Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch by Alice…

Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (1901)

by Alice Hegan Rice

Other authors: Dan Garris (Illustrator), Norma Garris (Illustrator)

Series: The Cabbage Patch (1)

The story of the Wiggs family was fun and enjoyable, but I have given it three stars because of the silly side love story that didn't have any thing to do with the main story and was an annoying distraction. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
This book was written to be read to a child and it achieves that objective very, very well. The book does not varnish over the hardships of poverty, yet it does not turn dark because it is a child's book. I was surprised that Alice Rice allowed a key character to die so early in the book, but that brought the realism of the despair of the family to the young listeners. The author showed brilliant strokes of imagination: geographical names for children, the characteristics of the neighbors, the actions of the family. Yes, the book does end on a rosy note, but that's how a child's book should end.

I gave 3 1/2 stars since this is a good book, one that I would recommend but not one that I would read again any time soon. ( )
  rcalbright | Oct 12, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book, probably more from imagining my grandmother, Mamaw Wiggy (Mrs Wiggs), in similar circumstances. It was fun and interesting and worth the attention. ( )
  learn2laugh | Sep 14, 2014 |
I read it because of the film. I watched a lot of WC Fields movies as a kid. My parents have a bust of him. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 18, 2014 |
  mamalaoshi | Apr 13, 2013 |

Alice Hegan Riceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garris, DanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garris, NormaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This little story is lovingly dedicated to my mother, who for years has been the good angel of "the Cabbage Patch"
"My, but it's nice an' cold this mornin'!" The thermometer's done fell up to zero!"

In the shanty town called the Cabbage Patch, Mrs. Wiggs scrabbles for survival with her brood of five children.
Mrs. Wiggs, a widow, is left to raise five children in dire poverty, but faces life with optimism and hope. (This book was a bestseller for two years when originally published, and was adapted for a stage and screen several times, with one version in 1934 featuring W. C. Fields)

Available at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0813190746, Paperback)

" A national bestseller when first published in 1901, Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch endures today as one of the most memorable literary creations by a Kentucky author. This immensely popular novel spawned several movies (with such stars as W.C. Fields and Shirley Temple), countless stage productions, radio shows, and even dolls. Alice Hegan Rice spins the memorable tale of a family struggling against all odds in the Cabbage Patch, an old Louisville slum "where ramshackle cottages played hop-scotch over the railroad tracks." This hopeful story follows the Wiggs as they face eviction from their dilapidated house and take in two orphanage fugitives. Out of print for many years, this charming, funny chronicle of hope triumphing over despair is finally available to a new generation of readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

When Lucy, a beautiful benefactress, comes to Mrs. Wiggs and her children with gifts of food and clothing, the family gives her a sense of her own true wealth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,918,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible