The Girl Savage by Katherine Rundell

The Girl Savage

by Katherine Rundell

Will (Wihelmina) loves her wonderful, wild life on the hot, dusty African farm where she is free to roam, climb trees and play with her best friend Simon and numerous animals all day long. Unfortunately her idyllic life comes to an abrupt halt after her father dies from malaria and her father’s friend and new guardian Captain Browne marries a heartless woman. Given no choice by his new wife he is forced to sell the farm and send Will to a strict boarding school in London. Stuck inside a rigid building in a strange, cold climate and struggling to exist in a culture she does not understand, Will is bullied by the other girls at the school who also do not understand her. This well-written, remarkable story, written for tweens, by the author of “Rooftoppers” will be enjoyed by all.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Cartwheeling in Thunderstorms is a novel of joy and love and freedom. Young Will is passionately in love with her life in Zimbabwe, South Africa and with her father. Her joy cartwheels across the page in vibrant escapades with best friend, Simon. The two wildlings race across the fields while hanging upside down from their horse's necks; roast bananas spiked with sugar in outdoor fires; punch boys who are cruel to monkeys. Will hurls herself into her father's arms upon his return from days away, and irons every piece of his clothing to be sure parasites don't harm him. Then the unthinkable occurs and wildcat Will is sent to a gray English boarding school filled with a pack of girls worse than hyenas. The loss of freedom and sun and all she loves drives Will to extremes, yet she retains her courage and earthy intelligence as she navigates London's strangeness. I loved Will for her fierce joy and goodness and I loved Daniel's grandmother for her wisdom. Read Cartwheeling in Thunderstorms for the sheer joy of it. ( )
  bookwren | Mar 10, 2016 |
This book is brilliant! Touching, beautifully written, and full of life, I cannot use enough adjectives to shout my praises of the book. While Rundell doesn't score points for plot complexity, she makes up for it with her words. This story is so well told and the details are exquisite. Following Will from Zimbabwe to London, is a journey of the heart. You'll cry with her, cheer for her, and feel for her as she tries to find her way in the world. Katherine Rundell is an amazing author and I can't wait for her next story. This book is an excellent read aloud pick too. ( )
  Jessie_Lynne | Aug 28, 2015 |
Boston Globe winner, recommend for older kids as good choice for Y/A literature.
  JohnsonTam | Jul 27, 2015 |
(218) ( )
  activelearning | Dec 28, 2014 |
To my parents
Wilhelmina knew that there were some houses that had glass in every window and locks on the doors.
"You can't understand, what the sun was like." She didn't know if she could explain - what it was like when crickets sang every day and you couldn't feel where you stopped and the sunshine began.

"I don't ... I can't describe it. Imagine if there's just trees, ja, and grass and boys and bats, ja, and warthogs and dragonflies. And nobody hates you. And you could run, ja, or ride, for miles, and if you got lost, the women just gave you mangoes and aspirin and directions - and once, I fell out of a tree, and they gave me a ridgeback, to keep, ja. You can't know. It was liking living in pure blue." (p. 228)

"Will must find her way after she's plucked out of a wonderful life in Zimbabwe and forced to go to boarding school in England"--Provided by publisher.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,642,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible