dismiss

A Little Something Different

by Sandy Hall

Series: Swoon Reads

College students Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class and have the same interests, but it looks like things are never going to work out between them because Lea is a little aloof and Gabe is a little shy.

This was a cute take of two people who finally get together. A little lack of confidence, a dose of miscommunication, but a whole lot of people pulling for the final outcome makes the story a fun one to read. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Feb 27, 2020 |
Cute romance told from the point of view of the surrounding characters. It had the same main issue as all rom coms (in my opinion). OPEN YOUR MOUTHS AND USE YOUR WORDS. But it was cute. ( )
  bookwormteri | Feb 8, 2019 |
This is the story of two kids named Gabe and Lea. The people around them think they should be together, yet they can't seem to make things work. Both are a bit shy and a bit awkward. They do like each other, but can't express it. The people around them are trying to help push them together because they are meant to be.

This was an okay book. Definitely written for the younger crowd. It is a sappy love story and a lot of time you are left feeling frustrated about how dumb the two main characters are being. There are 12 people in Gabe and Lea's life that see the chemistry that these two have, and are constantly trying to pull them together. The author keeps referencing a "tragedy" that happened to Gabe to make him the way he is, and - no offense - the tragedy doesn't turn out to be that big of a deal. No one died - just for the record. I won't reveal what it is, but trust me - you will roll your eyes.

I didn't really love the story. It was.....eh. I read it in a day and a half. It is definitely something I would let my 13 year old daughter read - there is no language, or heavy love scenes. And the writing is right at her level. As for adults? I would say pass. ( )
1 vote JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
A Little Something Different was such a fun and endearing read. I loved the writing style and uniqueness of the story structure.
This is Gabe and Lea's story and we follow them through the people in their lives. We see them from their closest friends, from their classmates, from strangers, and from inanimate objects. You can't help but care about these characters and become invested in their lives because you read from the points of view of characters who care and are invested in their lives to varying degrees. I loved seeing Gabe's friends support and encourage him through all of his self-doubts after his accident. It was great to see a male character actually discuss his feelings with other male characters and discuss therapy without being shames for it .
This book was such a comfort read; it lifted my spirits and put a smile on my face. I highly recommend it, and it would be a great quick read if you need to get out of a reading slump. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
***CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS***

This book was okay. I really loved the concept of the different points of view and how we never know who is looking at us and wondering about us. It was definitely interesting to witness how many different people were so invested in seeing the relationship between Gabe and Lea progress. At times, it got repetitive and some parts were very slow but nevertheless it was an interesting concept.

While this was a cute love story, I think there are important themes to talk about. A lot of people misinterpreted Gabe's shyness for rudeness at times because of the way he would stare at people's lips or wouldn't reply when he was being spoken to. It was difficult for him to accept that he had been left deaf in one ear after his accident. Had he been honest about his condition from the very beginning, things would have been more clear for many people who plain out thought he was shy, weird or rude. However, at the same time, it goes to show that things are never really what they appear. Some people may have thought he was rude or weird without thinking that maybe he was acting that way for a reason.

Overall I enjoyed the story. ( )
  Silent_Whispers | Mar 30, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,215,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible