Big Little Lies (2014)

by Liane Moriarty

A murder... a tragic accident... or just parents behaving badly? What's indisputable is that someone is dead. But who did what? Big Little Lies follows three women, each at a crossroads: Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She's funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline's youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline's teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline's ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?). Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn't be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay. New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.… (more)
Recently added byMemebookshop, CalG5, JoeB1934, atheist_goat, irylie, private library, m3talman, Nerdyrev1
    Little Children by Tom Perrotta (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unexpected disruptions to everyday routines cause otherwise comfortable suburban communities to unravel in these witty, character-driven novels. However, one shocking catalyst drives the plot of Big Little Lies, whereas various factors contribute to the drama in Little Children.… (more)
    The Lifeguards by Amanda Eyre Ward (Micheller7)
    The Hive by Gill Hornby (chazzard)

English (357)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (363)
An excellent book. Starts off incredibly slow, but continues to build and build. I enjoyed how each chapter was an individual's point of view at that moment as it builds to trivia night. One also doesn't know what happened until the end, which was also fun. Great and funny writing. It was fun to see how each woman seemed to have it together, but in home life, in their pasts, and internally each was dealing with a giant weight. Great read. ( )
  Nerdyrev1 | Nov 23, 2022 |
A cleverly written book set in an Australian village, revolving around the parents (mostly mothers) of a new Kindergarten class at the local school. A tragedy takes place in the first chapter, during a parents' evening, but we don't learn what exactly happened until the end of the book.

The action moves back six months as we follow the events in the lives of several women, in particular three who become friendly at the Kindergarten induction day, despite a nasty incident of bullying in the school. There are lots of subplots, much that's thought-provoking, and some very serious issues covered. They're done sensitively, yet with some humorous touches that lighten the mood.

One of the best books I've read in a long time. I could hardly put it down. Definitely recommended.

Longer review here: https://suesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2022/11/big-little-lies-by-liane-moriarty.h... ( )
  SueinCyprus | Nov 4, 2022 |
Set in Australia in present day, this book is an unusual combination of a murder mystery and a story about families with children in Kindergarden. It is unusual in that we do not know who has died, and the circumstances surrounding the death, until near the end.

The plot revolves around three friends with children in the same class:
– Jane is a young single mother. She and her five-year-old son, Ziggy, have just moved to the area. Her son is accused of bullying.
– Madeline is a twice married mother with three children (one from her first and two from her current marriage). Her ex-husband, his new wife, and their daughter have recently moved nearby.
– Celeste is a wealthy woman and the mother of five-year-old twin boys. Her handsome, rich, and powerful husband is abusing her.

The plot follows the stories of the three friends, their interactions with the other mothers, their family situations, and their life histories. Between each chapter, it inserts short excerpts from police interviews. These snippets gradually give the reader more information and the climactic scenes make it clear what happened. Major themes include domestic violence and bullying.

It took a long time to introduce the large number of characters and keep them all straight in my mind. But I kept reading and it fell into place. I enjoyed the strong and believable characters. I think the unusual approach to the murder mystery is very effective. I liked the use of humor to lighten the heavy themes. It felt a bit lengthy in places, with a few extraneous storylines that may not have been strictly necessary.

Throughout the story, readers will gain understanding of the reasons some people stay in abusive relationships as well as some of the options available to them. It also shows the importance of getting a full picture of a situation before jumping to judgment. I ended up appreciating it more than expected.
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
Watched the HBO mini series, then decided to read the book to see the differences. They are very similar. One or two characters are added in the book, and Abigail is a little different from the TV series. ( )
  JoeYee | Oct 27, 2022 |
It's a mystery, and it deals with domestic violence, but it's disguised as a "fluffy Beach read."
one thing about the characterization I have to disagree with: Celeste and Perry have a problem with domestic violence. Perry hits her, and then she's attracted to him and wants to have sex with him afterwards. This is not what victims of domestic violence do. It makes you hate them, and it makes you hate sex forever after.

Madeline has a great husband, though the father of her oldest daughter abandoned them. She has enough money to buy great clothes, but she's not happy, because she's seeing signs of aging. However, Madeline is only 40 years old.
"Madeline made a face at herself in the mirror and turned away. She didn't want to admit, even to herself, just how much the aging of her face really did genuinely depress her. She wanted to be above such superficial concerns. She wanted to be depressed about the state of the world, not the crumpling and creasing of her skin. Each time she saw evidence of the natural aging of her body, she felt irrationally ashamed, as if she weren't trying hard enough...."

Also, I hated that Celeste was so rich that she could have an apartment all set up for herself and her boys to escape to. That doesn't happen in real life. You're stuck with the man, and he knows it, because you are dependent on him financially, because you're a woman.
"Up until now, she had never been able to leave Perry because she couldn't imagine where she would go, how they would live. It was a mindset. It seemed impossible. This way, she would have an entire life set up, awaiting activation. She would have beds made up for the boys. She would have the fridge stocked. She would have toys and clothes in the cupboard. SHe wouldn't even need to pack a bag. She would have an enrollment form filled out for the local school.
She would be ready."

When you are being abused by a man, lyou think that you are stuck with him, because you don't have enough money to leave. But one day, you realize you have to do everything in your power to get out, otherwise your children will think that domestic violence is normal. The girls will grow up to be women looking for men to punish them, and the boys will grow up looking for women to punish.
"The boys had always been her reason to stay, but now for the first time they were her reason to leave. She'd allowed violence to become a normal part of their life. Over The last 5 years Celeste herself had developed a kind of imperviousness and acceptance of violence that allowed her to hit back and sometimes even hit first. She scratched, she kicked, she slapped. As if it were normal. She hated it, but she did it. If she stayed, that was the legacy she was giving her boys."

"They walked to the park bench with the plaque dedicating it to VICTOR BERG, WHO LOVED TO WALK AROUND THIS HEADLAND. Those we love don't go away, they sit beside us every day. It always made Jane think of poppy, who was born the same year as victor." ( )
  burritapal | Oct 23, 2022 |

Moriarty, Lianeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andersson, KerstinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taupeau, BéatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You hit me, you hit me, now you have to kiss me
-SCHOOL YARD CHANT
Pirriwee Public School...where we live and learn by the sea!  Pirriwee is a BULLY-FREE ZONE!  We do not bully.  We do not accept being bullied.  We never keep bullying a secret.  We have the courage to speak up if we see our friends bullied.  We say NO to bullies.
With love to Margaret
"That doesn't sound like school trivia night," said Mrs. Patty Ponder to Marie Antoinette. "That sounds like a riot."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,883,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible