Mr. Mercedes (2014)

by Stephen King

Series: Bill Hodges Trilogy (1)

"In a mega-stakes, high-suspense race against time, three of the most unlikely and winning heroes Stephen King has ever created try to stop a lone killer from blowing up thousands. In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes. In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the "perk" and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy. Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands. Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable"--… (more)
    Finders Keepers by Stephen King (sturlington, Anonymous user)
    sturlington: Finders Keepers is the sequel to Mr. Mercedes
    The Outsider by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Cross-over character.

English (295)  Italian (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (304)
I couldn't stop reading this book, I just had to know what happened next. It is a great story I never once lost interest in any part. Loved it ( )
  debbiedd24 | Jul 21, 2021 |
So I have given this a try in both book and audio form. Its just not interesting to me. So I am done and I give up.
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Bill Hodges is a retired police detective with nothing to do when he is contacted by the sociopath who killed a bunch of innocents waiting for a job fair by driving a stolen Mercedes through the crowd. Bill has no friends, except a young bright black kid who helps with yard and house maintenance. For idiotic and unexplainable reasons, Bill decides he will capture the "one who got away" without police assistance, twisting the killer's tail without considering that he and his rag tag team will become targets. The book moves along at a good pace, but many aspects are too hard to believe, such as his relationship with the Mercedes' owner's sister and cousin. Nevertheless, the characters, including the villain are interesting: 3.5 stars. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
One of the better books from King in recent years, although it follows some of the same patterns as some of his others. ( )
  atari_guy | May 11, 2021 |
Months ago, I got a little thrill knowing Stephen King was coming out with another book. Even after its release, I still hadn't even read the synopsis of what the story was going to be about, I just got the book and jumped into it as soon as I had a chance. It was like jumping headfirst into the shallow end of the pool, hitting your head, and surfacing all confused. I know King has done some other 'hard-boiled detective' type stories (loved THE COLORADO KID) but it generally is not the type of story I like, and not what I was expecting from King. Yes, I know. I should have read the synopsis.

That being said, I must admit at the time of my reading, that I just was not in the mood for this type of story, and because I was expecting something different, I had to put the book down after reading only about a third of it. Someday I may take it back up and try again, but for now it shall sit there until my reading interest changes (again). ( )
  Ralphd00d | May 4, 2021 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thinking of James M. Cain

They threw me off the hay truck about noon...
Augie Odenkirk had a 1997 Datsun that still ran well in spite of high mileage, but gas was expensive, especially for a man with no job, and City Center was on the far side of town, so he decided to take the last bus of the night.

In the predawn hours, in a distressed American city, hundreds of unemployed men and women line up for the opening of a job fair. They are tired and cold and desperate. Emerging from the fog, invisible until it is too late, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

Months later, an ex-cop named Bill Hodges, still haunted by the unsolved crime, contemplates suicide. When he gets a crazed letter from "the perk", claiming credit for the murders, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, fearing another even more diabolical attack and hell-bent on preventing it.

Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of eccentric and mis-matched allies can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,308,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible