Stone Soup: An Old Tale (1947)

by Marcia Brown

When three hungry soldiers come to a town where all the food has been hidden, they set out to make soup of water and stones, and all the town enjoys a feast.

The story "Stone Soup" tells the tale of three French soldiers who passed by a town and asked the villagers for some food. When the villagers refused to share their goods, the soldiers thought of a different idea to make a good meal for everyone. I like this book because it teaches about kindness sharing and ho something little like stone soup can go a long way. ( )
  mcervantes4 | Mar 11, 2022 |
The classic tale of Stone Soup, set in early, war-time France. ( )
  LarisaAWhite | Nov 18, 2021 |
Independent Reading Level: Grade 1-2
Awards: Caldecott Medal (1948)
  NiaMHackney | Nov 13, 2021 |
Allegory ( )
  J.Nicodemus | Apr 26, 2021 |
I liked this book for two reasons, and I didn’t like the book for one reason. The first I liked the book was because of the illustrations. I think that the illustrations enhanced the story and allowed the reader to visualize the soup that the soldiers were making and see all the ingredients that went into it, especially for someone who has never had stone soup before. The second reason that I liked Stone Soup is because it pushed the reader to think about larger issues. For instance, in the story the soldiers and the villagers had very little to eat. The readers are then considering the perspectives of both of these groups, and think about what is the correct moral decision in this scenario. The reason that I didn’t like this book was because in the story was because of the plot, and it seemed like the soldiers were trying to trick the villagers into giving them food, but the villagers also didn’t have enough food. While the soldiers were struggling and did need more food, they were also taking from needy people as well. The main message of the story was that sharing is useful and would benefit the larger group. The villagers could have shared a little bit from each of their food supplies, and the soldiers wouldn’t have tricked them.
  mvanem1 | May 7, 2020 |
To my mother and father
Three soldiers trudged down a road in a strange country.
"Such a soup! How good it smelled! Truly fit for a king. But then the peasants asked themselves, 'Would not such a soup require bread-and a roast-and cider?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,560,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible