No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA,…

No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State (2014)

by Glenn Greenwald

Recently added byIvanapcastillo, private library, jensgram, jmgear, rahkan, joshuagomez, The_Pauler

English (25)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (28)
The Snowden part was good, reading through all the government documents was tedious. ( )
  ffifield | Dec 21, 2018 |
El libro tiene tres partes principales. La 1era cubre como Snowden se contactó con Greenwald y la información que le entregó junto con la vorágine de acontecimientos de los primeros días luego de las revelaciones. La segunda se refiere a los detalles técnicos de cómo lo hizo la NSA para hacer que la Gestapo, KGB y Stasi parezcan ahora amateurs en comparación. La tercera se refiere al rol del periodismo y el su constante lucha? equilibrio? con el gobierno para limitar los excesos. La 1a y 3a parte se pueden leer omitiendo la 2da y me parecieron las más interesantes. La primera se lee como un reportaje, mientras que la 3ra es una interesante reflexión del rol de la prensa como el cuarto poder. ( )
  sergiouribe | Jul 15, 2018 |
So I watched Citizen Four a while back, and think it helped in reading this. Though not nec. it certainly helped me remember parts of the documentary, as well as vicualize parts of the story as they unfolded.

That said, wow, good book. Scary, and pretty depressing, but good, and everyone should read it.

It's startling to see just how far our government (including the President i voted for and mostly love) has gone to erasing our privacy. How far in the pocket our journalists are, and how much we've willingly or otherwise given up in the name of (false) security.

Greenwald does an excellent job pointing out the lies (outright and by omission) our government and media have spread to convince us that we're somehow safer having either given up or (more often than not) had taken away our rights.

it's eye opening to see how bad it's gotten, and how completely untrustworthy our media is with regard to our government. ( )
  jwilker | May 23, 2018 |
Parts of it were interesting, but I'm not sure I got much out of reading it. YMMV. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
That Snowden exposed all that he did is incredibly important. However, I don't entirely trust Greenwald. If he presented dispassionately and simply factually I would be blown away. Through his career I'm reticent to subscribe to his conclusions because he will ignore swathes of information and passionately come to a conclusion. He also gets into tawdry pointless exchanges with trolls. ( )
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
The United States government has perfected a technological capability that enables us to monitor the messages that go through the air. . . That capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything -- telephone conversations, telegrams, it doesn't matter.  There would be no place to hide.

- Senator Frank Church, Chair, Senate Select Committee to Study Governmental Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities, 1975
This book is dedicated to all those who have sought to shine a light on the US government's secret mass surveillance systems, particularly the courageous whistle-blowers who have risked their liberty to do so.
Introduction:  In the fall of 2005, without much in the way of grandiose expectations, I decided to create a political blog.
When marginalized youths commit minor infractions, we as a society turn a blind eye as they suffer insufferable consequences in the world's largest prison system, yet when the richest and most powerful telecommunications providers in the country knowingly commit tens of millions of felonies, Congress passes our nation's first law providing their elite friends with full retroactive immunity--civil and criminal--for crimes that would have merited the longest sentences [] in history.
I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions,and that the return of this information to the public marks my end. I will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon, and irresistible executive powers that rule the world that I love are revealed for even an instant. If you seek to help, join the open source community and fight to keep the spirit of the press alive and the internet free. I have been to the darkest corners of the government, and what they fear is light.
Taken in its entirety, the Snowden archive led to an ultimately simple conclusion: the U.S. government had built a system that has as its goal the complete elimination of electronic privacy worldwide.
(Glenn Greenwald writes...)
Congressman Alan Grayson wrote to Attorney General Holder, noting that prominent political figures called for my arrest and that I had had to decline an invitation to testify before Congress about the NSA due to concerns about possible prosecution. He concluded the letter saying:

I regard this as regrettable because (1) the commission of journalism is not a crime; (2) on the contrary, it is protected explicitly under the First Amendment; (3) Mr. Greenwald's reports regarding these subjects have, in fact, informed me, other members of Congress, and the general public of serious, pervasive violations of law and constitutional rights committed by agents of the government.
...Snowden...has reminded everyone about the extraordinary ability of any human being to change the world. An ordinary person in all outward respects--raised by parents without particular wealth or power, lacking even a high school diploma, working as an obscure employee of a giant corporation--he has, through a single act of conscience, literally altered the course of history.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 162779073X, Hardcover)

No Place to Hide is a groundbreaking look at the NSA surveillance scandal, from the reporter who broke the story

Investigative reporter for The Guardian and bestselling author Glenn Greenwald, provides an in-depth look into the NSA scandal that has triggered a national debate over national security and information privacy. With further revelations from documents entrusted to Glenn Greenwald by Edward Snowden himself, this book explores the extraordinary cooperation between private industry and the NSA, and the far-reaching consequences of the government’s surveillance program, both domestically and abroad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:48 -0400)

"Investigative reporter for The Guardian and bestselling author Glenn Greenwald, provides an in-depth look into the NSA scandal that has triggered a national debate over national security and information privacy. With further revelations from documents entrusted to Glenn Greenwald by Edward Snowden himself, this book explores the extraordinary cooperation between private industry and the NSA, and the far-reaching consequences of the government's surveillance program, both domestically and abroad" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,733,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible