Stone Soup: An Old Tale (1947)

by Marcia Brown

When three hungry soldiers come to a town where all the food has been hidden, they set out to make soup of water and stones, and all the town enjoys a feast.

Allegory ( )
  J.Nicodemus | Apr 26, 2021 |
I liked this book for two reasons, and I didn’t like the book for one reason. The first I liked the book was because of the illustrations. I think that the illustrations enhanced the story and allowed the reader to visualize the soup that the soldiers were making and see all the ingredients that went into it, especially for someone who has never had stone soup before. The second reason that I liked Stone Soup is because it pushed the reader to think about larger issues. For instance, in the story the soldiers and the villagers had very little to eat. The readers are then considering the perspectives of both of these groups, and think about what is the correct moral decision in this scenario. The reason that I didn’t like this book was because in the story was because of the plot, and it seemed like the soldiers were trying to trick the villagers into giving them food, but the villagers also didn’t have enough food. While the soldiers were struggling and did need more food, they were also taking from needy people as well. The main message of the story was that sharing is useful and would benefit the larger group. The villagers could have shared a little bit from each of their food supplies, and the soldiers wouldn’t have tricked them.
  mvanem1 | May 7, 2020 |
Stone Soup is the story of three hungry, tired soldiers who are looking for some food and a place to rest in a village filled with people who are afraid of strangers, especially hungry soldiers who will take what they claim to have so little of. When they saw that the soldiers were coming, they begin to hide all of their food so that the soldiers cannot find a single bite. The soldiers ask for food and shelter, to which the villagers say they cannot provide. The soldiers then tell the villagers that they will make soup from three smooth stones. The villagers are so fascinated with this idea and are suddenly able to bring a pot, water, and stones together to make the soup. The cunning soldiers hint that a few vegetables would make the soup even better, and the villagers go and collect all of the vegetables they had previously said they didn't have. The soldiers and villagers then enjoy a huge feast together, The villagers even volunteer to bring meat, bread, and cider to the feast. The end of the story finds the originally unwelcoming villagers thanking the soldiers for having introduced them to stone soup because it was just so delicious. Of course, I would use this story to teach about sharing and giving to others what you have, as many cultures believe in giving so that more can be bestowed upon them. In addition, I would use this story as a "storytelling without a book" book, where props could be used to tell the story in a fun, interactive way. I have seen this be incredibly successful for preschool before, and have seen that Scholastic Book Wizard has identified the readability of this text as PreK-3, which makes sense. Students can be involved in the acting out of this story and even create their own "stone soup" with rebus charts and home literacy bags/boxes. This story has many activities that can be used with it, so I would give it a 4/5. ( )
  huntema19 | Apr 28, 2020 |
I noticed that in most folklore books there's magic and it is usually revealed by a magical character or a magical solution. In this story, the soldiers propose a magical solution that tricks the villagers into feeding them. The story is short and the language is simple so it is good for younger audiences. I also think the children would enjoy the idea of people making a soup of rocks. My favorite part of the book is that only the colors red, black, and white are used for the illustrations. ( )
  Haley_dennis | Mar 25, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this Traditional Literature book. My grandmother had read it to me when I was little so reading it made me very nostalgic. The overall message of this book was sharing is good. The illustrations in the book helped to enhance the story and I felt as though they were appropriate to the mood of the story. The writing was very engaging and paced well. I felt as though I was able to understand the book even though it did not have a ton of writing in it. ( )
  alunds1 | Oct 20, 2019 |
To my mother and father
Three soldiers trudged down a road in a strange country.
"Such a soup! How good it smelled! Truly fit for a king. But then the peasants asked themselves, 'Would not such a soup require bread-and a roast-and cider?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,244,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible