HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Any Other Name (2014)

by Craig Johnson

Series: Walt Longmire (10)

6083834,186 (4)71
"Sheriff Walt Longmire had already rounded up a sizable posse of devoted readers when the A&E television series Longmire sent the Wyoming lawman's popularity skyrocketing. Now, with three consecutive New York Times bestsellers to his name and the second season of Longmire reaching an average of 5.4 million viewers per episode, Craig Johnson is reaching a fan base that is both fiercely loyal and ever growing. In Any Other Name, Walt is sinking into high-plains winter discontent when his former boss, Lucian Conally, asks him to take on a mercy case in an adjacent county. Detective Gerald Holman is dead and Lucian wants to know what drove his old friend to take his own life. With the clock ticking on the birth of his first grandchild, Walt learns that the by-the-book detective might have suppressed evidence concerning three missing women. Digging deeper, Walt uncovers an incriminating secret so dark that it threatens to claim other lives even before the sheriff can serve justice--Wyoming style"--… (more)

Always a pleasure to visit with Walt Longmire and his friends, especially after reading fairly brutal stories that I often read; it provides a nice break. Makes me want to go out and buy a Stetson western hat.

His deputy, Vic, is back from her injuries, and she's always a nice addition to the stories. She sort of adds a sharpness to the humor. So we get Vic's "Fuck me!" in addition to Walt's "Boy howdy!"

The story is pretty complex, and moves along slowly, as usual. If you're looking for lots of action, you'll have to be patient, but if you like the humorous back and forth of the various characters of the west, then you'll be OK. It turns out to be a pretty serious crime, but it takes a long time to get there. I can't discuss the actual crimes without spoiling the story a bit, so I won't. ( )
  MartyFried | Oct 9, 2022 |
Sometimes I think Walt Longmire takes his job to serious. As Lucian Connally, his old boss, says about Walt in this book; "Because he's like a gun; once you point him and pull the trigger, it's too late to change your mind." That sums up Walt pretty well. He just can't let go of things. Even when he gets hurt, and let me tell you, he usually ends up with at least one visit to the hospital in every book, at least it feels like that.

Lucian asks him for a favor in this book, a simple request to visit a widow to a recently deceased police. She doesn’t believe that her husband killed himself and Walt agrees to look into the suicide even though all evidence points to suicide and not murder, and even though his daughter Cady is in Philadelphia ready to give birth and want her daddy there.  Luckily he has his friend Henry Standing Bear and his trusty deputy Vic Moretti by his side.

I probably had too high expectations after the last book. The ending in the last book had me in bits since I was worried that one of my favorite characters wouldn’t pull through and also since the ending revealed something unexpected and tragic. I found the case in this book a bit lacking. The book was never dull to read, but the case, the suicide that led to missing women wasn’t just my cup of tea. It just never really got intense, not even the ending. It was a good book, but since I have waited to read it for months, longing for it, to have Vic and Walt to have the big talk about what happened in the last book and they just skimmed the surface. So now I have to wait for the next book to see if they will have a heart to heart. I liked it better when I had all the published books to go through instead of this hellish waiting... ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |

MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
What's to say? Not my favorite of the series, but I loved it. The narrator is wonderful as always. Again I'll say yes I loved the TV series but the books are 10 times better. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |

Johnson, Craigprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us. - Winston Churchill
For Lola, Act I

Trois filles disparues
Blizzard, bisons et charbon
Naissance de Lola
(Tiercelin)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,948,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible