Golden Son

by Pierce Brown

Series: Red Rising Saga (2)

"With shades of The Hunger Games, Ender's Game, and Game of Thrones, debut author Pierce Brown's genre-defying epic Red Rising hit the ground running and wasted no time becoming a sensation. Golden Son continues the stunning saga of Darrow, a rebel forged by tragedy, battling to lead his oppressed people to freedom from the overlords of a brutal elitist future built on lies. Now fully embedded among the Gold ruling class, Darrow continues his work to bring down Society from within. A life-or-death tale of vengeance with an unforgettable hero at its heart, Golden Son guarantees Pierce Brown's continuing status as one of fiction's most exciting new voices. Praise for Red Rising "[A] spectacular adventure. one heart-pounding ride. Pierce Brown's dizzyingly good debut novel evokes The Hunger Games, Lord of the Flies, and Ender's Game. [Red Rising] has everything it needs to become meteoric."--Entertainment Weekly "I don't know what Pierce Brown did before he started writing books, but whatever it was, he was wasting his time. Fast-paced, gripping, well-written--the sort of book you cannot put down. I am already on the lookout for the next one."--Terry Brooks, New York Times bestselling author of The Sword of Shannara "Pierce Brown has done an astounding job at delivering a powerful piece of literature that will definitely make a mark in the minds of readers."--The Huffington Post "Ender, Katniss, and now Darrow: Pierce Brown's empire-crushing debut is a sprawling vision of humanity's diaspora to the stars."--Scott Sigler, New York Times bestselling author of Nocturnal "[A] great debut. The author gathers a spread of elements together in much the same way George R. R. Martin does."--Tor.com"--… (more)

I really liked Red Rising, but this one felt like more of a slog. It wasn't a bad book but it wasn't anything that felt new and fresh either. Like many 2nd books in an ongoing series, it can't truly break new ground (we know these characters), it can't wrap up plot lines (because where would the next book go) and it can't introduce too many new plotlines (without becoming Wheel of Time). Instead, its forced to tread water while getting characters where they need to be for the end game. Some books really do that well, and some books....not so much. That said, the ending left me just intrigued enough to read the next, if only to find out how Brown writes himself out of the corner he's put our hero in. ( )
  Jthierer | Jan 26, 2022 |
"Golden Son" was a wild ride. I had to pay attention to shifting alliances. It required reading "Red Rising" to appreciate the nuances. There was family, love, war, and a lot of politics. It is worth a second read.

I am off to read the sequel, "Morning Star." ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
I listened to the first volume a while ago, and I was impressed. I thought it to be the best scifi-story I'd heard in a long while -- but I think the second volume is even better. Golden Son is so chock-full of surprises it dazzled me. Just when I thought a certain thing might happen -- bang, something else entirely happened. The characters were already well developed in book one (Red Rising), but they go on to develop, and they keep surprising the reader. Most of them aren't just good or bad (well, a few are), and even Darrow learns that his and Eo's dream may not have the outcome they wanted, or find the approval of those they want to free. They never actually thought of the consequences. Still, Darrow steadily moves on towards his goal, but then something terrible happens. I absolutely loved this book, and I'll listen to the third volume asap. Tim Gerard Reynolds, the narrator, did an excellent job again in bringing the characters to life. If you haven't read the first book, I'd recommend you do so. For one, it will help you to understand this story better, as the characters will already be familiar, and second: it's a great story, too. ( )
  Belana | Dec 15, 2021 |
Trilogy improved with each book. ( )
  jimgosailing | Nov 18, 2021 |
Sometimes I don't know when to quit a series. There's really a lot of things I could like about Pierce Brown's work-- the epic space opera of it all, the political drama and social intrigue, but it's all spoiled by the characters, the crummy romance, and the pacing.

I can't express the antipathy I feel towards the protagonist, who engages in stunningly callous acts of both implicit disrespect and outright betrayal, then has the gall to act surprised when he, ahem, reaps what he sows.

Of the few characters I liked, they almost without exception either become monstrous or die. If that's intended as a statement by the author about their society, well, I would counter that they become uninteresting, unlikeable monsters, and that's a failure.

Further, the female characters are only seen in relation to Darrow, and while I like best the character of Virginia, it seems she suffers the problem of existing solely for the main character to woo. Sure, she probably gets a Big Damn Heroes moment in the next book, but it's just not enough. Worse still is the fact that she is referred to almost exclusively by her nickname, "Mustang", whereas other nicknamed characters receive a more even mix of name and sobriquet. It treads rather near to some kind of subconscious dehumanization.

But I still read this sequel, and I might eventually give the finale a shot, just to see where it goes. More likely, though, I'll read the plot summary on Wikipedia and call that enough. ( )
  MCBacon | Aug 2, 2021 |

Brown, Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arnold, TommyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To mother,
who taught me to speak
Once upon a time, a man came from the sky and killed my wife.

'I'm still playing games. This is just the deadliest yet.'

Darrow is a rebel forged by tragedy. For years he and his fellow Reds worked the mines, toiling to make the surface of Mars inhabitable. They were, they believed, mankind's last hope. Until Darrow discovered that it was all a lie, and that the Red were nothing more than unwitting slaves to an elitist ruling class, the Golds, who had been living on Mars in luxury for generations.

In RED RISING, Darrow infiltrated Gold society, to fight in secret for a better future for his people. Now fully embedded amongst the Gold ruling class, Darrow continues his dangerous work to bring them down from within. It's a journey that will take him further than he's ever been before - but is Darrow truly willing to pay the price that rebellion demands?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Pierce Brown's book Golden Son was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,339,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible