Cannery Row (1945)

by John Steinbeck

Series: Cannery Row (1)

8,933174724 (4.04)1 / 719
Vividly depicts the colorful, sometimes disreputable, inhabitants of a run-down area in Monterey, California.
Recently added byGumbywan, skipintro, jdiggity83, Allyoopsi, sallymn, jillvalentinexoxo, bohmanjo, private library, MaryAL
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg, Walker Percy
    Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (Booksloth)
    All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (mabith)
    mabith: McCarthy's border trilogy reminded me so heavily of Steinbeck. I think if you enjoy one author you'll enjoy the other as well.
    Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck (HollyMS)
    Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (lyzadanger)
    lyzadanger: Similar pastoral view of the West.
    A Foreign Woman by Sergei Dovlatov (Anonymous user)
    The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Log from the Sea of Cortez by John Steinbeck (chrisharpe)
    Underworld by Don DeLillo (xtien)

English (167)  Spanish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (174)
Not hard to see why this is so beloved. It’s charming and life affirming, a deceptively simple series of anecdotes about the inhabitants of Cannery Row. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
If a book could be awarded "best ensemble," like a theatre production, Cannery Row would receive my vote any day. What a wonderful cast of characters! This book makes me smile and fills me with the desire to wade into the sea and drink buckets of wine and love people. People who don't like Steinbeck haven't read this. ( )
  invisiblecityzen | Mar 13, 2022 |
Cannery Row's main unifying thread is the novel's namesake. It's the place where the characters passing through Steinbeck's tale call home. The book feels more like a collection of short stories with some strong connectors, but it works. Each character, no matter how rough and tumble is redeemed in a way. Steinbeck doesn't get too flowery in his writing, but it is still magnificent to read. ( )
  Sean191 | Feb 17, 2022 |
Without a doubt one of the best novels I've ever read, plot is almost no existent, the enjoyment of wonderful characters, weaving through each others lives. I liked it even more then Of Mice and Men which I also loved. I'm going to read a lot more Steinbeck this year. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
You know, you think you read "Cannery Row" once, but didn't. Now I have read several biographies of Steinbeck but then finally realized I never actually read "Cannery Row." I have been by Cannery Row in Monterrey but never really went in either. Oh well, maybe someday.

Now as for the actual novel, short as it was I found it mildly entertaining. Maybe even a little amusing at times. Just a little though. It helped having read the bios on Steinbeck to understand where he was going with it. Much of what Steinbeck wrote was based on his experiences in and around the SalinaMonterrey area. The characters being based on real people also particularly Doc who was a good friend and seemed to be very much like the Doc of the book as well as his lab being the center of attention.

So the story being a meandering of farcical events that took place here and with the people there was pretty much entire novel. The zaniness of life in the fish canning area during the late 30's. There you have it now at least I know what it's about. ( )
  knightlight777 | Jul 18, 2021 |

Waechter, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
ED RICKETTS
who knows why or should
Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream.
"It has always seemed strange to me," said Doc. "The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling are the comcomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second."

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185082, 0141045396, 024195245X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,505,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible