Mr. Mercedes (2014)

by Stephen King

Series: Bill Hodges Trilogy (1)

"In a mega-stakes, high-suspense race against time, three of the most unlikely and winning heroes Stephen King has ever created try to stop a lone killer from blowing up thousands. In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes. In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the "perk" and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy. Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands. Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable"--… (more)
    Finders Keepers by Stephen King (sturlington, Anonymous user)
    sturlington: Finders Keepers is the sequel to Mr. Mercedes
    The Outsider by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Cross-over character.

English (306)  Italian (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (315)
I really did read it in one day - It was that good!! I've loved Stephen King since I was in jr. high school when I read "Carrie" and "Christine" for the first time and convinced my mom that they were just stories about young girls like me. This ones different as its not so much a horror story but more a mystery/thriller. However, the mystery is only for detective Bill Hodges because you know exactly who the killer is from the beginning pages, you're just waiting for him to make the connections and figure it all out. Written in the typical irreverent, politically incorrect Stephen King style, and finishing with all the loose ends wrapped up....except for that one little cliff-hanger on the very last page. Kind of like the hand coming out grave at the end of the movie version of "Carrie" Im going to have get to the store so I can buy the second book in the trilogy, since I'm not going to be able to wait for my hold on it at the library! ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
This is my first King book and so do not have a history of his writing. So my review is pretty much in a tunnel of this book.

I enjoyed this book. The grizzled old cop, the dame, the young kid who's too smart for his age - classic. There is one character added towards the end who is unnecessary and annoying. She comes out of the blue, is not talked about in the slightest by any of the characters, and is very unlikable.

The plot is very good right off the bat; there's no drawn out build. Any needed backstory is told within the main story line. There's none of the annoying tropes King is known for like an insane religious person for no reason. This is just a straightforward detective novel with King's well known style - even for those who haven't read his work before. This did feel like a Dean Koontz book more than a Stephen King book. Not that it's a bad thing. At the time of this writing there are two other books and I would pick up the other two just from this book. Final Grade - B ( )
  agentx216 | Aug 1, 2022 |
This was a great crime thriller!

A small backstory:

A crazy lunatic (Brady Hartsfield) decides to drive a mercedes into a bunch of people at a job fair (dubbing him the Mercedes Killer) which some people ended up dead with quite a few others injured and Brady escapes capture. A year goes by and Brady sends a letter to retired cop, Bill Hodges who was the detective on the case at the time of the incident. Brady lets Bill know in the letter that it was him that killed and injured those people, but he lets it be known in the letter that he is far from done on killing people and also that no one can catch him.

Bill decides to investigate on his own and pulls his lawn guy (Jerome) in on the private investigation as Jerome knows all about techy/computer stuff. Thus begins a cat and mouse game between Brady and Bill as things go from bad to worse as Brady has bigger plans in mind to take out more than a few hundred people - he is wanting to take out thousands.

Thoughts:

This is not your typical horror trope from the Master of Horror as Stephen King has written a crime/suspense thriller. It didn't bother me at all that this book was not horror as for goodness sake it was written by King and that is all I care about. :)

The beginning of the book had some action right away but then it became a slow burn with background building of the characters. About the middle of the book the pace picked up and I became involved more with wondering how Bill Hodges and his friends were going to capture Brady.

The writing style was usual King - drawn out in some places but that is the way it is with most of his books, but normally his stories are like a snowball rolling down a hill as the faster the story goes the quicker I am turning the pages!

I was planning on taking my time with this one and try to absorb the story, but the more I read what was happening and the mystery deepened with the circumstances of the story, the more I stayed up reading the book!

I always love a great crime thriller and that is what this book turned out to be! Now I will need to pursue the next book in the series soon. Giving this one five "Mercedes Manic" stars.

For more thoughts on this review, please see my blog:
https://booknookretreat.blogspot.com/2021/09/mr-mercedes-bill-hodges-trilogy-by.... ( )
  BookNookRetreat7 | Jul 25, 2022 |
I'm sitting here, trying to collect my thoughts about the book, trying to come up with something good about it, but it's hard, mostly because there are so many things that bother me.

The biggest issue I had with the book was that Hodges never contacted the cops which I found puzzling since he from the beginning never had a reason for a vendetta except for the fact that he never caught Mr. Mercedes before he retired. Of course, later on, he got himself a reason to wanting the killer dead, mostly because of his own fault, because he never called the police You see my problem? He's an ex-cop with an ex-colleague he can call anytime, but he decides to be the lone ranger instead.

And also, the killer is a tech nerd and Hodge is not, but of course, he manages to find himself not one but two people that are tech nerds.

2 stars to Mr. Mercedes. A good try King to write a thriller but sadly a failed attempt to make it a good one. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
I've been neglecting keeping up with Goodreads, I finished Mr. Mercedes over a month ago.
I read Mr. Mercedes and loved it so much I immediately picked up #2 when I finished.
It's funny, I put off reading this series because the synopsis didn't catch my interest. It took meeting Holly Gibney while reading [b:The Outsider|36124936|The Outsider|Stephen King|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1524596540l/36124936._SY75_.jpg|57566471] to pique my interest in the Mercedes Killer. As it turns out, Mr. Mercedes trilogy is one of my favorite King works. The characterizations here are truly amazing. Holly Gibney and Detective Hodges are two of the best characters I have encountered while reading. ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thinking of James M. Cain

They threw me off the hay truck about noon...
Augie Odenkirk had a 1997 Datsun that still ran well in spite of high mileage, but gas was expensive, especially for a man with no job, and City Center was on the far side of town, so he decided to take the last bus of the night.

In the predawn hours, in a distressed American city, hundreds of unemployed men and women line up for the opening of a job fair. They are tired and cold and desperate. Emerging from the fog, invisible until it is too late, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

Months later, an ex-cop named Bill Hodges, still haunted by the unsolved crime, contemplates suicide. When he gets a crazed letter from "the perk", claiming credit for the murders, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, fearing another even more diabolical attack and hell-bent on preventing it.

Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of eccentric and mis-matched allies can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,570,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible