The Glass Cage: Automation and Us by…

The Glass Cage: Automation and Us (2014)

by Nicholas Carr

In The Glass Cage, best-selling author Nicholas Carr digs behind the headlines about factory robots and self-driving cars, wearable computers and digitized medicine, as he explores the hidden costs of granting software dominion over our work and our leisure and reveals something we already suspect: shifting our attention to computer screens can leave us disengaged and discontented.… (more)

English (9)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (11)
This book provides an interesting and necessary alternative way to think about technological progress and it's potential casualties. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
A moving, lyrical and rather beautiful meditation on the future of automation and the future of humanity. Nicholas Carr has some serious points to make about how automation, efficient and superficially advantageous as it is, can not only diminish our skills but our fundamental abilities and ultimately our sense of worth. This is not some anti-diluvian, Luddite tract (although Carr has a lot of respect for the Luddites) rather a plea for the human not to be removed entirely from the machine and the algorhthym. Carr has some frankly frightening examples from the world of aviation of how pilots now have so little flying to do (often less than 5 minutes per flight) that they are paying less attention and risk losing their skills. He is surely right when he points out that habitual use of GPS and digital maps changes the way we interact with our environment, reducing the world between our front door and our "destination" to meaningless public space. It can never again really be about "the journey". He is right that our mobile devices, constantly demanding our attention with their pings and beeps, prevent us from attaining immersion or flow in any activity. In short, we need human centric innovation and automation

Very well worth reading ( )
  Opinionated | Jun 30, 2018 |
The author looks at the role of automation in our world, and how it is changing the condition of being human. Some ways might be for the better, he argues, but in all, we are ceding a lot to machines that humans are actually better at, and we are losing vital skills. In addition, it may not always be the best choice to have super fast, super efficient decision making, and he discusses the situations where that might not be as desirable as we think. The final chapter deals with the issue of morals, and how we build in algorithms to help automatons make moral decisions without having an active conscience. Well written, cogent, and well researched. One of my main complaints is that the book acts as though there is nothing that could change the forward progress of technology, that could knock out the systems, and leave us facing a less technological future without the skills we need to do it, even though there are several feasible scenarios by which that could happen, either temporarily or permanently. Other than that, a must read for educators, CEOs, and anyone else who lives and breathes in the world. ( )
  Devil_llama | Aug 25, 2016 |
Another great book treating about next intelligence ! A kind of smart alchemy coming from pure robot and Google trans-humanism project ... Well - useless to say that this is actually the next jump to pure automation world !
Thanks Nicholas for giving us highlights of what could be the new paradigm of knowledge and therefore the potential to add it into our life ;()

Dec, 24th - 2015 ( )
  Fouad_Bendris | Dec 24, 2015 |
Very interesting insight into how automation giveth and takes away.
  achaiah | Sep 19, 2015 |

Nicholas Carrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garceau, PeteCover designer and artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No one

to witness
and adjust, no one to drive the car

-- William Carlos Williams
To Ann
On January 4, 2013, the first Friday of a new year, a dead day newswise, the Federal Aviation Administraion released a one-page notice. (Introduction)
Among the humiliations of my teenage years was one that might be termed psycho-mechanical: my very public struggle to master a manual transmission.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,527,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible