Time of Wonder (1957)

by Robert McCloskey

A tale of humans and animals engaged in their summer seasonal activities (and enduring an early-season hurricane) on Penobscot Bay. ( )
  LarisaAWhite | Nov 18, 2021 |
A boy and girl spend the summer in Maine, exploring their island home. But weather is coming, and everyone pitches in to try and save the boats from a hurricane. ( )
1 vote lisaladdvt | Jul 6, 2019 |
Blueberries for Sal and especially One Morning in Maine were favorites for me as a child, but I'd never come across this one. The illustrations are watercolors and only recognizably McCloskey's style near the end when we see the characters at home. The illustrations are, however, still lovely. The text is dense and often flowery and abstract, but eventually I warmed to it a bit. It's about the beauty of nature on a Maine island in summertime and about the peace (and sometimes violence) and wonder of it. Not sure how much it would resonant with children (especially younger ones), but it was a pleasant read for me as an adult. ( )
1 vote lycomayflower | May 6, 2018 |
This beautiful picture book follows two youth as they enjoy a summer in Maine. The story follows the children as they explore the natural world, prepare for a hurricane storm, and enjoy daily activities associated with life on the water. The book demonstrates a great appreciation for the natural world, a reverence and respect for nature and its power, the powerful bonds of friendship, and the importance of family. It encourages a sense of wonder and discovery for readers, and it also discusses the changing of the seasons, and the activities and life adjustments associated with each one.
1 vote Kathrin.McCoy | Nov 9, 2017 |
Being a girl who has seen her way around beaches and nature of her own, I am a firm believer in having fun and wandering in the fun of your youth. This book however, has a very eloquent way of making nature and life itself bland. The illustration and coloring of the story are breathtaking, yet the words steal the glory of the book with their dry and complex nature. If I were a young child, I would not be able to keep up with the 2nd person narration. I often found myself dozing off and losing interest on reading this book all together. ( )
  lpittman | Feb 9, 2017 |
Out on the islands that poke their rocky shores above the waters of Penobscot Bay, you can watch the time of the world go by, from minute to minute, hour to hour, from day to day, season to season.

Follows the activities of two children spending their summer vacation on an island off the coast of Maine. Describes the enchanting beauty of the island in rain, fog, sunshine, and hurricane.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,312,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible