The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood

The Killer Next Door (2013)

by Alex Marwood

2032757,794 (3.49)15

Listened the audio version. Meh. It wasn't unbearable and mostly entertaining. But nothing memorable. ( )
  soontobefree | Feb 3, 2017 |
My god, that was just a damn fine read. Has the unsentimental compassion of John Steinbeck, with PD James's introspection and Ruth Rendell's boojums. There is also a strong element of those beautiful Ealing caper movies. ( )
  SomeGuyInVirginia | Nov 16, 2016 |
This was a little different than I thought it would be based on the title. I saw this audiobook while it was on sale at Audible recently and decided to buy it largely because of the title and the narrator. I thought that it would be a book completely focused on the killer alluded to in the title. That's not exactly what the book was. It's focus was not just on the killer but the entire building's tenants. Everything came together in the end and I did enjoy the story.

There are a lot of characters that make up this story. Each of these people have their own story to tell and as the book unfolds we do learn quite a bit about them. This group of individuals have more than their fair share of problems. I loved how they became close to each other as things happened. The friendships that developed felt very real.

Of course, there were a couple of characters that were anything but lovable. The landlord was a piece of work that made my skin crawl anytime we took a peek at his thoughts. Then there is the killer. These sections were actually some of my favorite in the story but I tend to like stories that are rather gruesome but not all readers will enjoy those parts as much as I did.

I thought the narrator did a fabulous job. There are a lot of characters to keep straight in this book and they do spend a lot of time interacting with each other. The narrator was able to use distinctive voices for each character and seamlessly switched back and forth. I never had any difficulty keeping track of who was who in the story. I do think that I liked this story a bit more because I chose the audio format. The narrator really brought a lot to the story.

I would recommend this audiobook to others. I think that the strong characters and the mystery of the killer worked well together in this story. This is the first book by Alex Marwood that I have read but I plan to look for her work in the future. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Oct 14, 2016 |
It took me awhile to get through this book but I did enjoy it. It's not suspenseful because you pretty much know right away who the killer is but it still has a good story line and keeps you wondering how it will end. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 20, 2016 |
I'd never read, or even heard of Alex Marwood, when I picked up this book on a whim at the library. And karma must have been good to me because I was in for a treat.

There's no suspense in who the killer is but just the sick and twisted way Marwood spins this tale is absolutely enGROSSing. The characters are all so well drawn out and interesting, I found myself interested in each of their stories. The only hiccup I had in this book was my lack of knowledge of British slang. But I felt like it just added a whole other level of interest to this story and pulled me further into the world of Beulah Grove.

Before I was even done with this book I put in a request at the library for her Edgar Award Winner, The Wicked Girls. ( )
  she_climber | Aug 15, 2016 |
As is your mind
So is your sort of search; you'll find
What you desire

ROBERT BROWNING
For Cathy Fleming
A wonderful sister and a brilliant friend
He checks his watch and downs the last of his coffee. 'Okay. Miss Cheryl should be done with her fag break. Let's take you down to her.'

No. 23 has a secret.in this gloomy bedsit-riddled south London wreck, lorded over by a lecherous landlord, a horrifying collection quietly waits to be discovered. yet all six residents have something to hide.

Collette is on the run from her ex-boss; Cher is an under-age children's-home escapee; lonely Thomas tries to make friends with his neighbours; while a gorgeous Iranian asylum seeker and a'quiet man' nobody sees try to keep themselves hidden. And there for them all is Vesta, a woman who knows everything that goes on in the house - or thought she did.

Then in the dead of night, a terrible accident pushes the neighbours into an uneasy alliance. But one of them is a killer, expertly hiding their pastime, all the while closing in on the next victim...

No. 23 has a secret. In this gloomy, bedsit-riddled South London wreck, lorded over by a lecherous landlord, a horrifying collection quietly waits to be discovered. Yet all six residents have something to hide. Collette is on the run from her ex-boss; Cher is an underage children's home escapee; lonely Thomas tries to make friends with his neighbours; while a gorgeous Iranian asylum seeker and a 'quiet man' nobody sees try to keep themselves hidden. And there for them all is Vesta, a woman who knows everything that goes on in the house - or thought she did. Then in the dead of night, a terrible accident pushes the six into an uneasy alliance. But one of them is a killer, expertly hiding their pastime, all the while closing in on their next victim...As a cloying heatwave suffocates the city, events build to an electrifying climax in this brilliantly constructed, tightly paced thriller.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,718,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible