dismiss

Up a Road Slowly (1966)

by Irene Hunt

After her mother's death, Julie goes to live with Aunt Cordelia, a spinster schoolteacher, where she experiences many emotions and changes as she grows from seven to eighteen.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (nessreader)
    nessreader: Melancholic atmospheric coming of age books about introspective girls
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (atimco)
    atimco: Both stories are about the bittersweet coming-of-age of a young girl, with memorable characters and excellent prose.

There are so many "coming of age" books available, but this one is special, not surprising considering who the author is. Irene Hunt writes "real" people, with "real" issues, not the usual stereotypical characters that are so common in young adult literature. Told from a first-person point of view, we are witness to young Julie's inner issues, her desire to control situations, and eventually, to her growth into a young woman. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 27, 2020 |
This Newbery Award winning book was a pick for my book group. It sparked a lively discussion. I really enjoyed it, but found it to be more appropriate for adults or young adults. The material seemed quite dense for a child. Wonderful characters, some flawed, all growing. A wonderful unfolding of an unusual family. A lot to ponder. ( )
  njcur | Dec 1, 2018 |
I really liked this story of Julie growing up and learning about love and family. Julie is a real girl - full of flaws and selfishness and loyalty and love. I especially appreciated her realization of where home really was and what love means.There aren't a lot of exciting plot twists, but there is a nice sense of growing up and "coming of age". ( )
  tjsjohanna | Dec 13, 2017 |
The book ended a chapter before the author quit writing. Otherwise it was good.
  barefootcowgirl | Jul 29, 2016 |
Up a Road Slowly is the 1967 Newberry winner, although it seems like an odd choice. I really liked the book, but it wasn’t at all like most Newberry winners. First of all, there really wasn’t much action or adventure or much of a forward moving plot to speak of. It is mostly a girl’s overly insightful reflections upon her childhood and teenage years and the people that influenced her life for better or for worse. This doesn’t seem like a book I would have liked as a kid. I’m not sure what the target age is for the Newberry award, but somehow the thoughts and emotions of the narrator seemed almost too mature and complicated for young readers. But I liked it. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |

Hunt, Ireneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salden-Campfens, L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Beulah, Shirley, and Freda
Three children stood outside our gate in the bright October sunlight, silent and still as figurines in a gift shop window, watching each step I took as I came slowly down the flagstone walk across the lawn.

Julie would remember her happy days at Aunt Cordelia's forever. Running through the spacious rooms, singing on rainy nights in front of the fireplace. There were the rides in the woods on Peter the Great and the races with Danny Trevort. There were the precious moments alone in her room at night, gazing up at a sea of stars.
But there were sad times, too- the painful jealousy Julie felt after her sister married, the tragic death of a school mate
and the bitter disapointment of first love.
Julie was having a hard time believing life was fair. But Julie would have to be fair to herself before she could even think about new beginnings...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,069,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible