Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian

Post Captain (1972)

by Patrick O'Brian

Series: Aubrey-Maturin (2)

Recently added byhawtbug, LoisMMurray, private library, Soothscribe, birdsonwire, oscarew, Over_Lib

English (53)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (58)
Vintage O'Brian. You can tell it's early in the series as Aubrey and Maturin are not as well fleshed out as characters as in later books, but all the same what page-turning yarn, very evocative of the time, place and people. Feel like reading another AubreyMaturin in straight succession! ( )
  malcrf | Dec 8, 2018 |
Dr Stephen Maturin leads Captain Jack Aubrey to the spy's Spanish castle. Best pals compete over manipulative widow Diana Villiers. Stephen encourages shy Sophia to Jack; Jack flees bailiffs after prize agent steals money. Jealous cuckold assigns Jack poorly-built experimental ship on poorly-conceived mission with too few and raw crew. Jack fights on.
  JESGalway | Apr 10, 2018 |
After the events of Master and Commander, Captain Jack Aubrey and his good friend Dr. Stephen Maturin find themselves briefly ashore. Jack is hoping to be made post captain after his adventures on the Sophie, but things look grim. He and Stephen both meet some delightful ladies and another Sophia may hold his affections... but then Jack is swindled of his prize money and he's now in danger of debtors' prison if he doesn't get another ship.

This book suffered from length - both itself over 500 pages and it took forever for the story to get going, but also the length of time I spent reading it. I remembered the first book as being pretty high action, but this one was plodding at times and it was often not the first book I wanted to pick up, even though much of the time I had to put it aside to read books more urgent, such as my book club read for this month. Simon Vance's narration is superb, and once I focused on reading/listening to this one almost exclusively, it worked a little better for me. I enjoy the characters and time period, and will try the next book in the series before I decide I've read enough. ( )
  bell7 | Dec 19, 2017 |
I loved this book! I think it's actually better than the first--you get a much fuller character study of both Aubrey and Maturin. There are not as many battles but there are still quite a few. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
This is the most 'Jane Austen-like' of the Aubrey/Maturin novels, perhaps on purpose. Much of it takes place ashore, and as much of it concerns young ladies' prospects as concerns Napoleonic battles. Most importantly, it takes the two fully-realized characters introduced in 'Master & Commander' and builds a grand world around them.

The book is long - 'prodigiously long, sir!' - but is no less wonderful for it. The ridiculous adventure of Captain Jack in the bear-skin, the introduction of the fiery Dianna Villiers, the secretive wisdom and eccentricity of Stephen Maturin; every episode is a delight, every battle a thrill, every conversation intriguing. The world of Napoleonic England - and especially of His Majesty's Royal Navy - is real authentic to the last detail. This book is the prime example of historical fiction. You will be transported.

Do not be sad when you have finished it. There are 18 more stories, of equal and even better quality, and by the time you finish them all you will be ready to start again. ( )
  ddueck88 | Nov 15, 2016 |

Waldegrave, WilliamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wannenmacher, JuttaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
For Mary, with love
At first dawn the swathes of rain drifting eastwards across the Channel parted long enough to show that the chase had altered course.
'As for mutinies in general,' said Stephen, 'I am all in favour of 'em. You take men from their homes or their chosen professions, you confine them in insalubrious conditions upon a wholly inadequate diet, you subject them to the tyranny of bosun's mates, you expose them to unimagined perils; what is more, you defraud them of their meagre food, pay and allowances -- everything but this sacred rum of yours. Had I been at Spithead, I should certainly have joined the mutineers. Indeed, I am astonished at their moderation.'
     'Pray, Stephen, do not speak like this, nattering about the service; it makes me so very low. I know things are not perfect, but I cannot reform the world and run a man-of-war. In any case, be candid, and think of the Sophie -- think of any happy ship.'
     'There are such things, sure; but they depend upon the whim, the digestion and the virtue of one or two men, and that is iniquitous. I am opposed to authority, that egg of misery and oppression; I am opposed to it largely for what it does to those who exercise it.'
'I cannot tell you what a relief it is,' he said, bending to see whether the Amethyst's forestaysail were drawing, 'to be at sea. It is so clear and simple. I do not mean just escaping from the bums; I mean all the complications of life on shore. I do not think I am well suited to the land.' [Aubrey]
This morning, when I was walking beside the coach as it laboured up Ports Down Hill and I came to the top, with all Portsmouth harbour suddenly spread below me, and Gosport, Spithead and perhaps half the Channel Fleet glittering there - a powerful squadron moving out past Haslar in line ahead, all studdingsails abroad - I felt a longing for the sea. It has a great cleanliness. There are moments when everything on land seems to me tortuous, dark and squalid; though to be sure, squalor is not lacking aboard a man-of-war. [Maturin's diary]
A foolish German had said that man thought in words. It was totally false; a pernicious doctrine; the thought flashed into being in a hundred simultaneous forms, with a thousand associations, and the speaking mind selected one, forming it grossly into the inadequate symbols of words, inadequate because common to disparate situations - admitted to be inadequate for vast regions of expression, since for them there were the parallel languages of music and painting. Words were not called for in many or indeed most forms of thought: Mozart certainly thought in terms of music. He himself at this moment was thinking in terms of scent. [Maturin musing in an opera box]

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393307069, Paperback)

The year is 1803, and that scalawag Napoleon Bonaparte has gone to war again. For Captain Jack Aubrey, who has fled to France to escape his creditors, this is doubly alarming news. In short order the captain is interned, makes his escape across the French countryside, and leads a ship into battle. And again, his adventures are cleverly counterpointed by those of his alter ego Stephen Maturin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

Presents the continuation of Jack Aubrey's life as the Peace of Amiens docks the Commander onshore, to France, and back to sea.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393307069, 0393037029

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,512,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible