Guy in Real Life by Steve Brezenoff

Guy in Real Life

by Steve Brezenoff

I read the ebook version which I got from the library.

I am married to a man who plays dice and paper RPG games and who LARPs. I've done these games myself and we actually originally met at a LARP event. Neither of us are video gamers though although we know people who are.

I don't usually read YA literature, but some of the reviews for this book compared it to Rainbow's books and I had just read one so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm giving this a 4 star review in spite of the fact that I skimmed and skipped several chapters. There was a lot in here, probably very good stuff I imagine, that was about the male character being in the video game playing a female character. You follow that? I've played male characters in RPGs myself, and I've seen guys play female characters. It's not much of a stretch for me. But me is over 40 and I didn't feel drawn into this part of the book as much someone else might. I wanted to stick to what was happening face to face more which by itself was still an excellent story.

I did think that too much was put on Lesh's best friend Greg. It was like he was carrying around the job of being so many things, a composite character almost. He was the stoner, gamer, best friend, couldn't get a girl..... whoa. A bit much to lay all on one guy, but whatever. I also didn't get into the names of everyone (Weiner, Cheese, Jelly).. I got lost a little when some people in the story were calling Lesh "Tung" but I finally figured it out. It was a nickname from his last name, which is pretty common in high school but whatever, small details. It's been a long time since high school. Someone closer to that age might appreciate it more.

Anyway, yes we are talking about a love story and about gender roles and about what happens in high school and peer pressure and identity and a lot of stuff, and it's good. I may even go back and read those chapters that I skipped before my loan runs out.

Icepacklady | Jun 3, 2015 |
Roles and authenticity are the theme being explored in this funny and real book of teens trying to figure out who they are. I loved Lesh and Svetlana and the alternating points of view was a great way to see how the relationship was progressing. The ending scene was wonderful - Lesh's attempts to explain what he is feeling were perfect. The writing is great and the narration is spot on. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Nov 1, 2014 |
It is to be all made of fantasy,

All made of passion, and all made of wishes; All adoration, duty, and observance, All humbleness, all patience, and impatience, All purity, all trial, all obeisance. - As You Like It, Act V, Scene II
To Etta Ruth, my girl
"This is not my life."

"The lives of two Minnesota teenagers are intertwined through the world of role-playing games"--

19 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,835,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible