The Outsider by Stephen King

The Outsider (2018)

by Stephen King

English (72)  French (1)  All languages (73)
I tried. I wanted to like it. And the first half was pretty good. I was into the story. Then the supernatural, which you know is coming, finally starts to kick in, and I found I didn't care anymore. I think the book was too long to begin with, and then the second half lost me. They seem like completely disjointed halves, and I felt I was never going to be satisfied by the outcome. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
I felt like many other reviewers that this book was a great mystery for 2/3 of the way through. Then it went supernatural in a way that just didn't fit for me, even with the background info about the mythical Spanish "El Cuco." Nevertheless I enjoyed the audio reading by Will Patton, the characterizations, and King-esque details. ( )
  terran | May 13, 2019 |
I enjoyed the plot. It was alittle slow about a quarter into the book. But picked up about half way through until the end. Would love a part 2 answering all the questions iI have about the other. ( )
  Teezie | May 10, 2019 |
I have not read much of Stephen King, but when I saw this book at my library, I decided to give it a try. Crime and suspense novels are not my genres, and I wanted to expand my scope. The premise of this book was enticing and it was well written. However, I felt he seemed to go through more obstacles to get to the good stuff, which made it easy to lose focus and put down. I did not find myself thinking about the story or the characters, as I did not connect with them. I do want to read more King, so I will keep looking and find another book soon. All in all, while I do not think this book was for me, I would recommend it to anyone who likes Stephen King and enjoys horror, crime, and suspense. If you are an avid King fan and are familiar with his characters and background, then I think this book is worth a read. ( )
  mharris1227 | May 4, 2019 |
Pretty good book, not my favorite King novel by a long shot. Extra points for bringing back Holly Gibney. Book was way too long for the story it told; but as usual, King can write and make the story flow. ( )
  bjkelley | Apr 25, 2019 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briasco, L.Traduttoresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briasco, LucaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
« La pensée ne confère au monde une apparence d'ordre que pour ceux qui ont la faiblesse de croire à ces faux-semblants. »

Colin Wilson
« The Country of the blind »
Pour Rand et Judy Holston
C'était une voiture banalisée, une berline américaine quelconque, plus très jeune, mais les pneus à flanc noir et les trois hommes à l'intérieur en trahissaient la nature.

An eleven-year-old boy's violated corpse is found in a town park. Eyewitnesses and fingerprints point unmistakably to one of Flint City's most popular citizens. He is Terry Maitland, Little League coach, English teacher, husband, and father of two girls. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest. The case seems ironclad, especially when Anderson and the district attorney are able to add DNS evidence to go with the fingerprints and witnesses. But Maitland has an alibi, and it turns out his story has incontrovertible evidence of its own.

How can two opposing stories be true? What happens to a family when an accusation of this magnitude is delivered? When must reason or rationality be abandoned in order to explain the inexplicable? As the investigation expands and horrifying answers begin to emerge, King's propulsive story kicks into high gear, generating strong tension and almost unbearable suspense. Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face? When the answer comes, it will shock as only Stephen King can.

When an 11-year-old boy is found murdered, forensic evidence and reliable eyewitnesses undeniably point to the town's popular Little League coach. But the jailed suspect, arrested in a public spectacle, has an alibi, and further research convinces Detective Ralph Anderson that the coach was indeed out of town. So how can he have been in two places at the same time?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,904,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible