Mildred Pierce (1941)

by James M. Cain

"Mildred Pierce had gorgeous legs, a way with a skillet, and a bone-deep core of toughness. She used those attributes to survive a divorce and poverty and to claw her way out of the lower middle class. But Mildred also had two weaknesses: a yen for shiftless men, and an unreasoning devotion to a monstrous daughter. Out of these elements, Cain creates a novel of acute social observation and devastating emotional violence, with a heroine whose ambitions and sufferings are never less than recognizable"--P. 4 of cover.… (more)

English (33)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I had read a bunch of James M. Cain novels years ago and loved them. Now I listened to this as an audio book and it definitely holds up, although the narrator was not great. ( )
  gbelik | Nov 23, 2020 |
Very intense and a little gritty. The ending was as unsatisfying as I expected when I was half way through. About the best thing I can say is that I don't regret spending the time reading it. ( )
  grandpahobo | Apr 16, 2020 |
This one really missed the mark for me. I didn't feel engaged with the story-line that Cain presented nor the characters. I even found myself skimming some of the book to hope that it would get to an interesting, good point- but that never came. Even if you interested in this author, it might be a disappointment. I feel that I garnished very little from this work and do not recommend it to others.

1 star. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Jul 14, 2019 |
Very good. James M. Cain is known for his noire works. I'm not sure this qualifies as one of those.

Basically, it's the story of a young woman during the Depression. Her husband loses his real-estate business and takes up with a floozy. The young woman needs to support herself and daughters. Her only real talent is cooking. Desperate for a job, she takes a gig as a waitress. Eventually she gets into the restaurant business and builds a successful business. There are many setbacks along the way—she has several inappropriate liaisons and a daughter who is 100% diva—but she more-or-less triumphs. Actually, the triumph part isn't completely clear. But with her basic grit and determination, one expects she'll get things on track. Whatever, an interesting take on the 1930s.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |

Cain, James M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berritz, SabineTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonas, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Napolitano, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the spring of 1931, on a lawn in Glendale, California, a man was bracing trees.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,336,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible