15, 2022 |
Int-Middle. This book talks about the history of the parrots native to Puerto Rico while also sharing an in-depth history of the island itself. This informational text is a great way to learn about how the environmental changes surrounding an animal's habitat can change population.
  sarahcasimes | Apr 20, 2021 |
The pictures in this book were really well done and draw attention to each page. About Puerto Rican parrots that are near extinction.
  tabethadeines | Nov 2, 2020 |

Susan L. Rothprimary authorall editionscalculated
Trumbore, Cindymain authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,926,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible